Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:36:51 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

knots & farts?

Started by 65Buick, March 30, 2017, 01:26:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

65Buick

Spring tying:

Anyone else have trouble when you're knotting and all of a sudden you have a brain fart and can't figure out what you're doing/how to tie the knot?

And...why does the tying twine smell like it came from a farm?

MinUph

I've been tying springs for so long it is kinda natural. The smell is probably the Ruby Italian Spring Twine? It is jute and that is a natural product. Sometimes it smells if stored for along time. Probably old stock when you bought it. Not an issue as it dissipates when exposed to the fresh air.
  It is good to hear your tying knots not loops don't do the loops they will slip.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

byhammerandhand

No, but for 25+ years I wore a tie to work and church (six days a week), until both went casual.   Now I have to stop and think when I put on a tie (weddings and funerals).
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

65Buick

Yes Paul, it's the Ruby stuff. It honestly smells like horse dung. I don't think it'll be a problem since as you say it'll air out + there isn't much of it. It's a busy supply shop so kind of strange that it sat. Can't obviously know what happened from Italy to here but the shop does have kind of a dampish smell to it. Maybe that was the deal.

It's like I'll do my clove knot and then I get a brain fart and can't do it. Also if I work on it from a different side or angle, can't figure out what I'm doing.

MinUph

Quote from: 65Buick on March 30, 2017, 06:07:13 pm
Yes Paul, it's the Ruby stuff. It honestly smells like horse dung. I don't think it'll be a problem since as you say it'll air out + there isn't much of it. It's a busy supply shop so kind of strange that it sat. Can't obviously know what happened from Italy to here but the shop does have kind of a dampish smell to it. Maybe that was the deal.

It's like I'll do my clove knot and then I get a brain fart and can't do it. Also if I work on it from a different side or angle, can't figure out what I'm doing.

The knots will become second nature. The smell will be there sometimes :)
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

gene

I kind of like the farm smell, myself. Spent my childhood summers walking bare foot through cow pies.

What I do not like is how down pillow inserts often smell like rotten eggs. The smell will eventually dissipate. I remember going into chicken coops as a kid and getting the rotten eggs and throwing the rotten eggs at each other. That smell never went away. And that is not a smell I liked.

When I started making boxed cushions I would have to go over in my mind all the steps, as I did them. I sewed the fold over for the zipper pocket wrong side out so many times.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

65Buick

I can appreciate farm smell now. This stuff smelled a bit sour though.

I had to write on my sewing machine table in ink. "SEAM ALLOWANCE"
Pissed myself off too many times.

byhammerandhand

Quote from: gene on March 30, 2017, 07:16:31 pm
I kind of like the farm smell, myself. Spent my childhood summers walking bare foot through cow pies.

gene

Growing up playing baseball in the cow pasture, often heard was, "Hey!  That's not second base."

One year, when my grandfather was reducing operations (in his 80s) I had to clean out one of the chicken coops.   It was at the end of the greenhouse that was already dismantled, so completely open on one side.   Three feet deep of dried chicken manure.  Pick and shovel to get it out, and boy, it still smelled terrible.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

SteveA

The first time I completed an 8 way tie using clove hitches, knots, and two tacks for each line to anchor the ends I didn't want to cover the work up. It looked too nice.  Started from the back - warps, wefts, then diagonals without special attention to detail and in the end it seemed fine.    -   It's incredible how strong and united the springs become when the tying is done well. 3 - 4  hours to complete should last 50 years of everyday use.
SA

65Buick

I had the same thought SteveA. It really is amazing that just twine can unite and make the springs so strong.

This particular seat clips and edge wire, presumably for ease and speed of installation. I decided to go the tie route mainly because I was afraid of ending up with a bunch of expensive stuff I won't need.