Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 04:22:47 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Recliner cable releases

Started by byhammerandhand, July 20, 2016, 08:21:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

byhammerandhand

I've replaced a number of these, but never discovered the best method or tool to remove the little rectangular clip at the kickout end.   Anyone have the easy way to do this?https://gallery.mailchimp.com/85f44c62cf7023fd358e2dc03/images/10e1fb53-4174-49a7-b917-2bae487065bc.jpg
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Darren Henry

I do many of these as well. My favourite tool is a pair of nail nippers. With the back in the upright position you can usually get at the inside of the clip and squeeze the the two parts of the centre section together and out it comes.  Picture squeezing it between thumb and forefinger. I have on occasion managed with a pair of slip joint pliers.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

sofadoc

"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

byhammerandhand

Darren, do you mean (toe) nail nippers like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WIW6T4Y/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687642&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00MVABJJI&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=7V6K5CDMEG69Q2FRBM48

or carpenter's nail pincers (nippers) like these

And SofaDoc, what is the name of that tool?

I have been tempted to just cut them out some times because I'm just replacing the whole thing because the end broke.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

sofadoc

It's an automotive tool. Designed for fuel line hose clamps.

Yeah, If I'm replacing the cable anyway, I just savagely rip it out. But more often than not, I'm reupholstering the piece. So my intention is to re-use the cable.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

baileyuph

I use a tool similar to the tool Darren uses.  Sometimes it is hard to get to and I have to try and get it to release from the back side.  These are tight quarters we are talking about.  I usually want to save the clip and do try not to damage it. 

Also slip joint, a long needle nose, are tools I try.  Even if half of the clip comes free, the rest of the clip will roll out. 

Fun stuff huh?

Doyle

Darren Henry

It's the carpenter's pincers I use. Thanks for posting the pic---I forgot to take one at work yesterday to post.

I have got to get me a pair of those pliers 'Doc shows in his video. Those are slick!!!
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

byhammerandhand

Well, this week I ran out of cable ties (used to hold recliner release cables out of the mech, among other things.  Low and behold, Harbor Freight sent a flyer, 25% off any one item (even on sale prices) and a free pack of 100 cable ties with a $5 purchase.   Picked up their three-pack of hose pliers for $11 (even though I only need one) and got the cable ties.

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-piece-long-reach-hose-grip-pliers-37909.html
Keith

Darren Henry

QuoteI use a tool similar to the tool Darren uses.  Sometimes it is hard to get to and I have to try and get it to release from the back side.

I'm not sure of your idea of "back side", but generally if the seat /back is in the upright position I can get at the pointed end of that < we are trying to squeeze.