Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 21, 2024, 04:08:14 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Foam Wedge

Started by SteveA, July 07, 2016, 12:57:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveA

Stopped in to see a friend and he was stuffing the corners of a foam bench with 65.  Keeps the corner from crushing when pulling the fabric tight.  Hadn't seen this before - seems better then padding the corners.  The bench looked great at completion - all even all across.
Any other tips for corners - please post !

SA

gene

I'm confused on what you've got there.

Does the foam sit on top of a board, and the fabric is then pulled down on the foam and stapled on the bottom of the board?

Did he put a wedge of foam in each of the 4 corners?

What dos 65 mean?

Do you have a picture of the finished bench?

This is interesting. I haven't seen this before either.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

kodydog

Crushed corners are always a big concern of mine. With heavy fabric I usually add a little cotton to each corner and this looks good but with thin fabric you sometimes see a lump. I've seen some cushions and ottomans that had so much cotton stuffed in the corners they looked awful.

Like Gene, I am interested in more info. More explanation.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Darren Henry

Thanks Steve. Great tip for when the fabric wants to show off the handfull of loose dacron  (teddy bear guts) that you sometimes have to add.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

SteveA

When I looked at the bench top foam already wrapped in Dacron I noticed the blue 65 density wedges in each corner of the 45 foam bench top cushion.  He wedges in a heavier foam to strengthen and lift the corners so when he pulls the fabric tight the corners don't crush down and the entire bench top foam is even.  The piece you're looking at is a sample he made me while he explained - since the bench was already covered in Dacron and ready for fabric.
SA

SteveA

This was an exotic leather hide

sofadoc

July 08, 2016, 05:46:34 am #6 Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 05:58:32 am by sofadoc
Interesting idea. I'll have to keep that one in mind.
But I assume that your example pic is an over-sized exaggerated version? For a 3"-4" cushion, it seems like a wedge would be too small to make a noticeable difference.

Along a similar line, I had a job that required making some long foam wedges. Here is a jig that I rigged up.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

SteveA

We have to patent that one :)
Today I helped with a delivery and he asked me if I wanted an extra tree saw he had.  I said no thanks I've got two but what do you use them for.  The reply came " when I have to trim a large foam cushion"   1 in. off of 5 in. lets say !    I asked - what about the ele knife - reply - the tree saw works better. 
Maybe for him - not for me -  I get the supply house to cut it - they don't charge me.  To each his own
Keep the tips coming
SA

sofadoc

I don't live close enough to a supply house to have them cut foam for me. So I buy only 6" sheets of foam and slice them with the "tree saw".

http://www.yourautotrim.com/uforusl.html

gene

Mr. S.O. Fadoc,

On the prices for US Foam, 2 sheets of 3" and 3 sheets of 2" are the same price as 1 sheet of 6".

With the labor of cutting the 6" foam, where do you find the benefit to buying 6" foam and cutting it yourself?

Thanks,

Gene

gene

Darren, "Teddy Bear guts". LOL I'm going to start using that term. It's a much better description than "Poly batting" or "Dacron".

Those threads that you get from using hot melt glue are generally called "spider threads". I used that term a few years ago and a customer panicked thinking that there were spiders in my studio, and specifically on her chair. I always say "hot melt glue threads" now.

I once couldn't think of the word "tassel" so I said "hangie down things". I was told that's probably not the best euphemism to use for tassels.

gee

sofadoc

Quote from: gene on July 09, 2016, 08:21:35 am
On the prices for US Foam, 2 sheets of 3" and 3 sheets of 2" are the same price as 1 sheet of 6".
With the labor of cutting the 6" foam, where do you find the benefit to buying 6" foam and cutting it yourself?
You're right about cost. And when I know ahead of time that I'll be needing thinner sheets, I'll order them that way. But for general stocking purposes, I just order the 6".

I got into this habit because I do some custom benches for a factory. Their drawings are VERY specific about foam thickness. If they specify 2.75", it damn well better be 2.75". If I put 3" in it, they'll kick it back.

With the U-cut slicer, I can be more exact. And it's easier to cut a 2.75" piece off a 6" piece than it is to shave .25" off a 3" piece. Hence, ergo.....I usually only buy 6".

gene

Thanks for the info. I assumed that there was a logical reason why. Texans don't take a sh@t without a plan. Or is that the Russians?

QuoteIf they specify 2.75"
When I sold paper packaging materials I would occasionally get a buyer who was new to buying paper products, and who used to buy metal products. I would get a P.O. for a paper product that had tolerances down to the ten thousandth of an inch. I would tell them that if they could keep a constant temperature and humidity on this entire planet, and if no one would breath on the products, I might be able to meet their requirements.

gene

Darren Henry

QuoteWith the labor of cutting the 6" foam, where do you find the benefit to buying 6" foam and cutting it yourself?

I've considered this option a few times as well. I haven't done it because I don't have much faith in those foam saws without trying one first. I too am a couple of hours away from  my suppliers and the shipping cost gets to be pretty steep. I try to stock 2,3,and 4" for a couple of months and a bit of 5" just in case, but if I get a run on say 4" I can be out of it but still knee deep in the wrong thicknesses. If I had a "log" of foam I could cut 3 - 4" pieces or 4- 3" pieces etc...thereby saving the freight.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!