Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 09:43:29 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Building a domed seat on a settee - without springs

Started by Watsonete, September 30, 2016, 03:22:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Watsonete

Hi all - my first post here in this forum!

I'm still green when it comes to upholstery tricks and I have a settee project on that I really don't know how to tackle.  :-[ It's never been upholstered with springs - there's no evidence of webbing on the bottom of the frame so I plan to do this using foam.

My question is - what materials and layering technique should I be using since it's a larger area and I want the settee to "feel" like it has springs, or to feel firm and supportive. I've scoured the internet and I can't find anything although I'm certain this is something that occurs in the world of upholstery! Any helpful suggestions would be extremely welcome!

http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q494/Watsonette/Upholstery/IMG_3048_zps52kgkfui.jpg

MinUph

Elastiband webbing on top of the rail, Burlap on that, 1" firm foam cut 1" smaller than the seat frame, then 2" medium foam over that onto the frame, cut oversize about an inch all around stapled at the lowest part of the foam edge. Sheet of cotton over and cover. If you need more crown put an extra layer of cotton under the top layer undercut like the lower layer of foam feathered down on all edges.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Watsonete

Quote from: MinUph on September 30, 2016, 04:45:46 am
Elastiband webbing on top of the rail, Burlap on that, 1" firm foam cut 1" smaller than the seat frame, then 2" medium foam over that onto the frame, cut oversize about an inch all around stapled at the lowest part of the foam edge. Sheet of cotton over and cover. If you need more crown put an extra layer of cotton under the top layer undercut like the lower layer of foam feathered down on all edges.

Thank you Paul! I've been searching for a week and now I'm ready to jump into it tomorrow.

One question - you said to staple the larger sheet of foam at the lowest part of the edge - do you mean the bottom edge of the foam to the frame? I've never seen this so when I put the cotton over it does the top edge dome under the weight of the tight fabric on top? In my previous experience I've put burlap strips around the edges of the foam (with foam glue) and then stretched that down onto the frame and stapled that so the dome is then created.

Thanks again!

MinUph

Yes staple the bottom edge of the foam to the very top front edge of the frame. You can also do the fabric glued to the foam and staple this to the frae front edge. But burlap is too thick for this. I use drapery lining. I like the staple procedure better you will see the shape as you do this. And stop the cotton just where the DW or nail trim will be so you have a nice flat surface there.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website