Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 14, 2024, 08:19:07 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

I wondered where that went.

Started by gene, September 01, 2016, 06:46:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

September 01, 2016, 06:46:54 pm Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 06:49:04 pm by gene
I reupholstered a fully upholstered club chair in 2013. I am currently reupholstering the same chair. Today I took the back out panel off and found this inside.

I wondered where that went.

I put the tape measure on it to show the size of the roll of chip strip.

gene

http://i830.photobucket.com/albums/zz228/genejoe/th_IMG_20160901_130600_zps5orgm7wf.jpg

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

MinUph

Just like cardboard in the bank LOL
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

I had never heard the term "chip strip" until I joined this forum in '09.

I thought it must be a regional thing. But in checking supply websites from most every region of the country, I don't see the term used.

I call it tack strip. I've heard it called pancake strip, tack tape, cardboard strip, and a few other variations.

Just for fun, when I've called my Dallas area suppliers before, I've tried asking for chip strip. They have no idea what I'm talking about.

The main supplier that I buy from delivers to a 5 state region. He had never heard the term either.

I had also never heard of "ziggers", or "slip seats" before joining here.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

SteveA

A few months ago a desk came in for repair.  A piece of molding was broken off and lost.  The profile was a little detailed and I was needing 4-5 inches of this profile to replace the missing piece until I opened the drawer where I found the missing piece.  The repair was perfect for a change.

My neighboring shop orders a tack strip that is heavier -I don't know the name -  he doesn't always use the cardboard because when he pulls a panel tightly the cardboard can loose its shape slightly.  The stuff he orders is like a plastic and prefers it on outside back panels
SA

gene

September 02, 2016, 05:57:55 am #4 Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 05:59:02 am by gene
My supplier calls it cardboard tack strip. "Cardboard" and "chipboard" are often used interchangeably in the paper industry. I usually used the word chipboard when working in that industry. So out of habit, I call that type of material chipboard. Thus, chip strip. It does have a bit of a ring to it. No one has ever questioned what I was talking about.

Actually, I never noticed that I call it 'chip strip' until now.

If you don't call dining room chair slip seats "slip seats", what do you call them? How do you distinguish between these types of seats and seats that are fully upholstered where the fabric is pulled under the chair rails and stapled?

And, Darren, from up North, eh?, used the term "teddy bear stuffing" not too long ago. I am using that all the time now and it really clarifies exactly what I am talking about. I did tell one lady that I have a bunch of teddy bear skins in the back if she wanted one.

gene

MinUph

Quote from: gene on September 02, 2016, 05:57:55 am
My supplier calls it cardboard tack strip. "Cardboard" and "chipboard" are often used interchangeably in the paper industry. I usually used the word chipboard when working in that industry. So out of habit, I call that type of material chipboard. Thus, chip strip. It does have a bit of a ring to it. No one has ever questioned what I was talking about.

So its cardboard tackstrip.

Actually, I never noticed that I call it 'chip strip' until now.

If you don't call dining room chair slip seats "slip seats", what do you call them? How do you distinguish between these types of seats and seats that are fully upholstered where the fabric is pulled under the chair rails and stapled?

A dinning room chair that comes off and is not boxed is a tight seat, one that comes off or stays on and is boxed is a boxed seat. And one that doesnt come off is an upholstered tight or boxed seat. Now that we have that all straightened out :) That's what we called them anyway.

And, Darren, from up North, eh?, used the term "teddy bear stuffing" not too long ago. I am using that all the time now and it really clarifies exactly what I am talking about. I did tell one lady that I have a bunch of teddy bear skins in the back if she wanted one.

gene

Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

Actually, the term slip seats makes perfect sense. But when a customer is having trouble describing their DR seats to me, sometimes I'll ask "Are these slip seats?" They're never familiar with that term. It seems to conjure up an image in their mind of a DR chair with a slip cover.

Terms like chip strip and slip seat are only effective if they're easily acknowledged by the masses. Teddy Bear stuffing is a good one. Even if a customer has never heard it before, they know exactly what you're talking about.

My own original term is "drop cloth skirt" which is intended to describe a waterfall skirt that looks more like a painter's drop cloth draped over the frame. It seems to convey the meaning to my customers when we are trying to understand each other.

Another term that I'm taking full credit for is "doubling the skirt", which basically means folding the skirt panel in half and sewing the ends (no separate backing).

Now that I've properly hijacked another thread..........anybody else got any home made terms?
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

brmax

Chips and Strip, dropping the skirts, doubling the skirts!,  Slip seats!
Sounds like a date way way back ; )

its almost 5:00 somewhere
Floyd

byhammerandhand

Not really, but I've been working with an architect in the last couple of weeks to do a rehab of a church chapel.

First off, all his dimensions are something like 7' 2 1/2"   Whaaa?   Woodworkers / cabinet makers would call that 86 1/2"

Then the three of us doing the work are throwing around terms like loose tenons, rabbets, pocket holes, etc. and he has no idea.

We went to the wood mill this morning.   I think he was fully expecting to see a rack of 5 1/2 inch lumber that came in 7, 8, 9 and 10 foot lengths.    Ummm, no this is all random lengths and widths.  Cut out the wane, work around the defects, I like this quarter-sawn figure, no, that piece if flat sawn, how many board feet do we have, straight line rip/one edge, etc.

Quote from: sofadoc on September 02, 2016, 06:37:32 am

Now that I've properly hijacked another thread..........anybody else got any home made terms?
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

gene

I say, "A slip seat where you unscrew the seat and it comes off the chair." This seems to help but I still need a picture.

I once had someone tell me the seat unscrewed and came off the chair and when I got the picture it was a fully upholstered dining room chair, including the back and the arms on the two captains chairs.  :o

Keith, folks often want to get the cheapest price on everything. I wonder how good that carpenter was at estimating the job.

I like the saying, "Leave the fiddle playing to the fiddle player." But what do you do when the fiddle player ain't very good?

gene

Darren Henry

I left my favourite rubber mallet in a loveseat last summer. Lucky me, it was a piece of junk and was back in for another repair in only a couple of months.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

MinUph

This all reminds me of all the terms used in this business. Names of furniture, fabrics, fillings, etc. that people, customers and business people, throw out there. I have never taken much stock in these names or terms. So I try my damnedest not to use them Sometimes when used it causes a state of confusion with either the customer or the tradesman.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

baileyuph

Called tack strip in my time.  Chip strip connotes a wood composition, I guess a particle wood makeup?

Glad you found your tack strip Gene.  I probably got snagged to some chip strip - as seen in cheap framing.

Doyle