Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 08:28:55 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Need Advice re Pricing Patio Cushion Recovering

Started by D3Gilmore, March 15, 2017, 01:21:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

D3Gilmore

I've been doing word-of-mouth upholstery for the past couple of years.  I've now been given the opportunity to recover someone's patio cushions (30 in total).  I would greatly appreciate someone's input on what may be a reasonable charge for this project:

My measurements are from seam to seam

(2) welted throw pillows 16"x16" - no zippers
(6) welted lumbar pillows 19"x10" - no zippers

(6) knife edge bistro cushions w/ties (22"x22") - no zippers

(6) boxed seat cushions, no welting, (possibly zippered for my ease of inserting cushions) (21"x22" x 4")

(2) boxed seat cushions, no welting, w/a rounded edge to fit back of settee (24"x24-1/2" x 4-1/2")
(2) matching knife edged back cushions, w/a rounded edge to fit settee shape) (22"x25")

(3) boxed seat cushions, no welting, (22"x23"x2-1/2") (flat front, curved back)
(3) matching knife edge back cushions (19"x19")

(1) boxes seat cushions, no welting (24"x24"x5")
(1) matching knife edge seat back cushion, no welting (22"x21-1/2")

I'm in Northern California.

I am a meticulous worker, which equates to slower.  What I wanted to price the job out to in time may not be reasonable for the customer.  I'm interested to know what others may charge?

We have very few upholsterers in this area, so I'm concerned about calling around - as this client may also do the same.  I don't want to provide the same measurements to an upholsterer that this client may as well.  It's such a big job, that I don't want to lose it.  This could be a great referral opportunity for me as this client is part of a large senior community near me with over 10,000 homes and has a great online community referral system.
Thank you in advance for any advice you may have!

MinUph

Just so you don't think we are all just ignoring you and your question.
  The size of cushions really doesn't matter all that much labor wise and also fabric wise when it comes to estimates. All your measurements are in the "standard" range. I would just go with 1 1/4 yds for boxed seat cushions, and 1/2 a yard for pillows if you want to cut it close. As for labor that really depends on more things than a forum can give you. You are the only one that knows your ares, your costs and how much you have to charge. So best bet is to know what you need to make and charge accordingly. If you feel you work slow and that slowness equates to a better quality than the time is worth the added value. Never sell yourself short just to land a job. Beginning with a low cost will keep you there forever. Estimate it honestly and take what you get.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

Quote from: MinUph on March 15, 2017, 06:25:51 pm
Never sell yourself short just to land a job. Beginning with a low cost will keep you there forever. Estimate it honestly and take what you get.
Exactly. Bidding low just to get a job will only get you more customers expecting to pay low. If you don't get the job, then it just wasn't meant to be. Some of the most profitable jobs I ever got were the ones I didn't get.

It wouldn't mean a thing for me to give you my quote on those cushions. I've seen quotes from other regions of the country that make my jaw drop.

Welcome to the forum BTW.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

SteveA

This shop has a web site that may give you some ideas of pricing

http://www.winterssewing.com/   

SA

D3Gilmore

D3Gilmore

Thanks everyone. I agree I may back myself into a corner if I am too cheap.  I see both the consumer's and business man's side of things.  Why would someone pay $45-$65 for a cushion when they can buy from a box store cheaper.  I know the pitfalls of those mass manufactured products and believe I can educate the client as well to choose custom over mass produced.  It's a new venture for me and I see a niche market in my community.

The client is leaning towards Sunbrella fabric.  I've seen both good and bad comments regarding the sewing difficulties (puckering) and with the $30+/yard pricing and the client needing approximately 30+ yards of fabric, that is no small investment.

So grateful to find this forum.  I have poured over the posts dating back to 2010!

Thank you again,

gene

March 16, 2017, 03:16:35 pm #6 Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 03:17:15 pm by gene
QuoteWhy would someone pay $45-$65 for a cushion when they can buy from a box store cheaper.

Because they want their own specific fabric, they want a quality foam insert, they want quality labor, and they can afford the custom work.

If they don't have these 3 "wants" and the "afford", I may some day become their friend but they will never some day become my customer.

Just my 2 cents worth,

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

D3Gilmore

I have been researching online foam suppliers and DIYUpolsterySupply keeps coming up as a reasonable source.
I believe some of the client's cushions should be replaced, however, I don't believe she will be interested in the Dryteck as it is more expensive.

1) What would you recommend for a typical outdoor cushion foam?  I see websites advertise (soft/medium/firm) and not necessarily provide the compression or density ratings.

2) Do you have another supplier you feel would be a better resource for a new small business? I don't have lots of room to buy in bulk.

3) I've seen 3" outdoor cushions wrapped in 2+" of dacron. Is there a different dacron you use for outdoor or do they all have mold-inhibitors?

Thank you!

sofadoc

U.S. Foam has "Ever-Dri" foam for outdoor furniture and marine cushions.

1.8 lb. density
35lb. med. firmness

3" X 24" X 120"..........$101.95

Free shipping on orders over $100

www.us-foam.com
800 830 2183

Other sizes available.
I've never used any type of special Dacron on outdoor cushions. Just regular.

BlueFlamingo

I've done several Patio Furniture projects.  Here in Oklahoma, I price as follows...
Calculate the amount of material you'll need and add 5% for waste.  I charge 10% over the my costs for the material.
Don't forget your thread, staples etc.. in your Costs.
After I'm comfortable with the cost of ALL materials I then Guess-ti-Mate the time.  I've learned l that once I get this number I add 50% more and multiply that number by what I want my hourly rate to be.  (Usually $30 per hour) 
Rarely have I felt that I "Screwed" myself.  I totally agree about why a customer would pay the xtra bucks.  If they can't find what they're looking for...They have to PAY for it!!!  I must say, ALL my Patio Clients have been able to pay for what they want and not blink.  Those that blink...Shop the Big Box Stores!!!!

MinUph

Quote from: sofadoc on March 17, 2017, 10:44:10 am
U.S. Foam has "Ever-Dri" foam for outdoor furniture and marine cushions.

1.8 lb. density
35lb. med. firmness

3" X 24" X 120"..........$101.95

Free shipping on orders over $100

www.us-foam.com
800 830 2183

Other sizes available.
I've never used any type of special Dacron on outdoor cushions. Just regular.

That's a decent price. Do you do business with them?
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

Quote from: MinUph on March 17, 2017, 05:26:02 pm
That's a decent price. Do you do business with them?
I've been buying all my foam from them for a couple of years now. For sofas, I use their 2.7/35lb. Foam. Their 30" wide foam is cheaper than most supplier's 24" wide.

gene

US Foams' sales office, the place where you call to place your orders, is a few miles from my shop in SW Ohio. Dennis is in Texas. Dennis mentioned them on this forum and that's how I heard about them. I've been buying from them ever since. Oh the power of the internet! And the value of this forum! And the value of Dennis! (FYI Their plant is in Indiana.)

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

MinUph

Thanks for the positive referrals I sent them a request for a catalog.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

D3Gilmore

BlueFlamingo,

Do you add a dacron wrap to your outdoor cushions?  I took some apart and they looked like regular foam with dacron wrap.  Obviously, I can use 3" foam if I build up the dacron wrap for "loftiness".

This client's list of cushions range from "always out in the elements" (necessitating the Ever-Dri) to simply looking pretty under the covered porch. 

I was wondering if you always use the Ever-Dri product or also determine type of foam based on the location of the cushions.