Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 03:49:58 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

need help: trying to find easy/non-sloppy way to enclose foam rod with fabric

Started by beford, September 27, 2016, 02:12:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

beford

ok here goes:

i am trying to produce a sort of foam rod insert to be used to stabilize innerspring units. I got the foam rod the size and width i wanted, its about two feet long, but they need to be covered in order to look appealing to the final consumer. (also: the rod will never have to come out or be removed from the cover - we only have to insert and close it once)

I'm having trouble thinking of a cost (and time) effective way to enclose these rods and my only current solution can be seen on the link - i have sort of sewn an enclosure out of polyester and put a zipper in the middle where the rod can get inserted - however this is sloppy (have to fold the rod to get it in there and time-consuming; not even to mention that it puts quite the stress on the seams when inserting. i have attached pics of the rod, the current cover with the zipper, so you can see the basic design below i have racked my brain but cannot come up with a better alternative - perhaps some kind of snap/flap on one of the ends where you can just insert and close? im at a loss and any ideas would be much, much appreciated - pictures of current setup below - any advice or help appreciated!

http://imgur.com/a/XEzyE

MinUph

Can you load the foam into a fabric tube after sucking it down with a vacuumed bag? Then close the end on the sewing machine? Or use a stretchable fabric and just work it in from the end and pull it through the tube with a twine sent through to the other end first. Again close the one end on the machine when done.
What exactly are these used in?
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

beford

the vacuumed idea is intriguing but i have no experience with that so trying to picture how it would work - the enclosed tubes will be used to firm up inner springs (they will not be visible apart from initial insertion)

MinUph

So the looks of this doesn't really matter seeing they will not be a visible component after insertion. Is the outer covering just to protect the foam?
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

brmax

If its for support with a spring as a collar of sorts it doesn't seem to require such a tight fit.
So thats my thinking into it with out knowing what I'm thinking into ; )

good day
Floyd

beford

Quote from: MinUph on September 27, 2016, 04:21:27 pm
So the looks of this doesn't really matter seeing they will not be a visible component after insertion. Is the outer covering just to protect the foam?

basically correct - doesnt need to look 'incredible' as its just covering foam but needs to look adequately professional

brmax

You could use some tough thread and sew as you did or with the two halves folded together and turn it inside out. The same to close one end, and with the other it could be hemed and a snap or better yet have a part of it fold over locking itself in a easy access way. I don't know the proper name for this method maybe some one can help with a correct term. But just considering a production cost I would come up with eliminating the zipper. I will quietly add I have a small amount of experience with gray foams as in your photo and they can be noisy, not that they are the same but my examples were the gray cheaper water line insulation/foam types and slightly quieter is foams from the swimming types. These foams are so dry I think is the reason, I'm sure your addressing the concern but just thought I would mention it, as in my outdoor blinds as bird watching or hunting noise travels quite easy.

good day
Floyd

Darren Henry

I would make the opening where the zipper is roughly 1/2 to 3/4 of the length and hand sew it shut.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

brmax

A closure I was thinking of and in example is like the old sandwich baggies, before all that was on the shelf was the zip lock.
Anyway a part of the bag /tube is a flap and tucked in and then the other side that's hemmed a bit can be folded over and provides a "simple" lock of the bag, tube, whatever.
I think printing on these and for the use as wavers during the football games is a good idea.
So if you can just use the foam in roll form (multi use seat cushion on loss day) and the cover a multi use item as raincoat/wind breaker this would be shark tank material.
good luck
Floyd

ps: sure don't miss taking sandwiches to work

Rich

Reminds me of the covered ropes used in movie theaters.
I would think you could sew one side to make a tube open at both ends and then turn it inside out in a PVC pipe. Wrap the foam with slip plastic and fish it through the tube with a wire attached. Then stitch both ends closed on your machine.
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!