Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 03:41:46 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Air bag equipped seats

Started by baileyuph, December 03, 2016, 02:33:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

Car seats equipped with airbags - a question to those who work on such:  What size thread are the covers sewn with at the deploy area?

I do this work, long ago noted it was lighter thread than most seat upholstery typically uses,but forgot what size it is.  I used up the thread that met specs and now need more is why I ask.  My spool label has been displaced??  Could have been a synthetic size 50?

One should use whatever the spec is because of liability.

Anyone with this experience?

Doyle   

gene

December 04, 2016, 08:24:27 am #1 Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 08:27:13 am by gene
My car seat is equipped with an air bag, but only when I am driving.  :o

I can't offer my two cents here, I have no experience on working on auto upholstery at all.

That is an interesting question, though. Does the stitching need to break away within a specific range of force in order to help the air bag deploy? Or does the air bag come out through the material and the stitching serves a typical seaming function? Or does the stitching need to be stronger than normal?

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

MinUph

These are reasons I will not do cars anymore. Too much liability. I'd be scared shitless the things would deploy while I was working on it. Do you disconnect the battery or what? Sorry no help with the thread.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mojo

Doyle:

Your best bet is to visit the forum on the Hog Ring. It is pretty much all auto upholstery related.

Chris

baileyuph

BTW, a body shop (repeat customer) who advised he has another seat where the air bag went off(accident situation).  There are less places around willing to work on this stuff, apparently, because calls have been increasing.  This one is in a German car and I believe it is in the several thousand dollars range (so much has to be replaced).

Hasn't business changed!  I was asked how long it took to learn the business (uph)?  After a quick thought, said:  "will let you know when it happens".  True because things keep
changing.

Doyle