Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 14, 2024, 10:19:43 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

coffee on Friday blowing off some steam

Started by gene, January 18, 2017, 08:02:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

January 18, 2017, 08:02:59 pm Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 08:10:15 pm by gene
I ate lunch at Chik Fil A recently with my son. He ordered a spicy chicken sandwich and I heard him say something about "coffee". I said I would have the same thing. My son then said, referring to me, "He wants his coffee hot." The guy taking my order looked up at me, saw my advanced age reflected in the lines and creases on my face, and said something like, "Oh. Yea."

I stopped in Dunkin Donuts this morning for the first time in several decades. I ordered a small dark roast coffee and a glazed donut. The lady asked "Hot or cold?" I never had someone ask me if I wanted my donut heated up before. Oh, she wasn't asking about the donut. She was asking about the coffee.

Is this cold coffee thing the latest sign in the continuing degradation of our society?

Has this cold coffee thing been going on for a long time and I'm just now noticing it?

Is it easier to get cold coffee out of new fabric or hot coffee?

I think of all that time and energy spent over my entire lifetime heating up my coffee, and I could have just drank it cold.

Have any old codgers out there drank the Kool Aid and began drinking cold coffee?

Happy Friday on a Wednesday,

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

January 19, 2017, 05:30:51 am #1 Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 08:10:06 am by sofadoc
I was eating at a breakfast diner several years ago, and ordered biscuits and gravy with my meal.

The biscuits came out room temp, and the gravy was borderline cold. So I sent them back to be warmed up. The manager was very apologetic, and insisted on making me a new batch instead of just nuking the cold ones in the microwave.

When they brought me my new order, they were just as cold as the first one. Then, as I looked around the crowded diner, I noticed that every person in there had at least 20 years on me. I saw a lot of biscuits and gravy being consumed, and no one was complaining. The manager seemed dumbfounded that the replacement biscuits and gravy were still not to my liking.

So, is that a thing that I can expect when I get into my 70's? Or did I just happen to stumble in to a diner that caters to a specific clientele? Seems to fly in the face of Gene's preference of hot coffee. 

As a kid, I had an elderly babysitter that would wait for her coffee to cool down completely, then load it up multiple servings of cream and sugar, and then drop a large ice cube in it. I guess she was WAY ahead of her time.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

byhammerandhand

Not there yet.

Stopped by my daughter's place yesterday to do some work.  I hadn't drunk my coffee much that morning and it was tepid.  She asked if I wanted a coffee to go.  She made one in her Keurig and warned me it would be hot.   I let it sit in the thermal mug for a couple of miles and took a tiny sip.  Hot but fine.   A few minutes later I took a larger sip. HOLY COW.   It burnt my mouth and gave me a headache.   If the window had been open I would have spit it out.

Wheel of Fortune just came on.   Did you know Vanna White is 59?!   And she makes $4,000,000 a year for looking good and doing a job that does not need to be done.

Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

gene

Cold coffee, lukewarm biscuits and gravy, while watching The Wheel of Fortune. I'm really looking forward to retirement.

gene

byhammerandhand

But wait, there's more...

Did some work for a guy in a retirement home yesterday -- two walkers, a scooter, three "grabbers", a wall full of snacks and he told me that the cafeteria breakfasts rotated between link sausage, bacon, patty sausage and ham.  Once in while pancakes.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

sofadoc

Quote from: byhammerandhand on January 20, 2017, 07:52:35 am
But wait, there's more...

Did some work for a guy in a retirement home yesterday -- two walkers, a scooter, three "grabbers", a wall full of snacks and he told me that the cafeteria breakfasts rotated between link sausage, bacon, patty sausage and ham.  Once in while pancakes.
I recently did some work for a nursing home. As I was waiting for the director to write me a check, I noticed a check laying on his desk made out to a local donut shop for over $1400. I made some comment that they must have had a big occasion  to spend that much on donuts. He said "Nah, not really. We spend that much on donuts every month".

gene

Dipping donuts into a cup of cold coffee while watching The Wheel of Fortune. Retirement's looking better and better.

SofaD: What if that $1400 bill had been for condoms, and not donuts? Or taser guns, and not donuts? Or live chickens and not donuts?

