Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:09:24 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

First Project Ever

Started by darrenhe, May 30, 2016, 10:45:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

darrenhe

Hello!

I have a plywood board with measurements of 33" x 58" x 0.5". It sits on top of some IKEA Kallax shelves (2x4, lying down).

I'd like to upholster the board so that it's comfortable to sit and lie down on, and so that the edges of the board are cushioned to prevent painful bumps.

I have no experience upholstering whatsoever. I've done a little bit of research, but I'd appreciate some guidance on how I might best approach this project. Will this be like the chair upholstering instructions that I've seen online? - basically, wood -> foam -> batting -> fabric, wrap around and staple gun? Any thoughts on best material specifics to use, and are they readily available online or at Home Depot?

Sorry for the all the newbie questions, and thanks in advance for the help!

Darren

Darren Henry

Welcome to the board Darren.

Yes the technique most often used for what you want is like doing a chair. I don't know which video you watched. Some are very good---some are not. Check out a couple of them.

Quick notes;
>Cut your foam 1/2" larger than the wood all the way around. In this case 34X59).
> Two inch foam would be alright, but I'd probably go 3".
> Search your local fabricland etc... for a fabric/vinyl with very little stretch to avoid bagging over time on such a big cushion. They should also have the foam and batting.
> If you wrap the batting you will get a rounder edge. For a nice crisp "square cushion" just glue the batting to the top of the foam.
> If you know someone who sews ---sewing the corners looks better than folded pleats.

Good luck. Keep us posted.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

kodydog

Quote from: darrenhe on May 30, 2016, 10:45:17 pm
I have no experience upholstering whatsoever. I've done a little bit of research, but I'd appreciate some guidance on how I might best approach this project. Will this be like the chair upholstering instructions that I've seen online? - basically, wood -> foam -> batting -> fabric, wrap around and staple gun? Any thoughts on best material specifics to use, and are they readily available online or at Home Depot?

Darren

This is an excellent project for a beginner. And what you discribed would be the correct procedure to cover a board like this.

Just a few ideas.
This is a rather large board, it will need a frame support of some kind to prevent sagging.

You can buy supplies at Hobby Lobby or JoAnns but my experience with hobby stores is their quality in foam and batting is low. It would be better to purchase your supplies from an upholsterer. It will be a bit more expensive but the higher quality will last much longer. You will have to find an upholsterer who sells retail, they will be able to cut any size foam you need.

You will get much better response if you post this question under "general discussion".

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

darrenhe

Thanks for the replies!

Do you have any recommended videos?

Quote from: Darren Henry on May 31, 2016, 04:42:02 am
Welcome to the board Darren.

Yes the technique most often used for what you want is like doing a chair. I don't know which video you watched. Some are very good---some are not. Check out a couple of them.

Quick notes;
>Cut your foam 1/2" larger than the wood all the way around. In this case 34X59).
> Two inch foam would be alright, but I'd probably go 3".
> Search your local fabricland etc... for a fabric/vinyl with very little stretch to avoid bagging over time on such a big cushion. They should also have the foam and batting.
> If you wrap the batting you will get a rounder edge. For a nice crisp "square cushion" just glue the batting to the top of the foam.
> If you know someone who sews ---sewing the corners looks better than folded pleats.

Good luck. Keep us posted.