Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 11:17:39 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Seam guide

Started by MinUph, February 10, 2017, 08:15:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MinUph

Has anyone used a guide that will follow the seam so there is a even top stitch next to the original seam? I have seen these somewhere and they consist of just a piece of steel that rides in the seam to guide the fabric. So a baseball stitch can be done better with one needle,
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

Are you talking about a welt foot with a spring loaded guide?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tacsew-Juki-Walking-Foot-Spring-Edge-Guide-Feet-1-8-/151750672241?hash=item23550b7f71:g:ESEAAOSwT6pVxqrN

These come in different sizes, depending on how far away from the seam you want the stitch.
I bought a 3 piece set 1/8, 3/16, 1/4. They work OK. A little tough to keep the guide in the seam as you round a corner.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

MinUph

I figured you would have these Dennis. Yes this is what I was talking about. I will look into the set. How does it track on the straight runs?
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

Does great on straight runs. But sometimes the screw that holds the spring guide comes loose. And if you over-tighten the screw, then the spring can't work. I probably need to put some Loctite on the screw.

MinUph

So looking at these I see you need a left and a right set in order to do a baseball stitch correct?
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

I only have left. I turn the work around and sew in the other direction for the other stitch. But I rarely do any intense BB stitching. Just short straight runs.

bobslost

I bought some on ebay and I love it
Also a left is all you should need

MinUph

Thanks Guys. I am looking at a set of three lefts. Placed an offer to see how that goes.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mojo

Paul:

I have one if you want to stop and try it out. I let Rick borrow it and he loved it and got his own. I think he may have custom ordered one or was going to. You can give him a call and ask.

I have a box of folders and all kinds of different feet. Your always welcome to borrow them and try them out before ordering or if you need them for a special job just stop and pick it up.

Chris

RiCat

Hello. After Chris let me use the guide foot he had, I really like it. Now, my objective with the feet is not really a guide for a single fold over top stitch seam, but for French seams. That being said, I purchased a three set of guide feet for left and right guides. Why both sides? If having to install a French seam on a automotive seat, and keeping the majority of material on the left side of the machine and not under the neck, all that is needed is to switch the feet out to jump on the other side of the deep seam, again keeping most of the cover to the left. I did a ski boat last year that had a side wall panel that had a French seam on the top that was approximately 9' long. The guide feet was a life savoir on laying out a nice straight, even French seam. Right at $80 or so for both sets off of ebay, one of my best investments.

Rick

baileyuph

February 12, 2017, 07:17:50 am #10 Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 06:21:39 am by DB
I too, used a right and left pressure foot yesterday in some 2013 original repair work(auto).

Plus, it is easy to relate to the above use of the right and left guide foot for french seaming (accuracy and time is paramount.  

Double needle machines are not in a lot of shops, some do.

Another close derivative type of feet is merely the right and left flat fell seam feet.  I have

a use for those, actually a lot.

But, if there is no need and that is possible......  you know.

Another example of a guide foot, approximately 9/16 in. guide, is redoing original interior

auto work on a 1979 Malibu, the small pleats top stitched in foam, there are 12 to 16 of t

that type of pleats required (depending of which seat one is working on).  Big time saver

better accuracy achieved.

Good luck on the spring guides.

Doyle

MinUph

Yes i'figuring on the left and right set for the times when stuffing under the arm is hard. I figure the 3/16th size is what i like.1/8 & 1/4are too narrow an to wide. I'm waiting for a response from the guy i get my feet from on ebay. He has decent quality. Will let you know how it works out.
Chris thanks for the offer.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website