Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 01:04:33 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Checking In

Started by Virgs Sew n Sew, March 24, 2017, 05:56:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Virgs Sew n Sew

The days seem to go by in a whirlwind these days.

Still working on the bimini project; and, at the same time, I'm cutting and sewing on the oversize recliners for my BIL & SIL.  Prom season and my Bernina has been in the shop for over a month now so I've had to fall back on my 1993 purchased Singer.  It is still a fine machine and sews a nice stitch but just slower and I love a lot of the extras that came with my Bernina.

Bimini is coming along nicely.  It's a 2 piece bimini and the smaller section is complete, except for sewing the binding on raw edges.  You guys are right about the Tempotest.  I've found it a dream to work with.  My only complaint is with my work area.  Just a little cramped when handling a large amount of fabric but that's on my, not the Tempotest.  Section completed fits the bows nicely so crossing my fingers that the other half of the project goes as well.  If I keep on schedule, I'll finish up around the middle of April.  I've found, that for me, this goes best if I knock out one thing at a time (cut a large piece, sew one of the zippers that runs the length of the fabric, etc.).  Customer wants it by Memorial Day so is thrilled about my timeline. 

Recliners are also coming along nicely.  Even with BIL's Son-in-Law tearing the sections apart, I was still amazed at how much tear out was left.  I uncover a piece of fabric, only to find another piece with a zillion staples.  Basically done tearing out and have been cutting and cutting and cutting.  Made sense to me to cut for both chairs at the same time.  So once I get into the swing of sewing, things should go quickly.  Started sewing welting yesterday.  I was thrilled, during the tear out, when I discovered that the gathers on the arm pieces are elastic sewn around the fabric. 

I was kind of hoping for a breather after these two project but last week, I received a phone call from a local restaurant asking about reupholstering their booths.  I went over Friday for a look-see.  They have 2 two-toppers, 11 four-toppers and 6 eight-toppers, as well as four pieces in their waiting/overflow area.  I made by bid on Tuesday and it has been verbally accepted.  They have gone to the owners of the property asking them for some assistance -- in return, the restaurant owner will sign a 5-year lease.  Seems like a pretty good deal for both to me.  This is one of those deals that I will have all pieces sewn and ready to install and will charge in on the day the restaurant is closed and do a complete tear-out and install that day.  I asked if they were providing tear out help or if I needed to hire a crew and the manager and several of the wait staff will be there with bells on that day.  It will be a long day but do-able.  Darren will be proud of me though as this is the first restaurant that I charged a good price for.   May not be up where the guys doing this for 30 years are at but substantially more than I've ever charged for anything.  I'm very confident in the finished product that I will be giving the customer (thanks to the feedback I received from my Upper Deck project), so I knew I needed to charge an amount that let them know that.  Manager has been to The Upper Deck and restaurant owner was thrilled that I'm restaurant experienced.  His only issue was starting time.  He's itching to start this "right now".  First of all, not many upholsterers are just sitting around waiting for a project and I know some of my competitors locally have wait times from 6 months to a year out.  I explained that I'm in the middle of 2 projects that have to be out of my shop before I can start anything new and told them 2 months before I can start.  I'm hoping that it will be 6 weeks or less but thought it best to give myself some fudge-factor.

Other than that, life goes on.  Missy and Joe are maturing.  Joe's middle section is thickening as he turns into a mature dog.  Missy's may be as well but only because she loves her food.  She's still crazy energetic.  I figure another year at least for her to start chilling.

Bob and I are both doing well.  We have both added a few pounds and some more gray hairs but that's how the game goes.  Hope everyone else is well and keeping busy.

Virginia 
Fuck this place.

Darren Henry

Glad you're well and doing so well. Sounds like you are just about where one likes to be work wise. I always wanted to have 4-6 weeks of income waiting.

QuoteDarren will be proud of me though as this is the first restaurant that I charged a good price for.

Yes I am. ATTA-GIRL!!!!
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Virgs Sew n Sew

Quote from: Darren Henry on March 25, 2017, 09:23:52 am
Glad you're well and doing so well. Sounds like you are just about where one likes to be work wise. I always wanted to have 4-6 weeks of income waiting.

What a difference a year can make.  This time last year, I was going stir crazy laying on the couch with a broken knee and wondering if Sew & Sew could survive it.  Things were a little lean for several months but with rehab I couldn't have done much more than I did.  Knee isn't perfect but I deal with it and gimp on about my business the days that Sir Arthur is letting me know he's around.

4-6 weeks of steady income is great.  I always have alterations come in but unless it is a prom dress or wedding dress, it is just a supplement to the upholstery.  Takes a lot of hems, zippers, etc to make what I can with an upholstery job.  I like the variety but I've known from the get go that this would need to be my bread and butter.  What was nice was finding out that I liked it and I'm reasonably good at it.

