Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 07:26:03 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Pictures of your work space!!

Started by Regina NEEDS help, September 22, 2016, 10:44:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Regina NEEDS help

Hi all!

I am currently looking to make more use of my work space/room. Would anyone care to share some pictures of their studio or work area. Looking for any ideas for storage and the best way to organize tools! Would love to see how some of you all are set up in your work space! Thanks in advance for any suggestions or pictures!!

Regina

SteveA

sofadoc

This is a panoramic view of my immediate work area. Because of the panoramic effect, it may appear larger. It's actually 26' X 28'. Along the right side are various display fixtures that I "rescued" from retail store dumpsters. I use them for organizing tools and small parts.

"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

brmax

I would like to say Steve the drawers at that sew table are great, and thought out very well. It always gets my interest the proven designs.

The dang factory tables I have and others I see with 1 very limited drawer and to add if I could even get to any of mine now. Anyway I have them set in a longer table and the factory position is out of the access area now so, its get up and go get things. a pain!

I have been meaning to make or buy a smaller set of drawers like the fishing Plano pro-latch boxes I see at wally world to contain machine parts and extra screws or bobbin caps and what evers, machine separated.
The latch I am finding really nice is heavier than I have present so the need for a bit extra effort keeping these closed (knock on wood) no dropped snaps containers yet noc noc . This brand has a few different levels of latch and do mention any interested to check this part for best use, you can order these boxes separate also.

I seen a guy putting several "thread post" on his table to hold bobbins and thought ya I could use something, so purchased just one extra one for my machines and the juk have an extra hole so use that for 3 full bobbin storage, its always loaded with the empties as I eventually go robb anothers until the rewind finale!

Regina I don't have storage area like many or even most here and really need to get some large, concrete cylinder-form tubes and cut in half or whatever the length need. And more important I need easy access to just a few fabric rolls to "un-load" before I get to the desired one always at the bottom.
So the present 3/4" plywood storage squares I have built into a table end have a measure 12w"x16h" this is to much so I need to put a tube in some of these any way. I think I can use a 10" diameter installed, these I can get at the building box stores or at a local "pro contractor" rental place.
Just wanted to pass that along for thought as its a tested idea at big fabric supplies I have seen, anyway these concrete tubes can be had in several thickness's  I just have to check prices on such options. I have heard on here and other forums of our intrade textile stuff the thin ones are just to thin so I take it that as 1/8" don't hold me to the thin stuff.

I would seriously consider even a small area for flat storage of things like 54"x110" clears, imho

If we had an area like Sofa, well I myself would seriously have to get my rear in a faster gear ; )

good day
Floyd

Darren Henry

QuoteI seen a guy putting several "thread post" on his table to hold bobbins

I just ran three 3" deck screws down onto the table to the right or the bobbin winder and cut the heads off. It works well but the loose ends of of the  bobbin threads can get tangled up if i don't "tidy " them often enough.

I like having things in sets so I can find them quickly. I use several cabinets with small plastic drawers. One for wood screws, one for various zipper sliders, etc...Other "sets " include a tackle box with everything I might need to do a boat top; snaps,turn buckles, tubing cutter , etc.. Another one is full of wrenches,flashlight,yadda yadda for doing furniture repairs in house.

One thing I miss from my old shop is a rack at the end of the cutting table for roll goods. It was a lot easier to just roll off the wind plastic than to have to pull out that 25 yd roll and have to huff and puff it up onto the table and then wrestle it around to cut my windows.

Another little space saver is to break up large boxes of supplies. I used to buy my shoe findings in volume but didn't want to have to dig for what I needed. I had a small set of bins on the work bench with 3-4 pairs of each size of heel lifts , for example, and the rest in the cupboard over there. That way I had what I needed today at my finger tips without having to work around a box of 20-30 prs of half soles.

Because my work load is varied I just gather up what I am going to need for each job (couple of strips of staples,2 back tacking strips etc...) and set them beside my work station before I start. My basic tools I wear on  an apron, everything else I grab when I'm getting the supplies together. If my workload were more repetitive I'd have today's supplies in a little organizer at my workstation all the time.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

brmax

I forgot to mention storage as in tools, so really like to talk about tools yep! This will help your question.
First is a crash cart has got to be the bets since sliced bread, HF has great smaller gray ones sometimes on a super sale.

Movin on its by far cheaper to buy a tool box for tools storage of any kind, these can be had in colors "but" that is first where the custom cost is. This is fact no matter what price level box you choose so if you can deal with red your options went way up for cost effective purchase.

If this is even considered, it is possible to just purchase the top or bottom if one looks around.
The great thing about these are that they have wheels and can be pushed all over, or out of the way. One can make a cover for them and roll them in the dining room if need be, as these are used in every work station known to us these days.

Some things can be stored above us as I have seen a lot lately, but I haven't the slightest bit of room above my head for that (maybe someday), anyway I have seen leather and clear vinyl laid over big cardboard tubes as I mentioned prior and with simple pulley lifted up and out the way.

Also it seem many of the automotive trimmers like foam rolls above and some close to the lay out tables, I have heard to many mentioning to each other how cool that is on a roll above their head as its very handy.

hope that helps, its the best verbal photo I have : )
Floyd