Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 04:30:24 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Parson Dining Room Chair - need another opinion on time estimate

Started by baileyuph, October 17, 2016, 05:01:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

Subject chairs I have done, good while though due mainly to cheap imports, but have a strong request now to do some and timing is my question.

I am thinking 3 hrs per chair is what it took - gosh that was over a year ago.

The first will take a little longer but for 4 maybe I can average about 3 hrs per chair.  They aren't the smallest I have worked on if that helps.

Just though some might have done them recently and remember how much time per chair was involved?

Thanks ahead,

Doyle

MinUph

There are many styles of Parsons chairs. Some with skirts and some without. Some IBs are more complex also. Time would depend on all this.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

kodydog

The last set of Parson Chairs we bid on...
The customer was right around the corner from my shop so I ran over to give the estimate. Her sister was going to reupholsterer them and they bought all the fabric. They also bought some really cheap dacron and foam at Joanns. The sister stripped the fabric off one chair and the rest of the job sat there for over a year.

My experience with Parsons chairs is they are always more work than they look. So I always bid them high. The husband wanted me to do them but the wife wasn't sure. So I put on my salesman hat and told her all the extra things we do that some others don't. I then told her if she's not sure to take a few days to think about it. Before I left she told me to load them in the van.

When I got back to the shop the first thing I did was measure the yardage to see if there was enough. As I was doing this she calls and tells me they called around and found another upholsterer who was much cheaper. Once again I put on my salesmans hat and explained why my prices were higher than others. I told her since she was right around the corner I would return them, no charge. And I did.

But I forgot to return the dacron and she called to let me know. I told her she can come to my shop and pick it up, but she never did. That was over a year ago and I now live in another town. So I have been using her dacron on jobs where I need just a thin layer to add that finishing touch.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

baileyuph

Kody I think wrapping your experience up with that customer, there is a strong sense that she didn't have anyone do the chairs.  I think of this possibility because she didn't come to pick up the dacron.

I don't try to sell anything.  My business is so full I just don't have to worry.  I have a car customer who wants me to do his headliner because the skill we have is getting so scarce, we have become dying breed.

Another comment;  when I get a new customer who starts asking about price early in discussion, I just say they are focusing on the wrong thing.  Most will back off wanting a price and will have it done.  They can see my shop and the level of work I get is transparent.  So, there is a reason I won't start throwing out prices.  Don't have to.

I have some people with car jobs who want no one else to touch their cars and this happens while I am ...........sometimes the only one around who can do the work or the only one that they know who has the experience.

We are in a dying trade - aren't we?

Regarding the Parsen chairs, I haven't given a price yet and the customer is wanting their chairs redone more all the time.  Early in discussion, I suggest they can get China made stuff new and they said yes, but.........we like our chairs and the inherient quality.

These chairs have a nice bottom cushion along with the backrest (sufficient detail is the point).  The legs are covered.  I think it will take me about 3 1/2 hrs as an average time requirement.  The first one a little more perhaps, but after that the rest will bring the overall average down to the 3.5 number.

The chairs with the skirt like paul referenced to, I have only done a couple sets.  They will probably take more time.

The material used can be a factor in the time estimate.

Where there is a will there is a way, some say.

Doyle