Bob's putting lunch on the table so I better get doing the boot scooting boogey!

TTYL

VIrginia
Fuck this place.

kodydog

Hi Virginia, We've been busy too so its been a while since I've talked to you.

With matching recliners I also like to cut them both out at the same time. But I refrain from stripping the second one so I can use it for reference.

Just a thought.   
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

65Buick

I am struggling to find my niche, just wanted to add that business in booming around in here in general.
I just hope there isn't a bust waiting to happen..

Virgs Sew n Sew

Quote from: kodydog on March 28, 2017, 06:15:13 pm
Hi Virginia, We've been busy too so its been a while since I've talked to you.

With matching recliners I also like to cut them both out at the same time. But I refrain from stripping the second one so I can use it for reference.

Just a thought.   

Absolutely,  Second one will not be stripped until the first one has been reassembled.

Glad you are keeping busy as well.  Seems like most must be keeping busy as the board seems pretty quiet.
Fuck this place.

Virgs Sew n Sew

Quote from: 65Buick on March 28, 2017, 07:15:54 pm
I am struggling to find my niche, just wanted to add that business in booming around in here in general.
I just hope there isn't a bust waiting to happen..

I'm not sure that I have my niche.  Just try to work on projects that I know I can do a good job on and that I will enjoy working on.  I really enjoy boats and restaurants the most.  They are just not always in demand when I'm looking for work.

Virginia
Fuck this place.

SteveA

I really enjoy boats and restaurants the most. 

Me too !

byhammerandhand

I was at the leather-maker/saddle-maker shop in Colonial Williamsburg 30 years ago or so (one of the shops my wife and kids had to drag me out of).   One of the re-creators was a British gentleman.   He said something that's always stuck with me.   He said if he was a leather-worker in England in the 1760s, and someone came in and wanted a suitcase, or shoes, or bridles, he'd be able to send them away, "I'm a saddle-maker."   But in Williamsburg, he would have to say, "Yes, sir, when do you need it?"    The morale was, some times you pick the work and sometimes the work picks you.   I remembered that when I went into business for myself.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Virgs Sew n Sew

Quote from: byhammerandhand on March 30, 2017, 05:07:01 pm
The morale was, some times you pick the work and sometimes the work picks you.   I remembered that when I went into business for myself.
LOL, that was quite good and so very true!

Met with the owner and manager of the restaurant this afternoon.  I am getting the job, also one of his other locations.  Hastings is about a 30 minute drive (I think as I haven't been there in ages).  I'm going to take a road trip to Hastings next week so I can get the lay of their shop, take pics, measurements, etc.   The Hastings shop is much smaller with 3 booths and then a lot of chairs.  I'll do both booths and chairs in Hastings.  Only doing booths in Grand Island as they just have a handful of chairs in the bar area and manager has a scheme she wants to try on her own.  If it doesn't work, then I'm sure I'll end up replacing her work as well. 

While we were waiting for the owner to arrive, one of their advertise reps came in.  One of those bouncy, personable people that is perfect for her job.  She waltzed up to me and inquired as to who I was.  I told her who I was and what I did and she got so excited because she has some outdoor furniture she wants to recover.  We exchanged cards, she is going to take pictures and email them to me.  If she doesn't have a ton of cushions, I'll try and squeeze them in on the weekends, once the bimini is finished.

Ar any rate, I don't think I'll have a shortage of work this summer.  This is the busiest I've been since the summer that I did The Upper Deck.  I know a couple of you guys have mentioned being pretty busy as well.  Is this an indicator or are we just exceptions?

Virginia
Fuck this place.

Virgs Sew n Sew

Quote from: SteveA on March 30, 2017, 01:03:37 pm
  I really enjoy boats and restaurants the most. 

Me too !

Steve:

Somehow I don't think that we mean the same thing.  LOL!

Virginia
Fuck this place.

Mojo

I think in your case your busier because your name is getting out more.

We just finished the biggest year ( 2016 ) we have ever had in the last 10 years. I truly
believe that it is because we have penetrated a larger market and our name is getting many more mentions on RV forums. Also my wife has taken over the company and now handles all phone inquiries and she is a closer. Has a great Australian accent and personality which helps sell. :)

We still spend zero dollars on advertising.

The only thing I can advise you on is be careful during slow times and don't give your work away.
Your goal should be to maintain a reputation of quality and not cheap pricing. In other words
you want customers to flock to your door because you do great work not because your cheap on pricing.

I am sure Dennis, Kody Dog and others will tell you, dealing with customers who are searching for a bargain are a royal pain in the ass during and after the sale.

Get your cards out and keep banging on doors. Referrals will boost your business.

Chris