Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 04:00:19 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Bullnose cushion without zipper HELP!

Started by Regina NEEDS help, July 01, 2016, 02:01:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Regina NEEDS help

Hello fellow upholsterers!

I'm reupholstering bullnose cushions for patio furniture. The original cushion was made by a manufacturer and had no zipper, they were just sewn shut.
All cushions have piping.
My first time making a bullnose cushion, I just assumed it would be easy and of course it has me sitting here now scratching my head. I've watched some videos on bullnose cushions but I have not come up with any instructions for cushions that are sewn shut. I am just looking for any advice on the process of doing this.  I really don't want to make zipper panels but it will be my last resort.  Anyone have an experience with this?

Thank you all!
REGINA

MinUph

Depends on your sewing skills. You can fold the cushion over to work it under the machine to sew it closed, make a zipper instead or hand sew the cushion closed. Personally I would go the zipper route.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

gene

Howdy,

I too would just put a zipper in it.

If you are going to sew it closed, use a lot of pins to hold the fabric panels together. Use pins to help hold the cushion back away from the edge that you are going to sew by pushing the foam back and pinning the fabric panels together. You can work your way back from the edge of the fabric so when you go to sew at the machine, you have a big flap of fabric to sew with the cushion pushed back out of the way.

I get a chuckle when someone picks out a print, such as horses, and they want a bullnose cushion. They don't realize that the horses will be upside down on the underside of the cushion.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Regina NEEDS help

Thank you all! Great ideas. I will try my best. I guess worst case I can just make a zipper panel.

Darren Henry

I just cut the panels as if I am sewing them. That is a 1/2" "seam allowance". I then turn them over and spray adhesive on the back 1" or so of both and fold over my 1/2" allowance. Sew the two panels to the zipper and then sew up the cushion.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

BlueFlamingo

How thick are they?  If 5-6"  you can make a envelope panel for the back boxing piece.  Example:  take two pieces of material 6" wide  Hem one side with a 1/2" hem leave the other alone for your outer selvage for the seam.  Over lap the two pieces equally and sew the ends closed.   To Install the foam bend it and stuff it in the cover through the envelope opening and fold flat.  You can also sew a 3-4" long piece of velcro in the middle of the two pieces to help aide keeping the envelope opening closed.

Hope this all made sense.

MinUph

Quote from: BlueFlamingo on July 03, 2016, 05:27:17 pm
How thick are they?  If 5-6"  you can make a envelope panel for the back boxing piece.  Example:  take two pieces of material 6" wide  Hem one side with a 1/2" hem leave the other alone for your outer selvage for the seam.  Over lap the two pieces equally and sew the ends closed.   To Install the foam bend it and stuff it in the cover through the envelope opening and fold flat.  You can also sew a 3-4" long piece of velcro in the middle of the two pieces to help aide keeping the envelope opening closed.

Hope this all made sense.

I might be wrong but this sounds like much more work than making a zipper.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website