Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 28, 2024, 08:29:53 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Singer 9647

Started by stegen140, March 31, 2017, 10:48:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

stegen140

March 31, 2017, 10:48:13 am Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 05:31:00 am by stegen140
Greetings,
I saw an ad for a Singer 9647. Does anybody have any info on this model? I searched high and low and came up empty.

Thank you.

Greetings,

Looking for opinions on the Pfaff Ambition 1.0 sewing machine for making wingback chair slipcovers as well as for reupholstering.

Thank you!

sofadoc

I googled that model. It appears to be a domestic household machine designed for lightweight fabrics.

You will struggle with upholstery weight material, especially if you try to sew in cording.

If you're just doing a one-time job for yourself, and that machine is all you have, you can muddle through. But if you're planning to do upholstery work on a regular basis, you should look for an industrial model.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

gene

When making slipcovers you have a lot of fabric being moved around and under the needle. Sewing machines with plastic parts  like gears, spacers, etc. are not made to take that kind of pressure.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

stegen140

Thank you sofadoc and gene for your sage advice.  I'm afflicted with analysis paralysis - trying to decide on what brand (as well as model) to focus on for upholstering&slipcovering. I know juki is quality but it seems there are dozens of their models to choose from. Any other brands I should focus on?

Thank you again in advance for any suggestions.

sofadoc

Quote from: stegen140 on April 07, 2017, 06:27:02 am
Any other brands I should focus on?
Since I don't do slipcovers, I'll only speak as to appropriate models for general furniture upholstery.
You need a commercial model with a "walking foot". Some models only feed fabric with the foot and the feed dog. While models known as "compound feed" or "triple feed", or "unison feed" feed the fabric with the foot, feed dog, and the needle as well (the needle walks in unison with the foot).

If you're looking for an older model at a more affordable price:
Singer 111W (no reverse, triple feed)
Juki LU-562 (small bobbin) LU-563 (big bobbin) Both are triple feed w/reverse
Consew  225, 226
Pfaff 145, 545 (triple feed. top load bobbin, w/reverse).

Newer Models:
Juki DNU-1541 (bottom load bobbin)  LU-1508 (top load bobbin) Both are triple feed.
Juki DNU-1181 (dual feed)
Consew 205 (dual feed) 206 (triple feed)
Pfaff 1245 (triple feed, top load bobbin)
Other brands are Chandler, Seiko, Highlead

I own a Juki LU-1508. The Consew 206 is a popular model because it's generally priced lower than comparable models.

brmax

That Craigslist is a pretty good place i thought.
Some times if your location is listed others can notice machines available for one to look into further. Sometimes it depends if one has interest tuning the machine, or more important time!

I have also found doing some great homework, and be ready to travel a state away if desired.
Then again depending on ones interest, it may well be a better option to give one of the Dealers a call. There are several companies offering both new and used, with some members here that have purchased from the reputable ones that sometime are online answering questions.

Finally there are so many "cloned" machines now, (seriously) that a new one can be had with some looking around. If ya find one or more feel free to mention the model number, and better yet include a link or photo. With this we can help a lot more.

Materials and textile types being used are super good assets to describe, including thread size.

Good day
Floyd

stegen140

Hello Again,

I saw an ad for a Singer 9647 which I couldn't find any info on. Has anybody heard of it?

Thank you.

sofadoc

There are only a few Singer models that are appropriate for upholstery work. And they are all over 50 years old.

Singer got out of the walking foot sewing machine business a long, long, long time ago.

There are a lot of lightweight, plastic housing, domestic models coming out of China with the Singer name stamped on them that even the Singer company has never heard of.

These models that you're finding like Pfaff Ambition 1.0 and Singer 9647...........you're barking up the wrong tree.

SteveA

Are you looking for a new machine - Juki, Chandler, Consew - a guy who gets great feedback on this site is Toledo Sewing Machine Co.
Bob Kovar