I read that "kinky" is when you use a chicken feather. "Fetish" is when you use the whole chicken.

But I digest.

gene

sofadoc

Here's a story about the future (the VERY near future):

Keith, Dennis, and Gene were all sitting in their rocking chairs at the nursing home one evening.

Keith said "Whew, it's way past my bedtime. It's almost 7PM. I'd better head up to bed."  A few minutes later, he yelled down to Gene and Dennis "Hey! I can't remember. Was I getting IN bed? Or getting OUT of bed?"

Gene and Dennis looked at each other and laughed. Dennis said "I'll go help him". As Dennis got halfway up the stairs, he turned back to Gene and asked "Was I going UP the stairs? Or coming DOWN the stairs?"

Gene just rolled his eyes and lifted up a little prayer toward the heavens. "Oh Lord, I don't know what those two would do without me here to take care of them. I just thank you and praise you that at this age, I still have all my wits about me.......knock on wood (tap, tap, tap)................Who-o-o-o is it?"

gene

So, we don't really get off topic on this forum, we just forget what we were talking about.

Alex

byhammerandhand

A few days later,...

Keith, Dennis, and Gene were all sitting in their rocking chairs at the nursing home one evening.

Right then a shapely young aide walks by and all three lean over and look at her figure.

Keith says, "Boy, if I were thirty years younger, I'd run right over and give her a big hug."

Gene says, "Boy, if I were thirty years younger, I'd run right over and give her a big hug. Then I'd give her a  big kiss."

Dennis says, "Boy, if I were thirty years younger, I'd run right over and give her a big hug. Then I'd give her a  big kiss.  And what was that other thing we used to do???"

(and as it turns out my customer mentioned a name of a guy I know -- he went to my church and I'd done some work for him and his wife.   Shortly before going to this home,  he was widowed.    My customer said, "Oh, do you know his girlfriend, Cindy,  she lives right across the hall here."    No, I didn't.   He said his family was trying to convince him to marry Cindy, but he was working with the home's management (a church-sponsored home) to see if they'd just them move in together.)
Keith

gene

QuoteDennis says, "Boy, if I were thirty years younger, I'd run right over and give her a big hug. Then I'd give her a  big kiss.  And what was that other thing we used to do???"

Get arrested for sexual assault?

sofadoc

Quote from: byhammerandhand on January 22, 2017, 06:39:00 pm

Dennis says, "Boy, if I were thirty years younger, I'd run right over and give her a big hug. Then I'd give her a  big kiss.  And what was that other thing we used to do???"
Oh yeah, I remember now. I'd give her a big hug, then a big kiss, and then I'd go get on the upholstery forum and go WAY off topic.

Mojo

Speaking of coffee....... Our home Bunn coffee maker just gave up the ghost after 19 years of faithful service. I ordered a new one that has a thermos container instead of a hot plate. This thing brews coffee in 3 minutes.

I ordered coffee once at a restaurant and the waitress asked me how I wanted it. I told her I like my coffee just like my women,..........Hot & Black.... She shook her head and walked away laughing. Obviously she appreciaes smart aleck old men. :)

Chris

Virgs Sew n Sew

Quote from: Mojo on January 23, 2017, 09:34:27 am

I ordered coffee once at a restaurant and the waitress asked me how I wanted it. I told her I like my coffee just like my women,..........Hot & Black.... She shook her head and walked away laughing. Obviously she appreciaes smart aleck old men. :)

Chris

A good waitress can tell a smart aleck versus a jerk and does appreciate remarks like that.  It beats the heck out of the guy b*tching about his coffee being lukewarm ; )  (see how I brought the thread back on topic).  THPPPPP

But seriously, waiting tables is hard work and you do like the guys or gals that come in and get you laughing.  Especially if they leave you a decent tip.

Virginia
Fuck this place.

sofadoc

Quote from: byhammerandhand on January 19, 2017, 04:03:17 pm
Did you know Vanna White is 59?!   And she makes $4,000,000 a year for looking good and doing a job that does not need to be done.
She probably complains to her grandkids about how rough she had it. "Back in the day, the letters didn't just light up automatically.........I had to turn them myself!"