Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 14, 2024, 07:17:07 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Done for the year

Started by gene, December 31, 2016, 06:56:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

Howdy everyone,

I'm going to spend a few hours today working on two open arm chairs with a picture back panel all trimmed out with double welt cord.

And then I'm taking off the rest of the year!!!

Happy New Year to all those who follow the Gregorian calendar!

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

It's funny to read the UK based "Upholsterer's Friendly Forum" on Facebook. Those guys all take off 2-3 weeks at Xmas time. Most of the Americans on the forum report working every day but Xmas and NYD.

BTW For a forum that bills itself as "friendly", they can get pretty snippy at times. If a newbie posts a pic of their first amateur attempt at upholstery, they'll get absolutely crucified.

And they have very little patience for people that are looking for a shortcut to learning the trade. The only proper way is to toil away at slave wages through years and years of trade school and apprenticeship.

Enjoy the rest of the year off Gene.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

baileyuph

Whatever,
I guess I go with the flow.  Today, there were a couple quick jobs I planned to do, then hang it up.  But, I got this wood working job -- bed frame issues -- and it needed to be fixed --
asap!

That's what I did.  Probably not American or UK way?

I guess that is being poor!

Happy New Year All!!!

Doyle

Virgs Sew n Sew

Happy 2017 All!

I planned on a nice 4 day break but had an alteration customer in on Thursday who is leaving town on Monday, so I've done some work all weekend.  Not much (hemming 3 pair of pants).  Probably spent about 45 minutes all told.  Haven't actually sewn the hems, will do that today and then call for pick-up.

Also have a customer who will be coming in for a fitting Monday as she is leaving the country on Thursday.  She travels a LOT and is generally home for less than a week before taking off again.

Will email my bimini customer Tuesday so that I can get him over to bless material selection and to get a down payment so that I can get rocking on that project.

Have worked hard the last few weeks to ensure that I don't have a huge glut of stuff that I didn't finish in 2016.  Pretty much starting with a clean slate, which is nice.

Also have some patio furniture to replace cushions on.  Looking at options for cushion covers now.  Miami has some gorgeous looking stuff but almost $40 a yard.  Now my customer will have apoplexy on that price so I'm going to check out Sunbrella's prices as well.

So my main two projects starting 2017 are the bimini and patio furniture.  Upholstery projects so maybe 2017 will be more of an upholstery year.  2016 seemed to be much more embroidery/alterations which ended up being a good thing with the knee rehab and then whatever I did to my ankle.

Hoping 2017 will be peaceful with prosperity and good health for all of our posters!

Virginia
Fuck this place.