Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:33:12 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Domestic Fabric Mills?

Started by baileyuph, June 19, 2016, 03:01:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

Some time in the past, I was usually aware of the mill that produced the fabric in use and
was usually domestic - with that thought, is much or any still from a US mill?

If off shore, whom may be doing a lot of it? 

The mill and fabric content is often of interest.

Doyle

MinUph

Doyle,
  Fabrics are being made here in the US once again. Charlotte fabrics takes samples to US mills and asks them to make it here. When they can and do Charlotte puts them in the books. Stars on their books show it's made in the USA. I have probably 20-30 stared books. Also other vendors are stating it in the tag on the back of the sample pages in the books "made in USA" So it is coming back slow but sure.
  Nice huh.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

baileyuph

Good to hear, this country needs all the mfg. that can be done.

I would like to review their offerings - Maybe I will google and get contact information.

I enjoy working with quality fabrics like most business here.

Thanks Paul,

Doyle

Mojo

I cannot speak on general upholstery fabric but in regards to acrylic/awning fabric the vast majority is manufactured overseas. Sattler is made in Austria with fiber mixing done in Germany. Recacril is manufactured in Barcelona, Spain as is their fiber mixing. Outdura is manufactured in North Carolina with fiber mixing done in Germany. Sunbrella is manufactured in the USA with fiber mixing done in China. Of course there is a lot of counterfeit acrylics on the market, many being Sunbrella and all coming from China. THis is why we get our rolls directly from Sattler's mill in Austria. It gets loaded on a ship and comes directly to us or is flown in if we run short on certain colors. We do not use middle men or brokers and deal directly with the factory.

A new acrylic to the USA is Tempotest. It is being warehoused in the USA by Miami Corp and its fiber mixing and production is done in Italy.

There used to be dozens of fiber supply companies but two big conglomerates bought them all out. Now there are only two fiber mixing companies left in the world.

We use Sattler almost exclusively because of the quality and weight but just switched two of our color offerings to Tempotest because Sattler does not offer those colors.

Vinyl fabric is another story. It is manufactured all over the place including the USA, China and Korea. Our vinyl offering comes from Sattler and is manufactured in Germany. Again, the quality of the vinyl from Germany is way above any offerings from anyone else. Vinyl is another fabric that has problems with counterfeiting and knockoff's making their way into the USA supply chain.

Chris