Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:06:12 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Winged headboards

Started by MinUph, July 09, 2016, 01:01:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MinUph

Does anyone else make these? I did my first one last week and it came out beautiful. I would like to pick brains on this.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

I did a king size. The wing went all the way to the floor. It was 6" wide at the floor, and tapered to 2" at the top. Deep tufts in the middle. It came out great. But in retrospect, I wished that I had charged more. I think I got $700 including a microsuede fabric. With time and materials, I didn't come out too well.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

gene

I've recovered three, if my memory serves me correctly. Even if my memory is wrong, I still remember covering three.

I've never made one from scratch.

Here's a video on the topic that I probably watched when it first was posted. This lady has some good videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFr7aGEl-NA

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

MinUph

The one I just did was a King size with tapered wings from 8" on top to 6" at the mattress height then straight 6" to the floor. This will also hang on the wall with a french cleat. I priced it fine at around 1100 without fabric. My concern is I want to build these knocked down so I don't have a 78" x 80" headboard to deliver. This one will work out but not all will be as easy a delivery. Elevators, hallways etc. So I need to install the wings on site in the simplest manner I can figure out. I don't want a seam running down the side of the wing so in this case I left the OW unfinished until I attached the wing to the face. But that means finishing it with a welt and outside back in the shop. I don't want to have to do this. I have looked at a couple furniture stores to steal a peek and found one with a zippered OB so they could get inside with some sort of fastener. Not sure I like this way but it is an option. I really want to fasten through the outside back. I'm contemplating velcro on the OW to fasten to velcro on the ob. This will work without welt down the sides of the outside edge. I dont like that part. Anyone have any other ideas? I don't want these seams where the sections come together on the sides or top to show.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

SteveA

You'll probably never do enough of them to make it worth driving yourself crazy figuring out a no brainer.  You have to install the cleat to the wall,  the metal frame to the lower end, and pick up a check so you're on site. 
SA

MinUph

Quote from: SteveA on July 10, 2016, 08:30:39 am
You'll probably never do enough of them to make it worth driving yourself crazy figuring out a no brainer.  You have to install the cleat to the wall,  the metal frame to the lower end, and pick up a check so you're on site. 
SA

Yes with screw gun,level and a few screws. No compresser stapler or the hour to finish it up on site. Also i do plan on building these more often than not.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

SteveA

I'm thinking maybe bed rail hardware can work. 

http://www.cshardware.com/hardware/furniture-hardware/bed-hardware/15-74-5.html?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping%20Bing%20All&utm_term=1100913642612&utm_content=Ad%20group%20%231

You could mortise the plate in flush and have the ability to finish all surfaces with fabric in the shop

SA

MinUph

Now that's a possible option Steve. Thanks.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website