Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 03:08:31 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

For You Furniture Guys

Started by Mojo, September 24, 2016, 07:15:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

I just wanted to once again tell all of you furniture guys how much respect I have for ya'll. Rick and I discussed recovering the dinette chairs in our coach and he gave me some awesome ideas. They all have upholstered backs and to make it worse I am NOT a furniture person.

I have never pulled so many bloody staples before.  Good Lord. These factory people are staple happy. I think when I am done I would rather have a root canal then do another piece of furniture.

I am doing these chairs all in leather and haven't a clue as to how the hell I am going to do it but have Rick a few miles away to get me through this project. I have a feeling I am going to do the first one and then throw the others in his driveway and have him do the rest.

So, to all you furniture guys I bow to you. It is a segment of this trade I would never consider going in to. I am happy doing awnings. :)

Chris

SteveA

Chris - I wish customers would realize the work that goes into a job before the nice fabric goes on.  After a while staples aren't bad - it's one of those tasks you learn to do without stressing  - the repetition has a calming effect  - no thinking task - no stress  - when you're done you look up and know the hard part are the repairs, laying out, cutting, patterns, fill, etc..  ( My Opinion)

Folks who don't pull staples wonder why those who do put up with it -  for me people ask how can you work with paint remover ?
It's the easy no thinking part of refinishing.  Anyway I hope you had the right tools because if it's something you've not done too much of having the wrong tools makes the job twice as hard.
SA

sofadoc

It's funny how the first thing newbies complain about, is the excessive number of staples.
I'm like Steve. I don't even notice.

Most factory workers do tend to over-staple. Conversely, most reupholsterers tend not to. Whichever the case may be, I'd say 75% of the furniture that comes through my shop has way more staples than necessary.

My pet peeve isn't excessive staples. It's cheap staples that break off easily.

If I had my choice of fewer staples, or non-breaking ones, I'd take the non-breaking ones even if it meant an extra million of them.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mojo

I got it stripped down to the frame. Now I know why I kept feeling springs across my ass ( and I have alot of extra fat on my tush ). They put those ( I have no idea what they call them ) zig zag springs across. 3 of them and they had a considerable rise to them. The foam they used was thin and cheap.

I have a lot of extra foam that is brand new and good density from back when I was doing cushions. Rick suggested I cut a piece of plywood out for the seat and use the foam I have. I sat down on a piece of it........ Oh My what a difference. So comfortable.

Of course this brings up another problem. If these dining room chairs are comfortable to sit in that means I will sit at the table longer. If that is the case then I will eat more and may end up as big as an elephant. :)

My wife looked it over and said " no problem ". I guess she is going to do the sewing. I actually thought it was going to be difficult but one I tore it all down and seen how it went together, it was easier then I imagined. I mean it isn't simple but alot less complex then I thought.

Chris

Darren Henry

QuoteRick suggested I cut a piece of plywood out for the seat and use the foam I have.

This is where art meets science. Rick's idea does work but it makes a much flatter/ square looking seat that usually calls for a welt and border to sell the look. It also requires thicker foam which raises your seat height.

Being this small I prefer the look an feel of the sprung seat, but 3 is not enough. I would use a minimum of 4 springs tied together and covered with a layer of material like herculite or awning fabric.

The hybrid option is to cut the centre out of the plywood and staple furniweb across it.

Either way the key is good quality foam.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

MinUph

Gotta agree with Darren here,
  Can't beat springs of any kind over just foam. The latter being easy but not as lasting or as comfortable.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website