Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:15:50 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

XL

Started by SteveA, July 27, 2016, 02:41:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveA

Ed the original fabric on the chair had a tight back but after looking at examples on line they all have button backs.  I guess more eye candy is the norm with these chairs.
The chair will stay in the Family - my Son & daughter in law want it once they have a place big enough.  If it didn't have the lion faces maybe it would make a nice Celebrants chair ?  In all the images I viewed on line I have yet to find a duplicate and there were no hall marks inside on the rails. 
SA 

65Buick

Steve I my be mistaken, I thought you were doing these for a church or? Anyway it's looking really nice.

SteveA

It started out as a job but because the Church decided to go more modern I got it in lieu of the initial hours in.
I had a jar of nylon chair glides and used them to lay out the buttons.  Looks ok to me - there was nothing previous to go by

kodydog

November 08, 2017, 05:11:52 pm #93 Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 05:13:49 pm by kodydog
Quote from: SteveA on November 08, 2017, 10:01:00 am
in lieu of

That's interesting Steve. We started a job 17 months ago. This church was ruined when they added a new steeple to the roof that could not handle the load. Not only that the walls bowed out. This required a total demolish and rebuild of the worship hall. We received the down payment and ordered and cut the fabric. Last November they called and said the construction was almost done and could we get started. Me and three church members stripped the fabric off 26 pews. And then we waited. Last January the Reverend called and told us the contractor quit. The work that was done was out of compliance and they were looking for a new builder. We have made several contacts since then and they always promise the church will be done soon. We have just about given up on finishing this job. The good thing is the down payment has covered time and money spent.

So you may ask what does this have to do with your chair? While I was there I picked up 4 chairs used on the stage. Gothic style and somewhat ornate but not near as ornate as yours. They have been in my storage shed almost a year now. 
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

SteveA

My Wife loves our chair vs where do we put it when it's done.  About 20 years ago the Pastor wanted to change the fabric on the kneelers.  I was part of a volunteer handy man committee at the Parish that did odd jobs around the Church.  We had 3-4 different tradesman and 3-4 guys to assist.  Every couple of weeks we would meet and tackle a project.  Parishioners supplied lunch and we had a close friendship.  Well 220 kneelers - remove and replace with Naugahyde - just wrap around.  Took one month and cost me a staple gun - killed the cheapo one I had an old Dayton -     

SA

SteveA

Very lucky my good buddy Jose stopped by when I was getting ready to start the back.  He told me to go sit at the other end of the shop and make buttons - Jose is a life long upholsterer and he said if I did the back I'd screw it up - I didn't disagree with him.  Interesting how he approached the back with many changes to what I had in mind.  First he started with straps on the inside back rest.  He wanted to use synthetic instead of the red webbing I had in mind.  He wanted less of a projecting fold.  He took fox edge which I wasn't considering and outlined the edges so that the foam wouldn't round over near the edge, he turned the fox edge around with the tab facing the finished woodwork ?  Had no idea what he was doing ? .  This left room for the gimp at the end.  Straps, than foam 2 inch - I wanted tight buttons however he drilled out the foam with a 3/4 inch hole saw so the buttons would press in further I didn't think it was necessary - he did.   The cardboard template worked good for laying out the pattern and the pine wood around the edges worked out well to hold the strapping back enough so the gimp had room and went on nicely.  I put the pine because I thought the existing 1/2 inch edge wouldn't hold all the staples without breaking apart but this pine wood also allowed new room for a very neat gimp job.  This chair would never have been as nice if Jose didn't stop by -  upholstery by a pro was the craftsmanship necessary to have the best result.  Thanks Jose -

65Buick

Really beautiful, Steve.
I think I only understand about 1/2 of what you said.

To begin, what size buttons are those?

SteveA

Ian I read it over and can't blame you for not knowing what the heck I was talking about. 
The buttons are 30 with the eyelid for button twine.  While Jose pulled the twine from the back I pressed the face of the button to the depth before he tied it off. 
I forgot to mention we also used a layer of cotton over the foam to further soften the look. 
SA

65Buick

What is a "fox edge"?

And as far as the webbing, I think you're talking about the black stuff. I am not sure what difference this makes except that it is sort of elastic.

SteveA

The fox edge is a heavy rolled type of piping used on the front and side edges of the raw wood frame before the foam or cotton. It softens the hard edge of the wood.
The black synthetic is thinner so when it's folded over to staple it makes less of a bump -
Maybe some refer to fox edge by another name but that's the only name I've come across for that material
SA

65Buick

I see fox edge is an edge roll. Asking about that in a new thread.

kodydog

Really nice job Steve. I bet your glad its done.

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

SteveA

Thanks Ed - yes it was wearing on me knowing the work it needed and I had my regular work to do.  Toward the end it was starting to feel like a chore.  Anyway thinking back I was going to cut up the wood for smaller projects - doing this giant restoration wasn't my first choice.  After I got it back to the shop I thought to myself this chair has been around 150 years - you won't see many like it - and who knows what Priest celebrated Mass seated in this chair.  Maybe the Arch Bishop ?  Dare I say a Pope ?  Maybe one day I'll find a picture with John Paul seated in this chair.  I'm very glad it's done - my Wife fixed up a place in the L/R - hung plates and looks at it as sculpture - I see woodworking craftsmanship from an earlier period when high quality mattered.  This is my last entry - I have the chair until my Son and DIL trade me for a grandchild. 

gene

Beautiful work. I am most impressed with all the wood repair you did.

I think you got the outlay of the tufted buttons perfect. I can't imagine the original being any different.

And a well deserved glass of your favorite brew on the side table.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

SteveA

I wondered who would notice - that's my favorite - had to put it down to take the photo -  Thanks for the kind words -
SA