Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 03:28:34 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Pulling Staples - Can be time consuming

Started by baileyuph, June 28, 2016, 06:45:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

The tool is also great for shaving off compressed fiber pads so you can re-use them.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

gene

August 20, 2017, 05:38:31 am #31 Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 05:39:44 am by gene
Yesterday I removed the fabric from 8 dining room chair slip seats and 5 bar stool seats.

I used my oscillating multi-function power tool from Harbor Freight, with the carbide blade. It was like getting a hand massage. If I wanted heat with the massage I held the tool where the motor is. If I did not want heat I held the tool toward the back away from the motor.

The bar stools had 3 layers of fabric. They came off slowly but oh so much easier than pulling staples one at a time.

I went slow, took my time, and enjoyed the hand massage.

The cut staple pieces can be hot. There was red fabric on the bar stools. I had a staple piece land on my arm and I jumped and screamed with a scream that would have really embarrassed me if anyone had heard it. A piece of red fuzz from the fabric was stuck on the end of the staple part and it made the staple part look like the end was red hot. LOL

And yes, be sure to wear eye protection.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

gene

I got a one hour hand massage yesterday. I used my oscillating multi-function power tool from Harbor Freight, with the carbide blade from Amazon, on an antique wing back chair. I only used my staple puller to pry off a few pieces of metal tack strip.

Who would have thought that getting a hand massage would require eye protection, hearing protection, and a respirator?

I'm getting better at removing all the staple pieces sticking out of the wood without digging into the wood. I'm able to get the wood smooth with no metal staple parts sticking out. There is a learning curve and I think I will get better at this.

The only concern I have is the many metal pieces of staples that gather on the cotton and all over the place. Not a big deal, just the only issue I can think of.

Happy hands,

gene

sofadoc

Quote from: gene on August 30, 2017, 05:24:05 am
There is a learning curve and I think I will get better at this.

Yes there is. Unfortunately, most people don't give the "learning curve" enough time, and just go back to their old ways.

I credit the oscillating tool and the electric rotary fabric cutter for extending my career. Without them, I'm pretty sure that I would've had to give it up by now. The mere thought of gripping a staple lifter makes me wince with pain.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

65Buick

Whatc wouldbe neat is an electromagnetic staple puller. Could be square or circular. Place tool over stapled area. Depress button. Electromagnets turn on and attach to magnet. Depress button. Staples fall off. Rinse & repeat.

MinUph

Quote from: 65Buick on September 08, 2017, 03:56:43 pm
Whatc wouldbe neat is an electromagnetic staple puller. Could be square or circular. Place tool over stapled area. Depress button. Electromagnets turn on and attach to magnet. Depress button. Staples fall off. Rinse & repeat.

Now that's what I'm talking about. A magnet would need to be strong enough to lift a car.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

gene

My skull would hit the magnet every time I turned it on.

gene

baileyuph

Removed staples in a large ottoman today and saw that when it was reupholstered
before - the fabric was cut along the staple line.  None removed, merely cut the fabric
to remove leaving the old staples there.

Sure gets messy having to remove them like I did.

Doyle

65Buick

Doyle I see this too. And if you're in a huge hurry then it does save time.
But to me it just seems wrong. Maybe I'm nuts.

Gene don't you worry or have problems with the staple remnants?

I know that my electro-magnetic idea would work. But the real issue is that no engineer is going to waste time designing that for what- the 10 re-upholsterers there are in the country?

gene

September 10, 2017, 07:39:48 pm #39 Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 07:41:14 pm by gene
65Buick, I once had the idea of using acid on the staples. Just put a drop on each staple and watch the metal dissolve. I read a little bit about acids and that's as far as I got.

Regarding cutting staples, I run a floor magnet over everything. When I reuse the cotton or poly batting I go over it to take out any metal pieces. I have gotten a few in my shoes that I found out about later in the day.

Once you see an ant trail of staples running across and down the back of a sofa, and you take that hand massager and gently let it "pop, pop, pop" as it cuts the staples, that's a nice feeling.

If your electric magnet is strong enough to pull out staples wouldn't it also be strong enough to attract the springs and metal ply grip and 2" staples, etc. Wouldn't you have to strap down the chair or sofa, and make sure there were no other metal tools around, and make sure you or anyone who comes in your shop doesn't have a pace maker? And what about when the little doggie, with metal on it's collar, ventures by while the magnet is on?
Just some thoughts to consider.

gene

65Buick

I am investigating this as time allows. I have found that welders commonly used EM to hold metal objects from moving as they do their work. It is possible that something already on the market could be used for our purposes.

gene

My $19 Harbor Freight oscillating electric cutter burned up this week. It was very anti climatic. It slowed down and started smelling bad. I had bought a back up from an auction site so no time was lost. I'll buy a new one from Harbor Freight this weekend.

FYI: The carbide tipped blades make a big difference.

gene

baileyuph

Something I will pass along regarding - "pulling staples made easier".

Gene made me think about it when he described a recent work load - I had several in
one day to do and they were the tough type.  Then -- thinking of a better way, I found
one of my old jute webbing stretchers which was shaped like a number "7". 

I got the top of the 7 (where the sharp spikes are) into the cloth being removed and
using the long end of the 7 like a crank handle went across a side of the chair cushions,
one at a time and did it make the job easier!  As you can see I was pulling the cloth
loose in a roll up fashion and of course the staples came with it!!!

I won't forget that old tool next time.

Some of that hardwood with staples, like you guys are saying are almost impossible!

Doyle

BlueFlamingo

I use an awl to pop em up and wire cutters to pull em out.  I also made my own removing tool from a Gasket scraper.  Cut v grooves in the blade and it works quite well

65Buick

Gene: you haven't had any trouble leaving the staple legs in? I figure when you're shooting new staples the surface area of hitting an old would be like 90% less.

Cuz I am really over hand removing staples. It's not like anyone is looking there.