Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 02:30:41 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

XL

Started by SteveA, July 27, 2016, 02:41:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

kodydog

July 14, 2017, 04:59:13 pm #60 Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 06:29:19 pm by kodydog
The lacquer you are using, does it give that antique look all in one application or do you spray something on it first? That's an awesome looking finial Steve.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

SteveA

I do use that lacquer for touch up- but held the can there only to show the size of the finial.  Spraying clear lacquer over rosewood that's been stripped will show the true color of the wood.  Many of the replacement pieces may be too red since the chair in general has faded to a golden orange color.  It will need selective staining when the time comes. I don't want an antique finish - I want to see the grain.

Due to the oil in rosewood after lightly staining with a dye it will be sprayed first with seal coat then the clear lacquer.  I do like lacquer very much and use it for most everything I do.  As far as replicating the antique look on any piece;  it excels at that.  With a coat of seal coat followed by clear solvent lacquer you can achieve a finish of any luster including gloss without the heavy look of an oil varnish that also needs multiple coats sanded back to have an unbroken appearance of gloss.  Behlens and Mohawk are very good products.  Glazes and toning are another way of building a finish to appear old, soiled, tarnished, and dirty.  When you look at the finial next to the can before it was stripped you can't even see the grain of the wood  from years of soil, linseed polishing, and waxes 
Keith if he's looking in can add ideas for antiquing a finish. 
SA

SteveA

A workmate and wood clamp was necessary to hold the turning for carving. The large ring is done -  The wood is so hard you can't hold it with one hand and push the chisel with the other.  Used a 3/8 wood chisel for the carving and a auriou riffler for clean up.
IE is is working for photobucket - chrome is giving me problems or photobucket has a problem with chrome

SteveA

Finally finished making the missing finial.  Made it in three pieces - just seemed easier that way.  The new pieces are rosewood but the natural color really varied -it will need some toning to get it to blend.  I have to buy some castors for the legs.  I want something heavy and I've been looking through the faultless catalog.  After I get casters I think it's best to put the springs back before some bleaching and applying finish.  Any suggestions - should I use synthetic straps or go with the regular red burlap.  I think the synthetic is better - is that right ?    Photobucket was a real pain to load 3 photos - took almost 30 minutes.
SA   

65Buick

Once you get that color matched, I don't think anyone could tell that one was re-made to match. Really superb work.

The casters - They were probably metal ones on the front only?

Photobucket is on it's way out. Unless you want to start paying a whole bunch.

SteveA

I'm going to do the seat springs before finishing the chair due to the difficultly handling this size chair. I don't want to bruise the new finish while doing the seat.  I don't remember how the  straps were attached to the front rail - not seeing screw holes for a rail that was attached below the carvings.  I'm sure the straps weren't attached to the high + low of the carvings. Maybe the straps were just folded over and tacked into the face.   Does adding a rail even with the side rails sound right to you ?

kodydog

I know you are trying to keep this project original but sometimes back then they gave no consideration to the upholsterer. I would add the rail just to make it easier.

SteveA

Thanks - I did add the rail - I was a little hesitant to do it so as not to crowd the springs (16) but they all fit when I placed them on top of the webbing -
I placed the new rail slightly below the side rails so that the webbing is hidden when you view the carved rail from the front

SA

SteveA

Finally finished the springs.  16 springs - I replaced the older ones that were rusted out.  Interestingly the previous center springs were softer than the edge springs - I guess so the sides wouldn't collapse in and the center would remain soft. For the new springs I used the same strength springs throughout and nearly a roll of spring twine.  Now I need to do some finishing work.  I'll cover the springs.  Some bleaching on the woods that never got lighter from the sun - seal, stain, and lacquer top coats.  I had some maroon mohair left over from another job but no the Mrs. wants to pick out something different.  She asks me how would paisley look - I didn't answer her

65Buick

Paisley? oh boy.

Nice work there.

kodydog

That's a lot of springs. :) Mohair would look awesome but the wife always has the final decoration decision. Happy wife happy life.

SteveA

Mojo

Love that chair. Cannot wait to see the finished photo.

Mojo

65Buick

Wow, wow, wow. Also looking forward to the upholstery.

sofadoc

This is currently the ONLY thread on the entire first page of general discussion that isn't infested with spam.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban