Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 14, 2024, 06:25:45 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

John Deere type seats - convoluted but no seams!!!

Started by baileyuph, December 24, 2016, 06:04:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

John Deere type so don't take it literally.  These type are seen on tractors primarily from my perspective.

The issue is; they can come in for rework but the technology from whence they came is
totally different from auto/boat/?  and whatever seats.  They are convoluted similar to
some boat bucket seats but do not have a seam in them.  The vinyl must be formed when
in almost melt stage - pressed into the mold onto the foam core of the same shape.

Any how, anyone have any kind of in depth understanding of these.  Got one in (this week -
not the first) and have been looking at it but end up telling myself it will be another
"wing it" job.

It is to be done in vinyl.  If someone is thinking all sport (stretches in all directions), well it wouldn't last through what these seats go through.

Again, anyone shared these type of "night mares"?

With that, happy holiday season!

Doyle

Darren Henry

I've never had a problem with all sport not wearing well although most people get sticker shock at the price of it. I have glued and heat gunned the vinyl and I have introduced  seams. they are always a pain and no one wants to pay what a well made seat should cost because they can buy generic tractor seats at Princess Auto for $75. Spend half a million for a machine you will be sitting in for 16 hours a day or longer but want the seat for 20 bucks. go figure.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

sofadoc

I can't imagine any price that both the upholsterer and the customer would consider fair.

"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

baileyuph

These aren't the typical lawn tractor seats.  They are a bit more high tech for there are sensors and a couple bundles of wires connected to a computer.

Therefore, they are expensive and the customer knows that.  He just wants them done comparable to the original.  Heavy vinyl!  There is

I suspect, it would cost over $2000 to replace these seats given the technology associated.
All sport is in stock, too thin and given the stretch - will be thinner.

Solution will be to build the quality customer wants, he hasn't indicated cost is a factor.

I have contacted a seat foam builder, they have the technology to actually reproduce any
foam seat bun bought to them. 

Technology has marched on ........

Doyle

brmax

Might this be a high back seat, doesn't sound like it but maybe I missed something, maybe a photo possibly? not to add to the bid difficulty here : ) but is this an in cab style seat or exposed more to exterior elements.

As I recall ag seats, factory type and at a deluxe levels they are never under 500.00 or haven't been when I replace some or removed 100's for repairs of the equipment.
These better deluxe seats in the ag equipment have to raise and lower extensively, where I'm going here is unless a tear in vinyl or textile a sharp eye towards the mechanism for best end results and this can get to the time in repairs out of the norm.

I would add this; of all mfg's Deere was easily the best on replacement parts in a separated form, or parts of the assembly. I clearly been down the road of buying parts for ag machines. So respectfully it may be the operator "imo" knows they most likely can get the parts and yet the cost to r&r is their only task. Or the option with the same person or qualified shop they have selected is to come up with a total custom repair alternative, with or without factory parts, so to negotiate is the game.

I have no doubt Doyle you can recover the seat, what I do suggest from my experience is the fact that the molding in the seat helps remove water from standing/on surface, but this is only from my past interest.
please post a finish photo of your seat.

good day
Floyd