Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 14, 2024, 07:19:59 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Problem with staple gun

Started by Rich, December 30, 2016, 03:55:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Henry

QuoteI don't wish to use an oiled unit. But still..

I have a 5 horse/13 gallon oil-less compressor that I used when I had my own shop. I didn't find it significantly quieter than the oiled units the same size I used before and since---but it has been more maintenance. I used to have to put a rebuild kit in every 2-3 years because of the heat it created with just me using it.If I'd have ever taken on staff it would have needed it more often.

I find the two most important things you can do are; get your air lines and hoses up on the ceiling and drop down beside your work area to avoid the tangle and isolate the compressor to reduce the noise. You have to ensure adequate air flow to cool it , but any little bit helps. The shop I spent my first 5 years in had a compressor that sounded like a rock crusher out in the open but we had it an enclosed stairwell with a louvered door for ventilation and it was not loud enough to make you raise your voice when it was running.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

brmax

January 04, 2017, 09:57:04 am #16 Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 10:03:20 am by brmax
Quote from: Darren Henry on January 04, 2017, 09:05:41 am
QuoteI don't wish to use an oiled unit. But still..

I find the two most important things you can do are; get your air lines and hoses up on the ceiling and drop down beside your work area to avoid the tangle and isolate the compressor to reduce the noise. You have to ensure adequate air flow to cool it , but any little bit helps. The shop I spent my first 5 years in had a compressor that sounded like a rock crusher out in the open but we had it an enclosed stairwell with a louvered door for ventilation and it was not loud enough to make you raise your voice when it was running.

Agree totally making some kind of sound absorbing curtain, wall or what hav ya, great point Darren. In that, if not avail room I would recommend having the compressor in the same temperature as shop air lines if at all possible, just eliminates some condensation. And my present problem, both issues and I have lived with this problem in many shops ( but quiet is the key ).

The newer compressors may be different, I had a lil CH brand in the early eighties and it worked great at home as a part time hobby n wrenching, wood working enthusiast thru three homes n family. I could pull it around handily it was like 2' long 2' tall
It was noisy as all get out and I had a quick connect to a larger old lp tank in a garage for better supply as some tool usage you had to wait or short order process, a pita.
For a person use to using 5hp compressors plus at work shops and a custom built 16hp running a twin cyl compressor on my service truck. The lil Cambell Hausfeld in the back garage did a noisy darn good job, complete rebuilds repaints w/86jeep, 71chev trk, 67 RS plus all the hobby jobs to help raise a family.

I can now run a hose pretty quick with a 12cfm n 5hp oil type in the garage if when I would get consistent need of air. So considered another dual purpose compressor myself. It was going to be very short, oil type probably, with wheels and have ability to lift pretty easy. But as I read the HF reviews they are all noisy! go figure. I guess set it on a rubber mud flap at least.

Floyd

65Buick

I do believe I have hijacked this thread. It was not my intention.

As I mentioned I had a senco little 1 gal, great for a little quick work when you don't want to fill a big tank. Thing is absolutely the quietest compressor I've ever had, but had problems with the kill switch. Tried to fix it myself and still did the same thing. Unfortunately many people have had this problem.
Point being though is that they can and do make oil-less that are quiet. (and dependable)

Rich

Quote from: 65Buick on January 04, 2017, 06:50:29 pm
I do believe I have hijacked this thread. It was not my intention.

As I mentioned I had a senco little 1 gal, great for a little quick work when you don't want to fill a big tank. Thing is absolutely the quietest compressor I've ever had, but had problems with the kill switch. Tried to fix it myself and still did the same thing. Unfortunately many people have had this problem.
Point being though is that they can and do make oil-less that are quiet. (and dependable)

Yes and I am *#@$! mad about that!
No, quite the contrary, it's gotten a heck of a lot more interest than when it was just about my sick staple gun.
BTW, it quit again, but now I know I need to get that O ring replaced.
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

65Buick

FWIW Rich, I use a Bostitch gun. I wish they made a long nose because I really like it. Great tool. Never had a single problem with it.

Rich

I think Bostitch is a good name, been around a long time anyway. The EZ Fasten gun I have? I don't know much about it, but it seems to be made well and I hate to throw anything out if it can still be made to work with not too much effort and expense.
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

Darren Henry

QuoteI know I need to get that O ring replaced.

Have you tried a little Vaseline etc... on the old O ring(S) ? It softens the rubber and swells them a little to get a better seal. Might buy you some time while you're sourcing new ones.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!