Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 14, 2024, 12:27:29 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

nsfw because of a few dirty words...

Started by gene, May 17, 2016, 05:05:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

I'm thinking this guy opened an upholstery shop in Annandale, VA. and things didn't go as he had planned.

gene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-GrF87b82Q
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

SteveA

That was depressing to watch even though the narrators description was embellished.  Probably was an upholsterer who recently found out the revenue for their restoration trade is barely considered lower middle class today.    How do you fix that -big box stores, bicycle lanes, social services,  - or maybe better schools, family support, and jobs ? 

SA

gene

May 18, 2016, 07:55:50 pm #2 Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 07:57:41 pm by gene
When I first posted this video I thought it was rather funny. I could only imagine what would bring someone to make it.

After watching again, it is rather depressing. And not to start a political off topic, but I do think you are correct Steve in that education is the key. I could list many, many forces in our society that work against people getting an education. Such as, almost all universities now talk about the social life more than the academic life to get kids to attend their institutions of higher, or extended,  adolescence.

I went into a store today and a young lady, probably around 20, had just started working there a month ago. That's when I first met her. Today she was so high she hardly knew where she was. I gave myself the correct change. What kind of a future does she have?

Sorry for the downer. Working in upholstery is depressing enough without folks posting videos that bum us out.  ???

gene

kodydog

Your life could be worse - Annandale Va
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

gene

What would your life be like if Annandale, VA was a step up?

gene

SteveA

Quality education has to be improved.  This is key  - here and globally.   What about developing real trade programs in the schools ? Isn't it better to have students developing trades than to allow many to get left behind who can't keep up academically ? 
Teaching is extremely rewarding but when graduates are faced with those big salaries on Wall Street vs teaching - who wins out. We need the best and brightest in our schools.   Throw a spiral 60 yards - change your sex - become a racial antagonist or invent a pill to increase libido - plenty of great opportunities out there otherwise

SA

sofadoc

A doctor is leading some med students on a tour of the hospital.

They come upon a room where a man is masturbating at a feverish rate. One of the female med students shouts "Oh my word! How can you allow that?"

The doctor explains "Well you see, this patient has a rare disease. His testicles will explode if he doesn't relieve them periodically". The med students seemed satisfied with that answer.

In the next room, a man was being pleasured by a nurse down on her knees. The doctor turned to the med students, and said "Same illness.......better health plan".

"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

SteveA

My plan with O'Bama doesn't even allow me to be in a teaching hospital -
SA

Virgs Sew n Sew

Quote from: SteveA on May 20, 2016, 04:07:40 am
Quality education has to be improved.  This is key  - here and globally.   What about developing real trade programs in the schools ? Isn't it better to have students developing trades than to allow many to get left behind who can't keep up academically ? 
Teaching is extremely rewarding but when graduates are faced with those big salaries on Wall Street vs teaching - who wins out. We need the best and brightest in our schools.   Throw a spiral 60 yards - change your sex - become a racial antagonist or invent a pill to increase libido - plenty of great opportunities out there otherwise

SA

We actually have a program such as you're talking about at our senior high.  Geared towards the academically challenged that won't make it at jr or 4 year colleges.  Works with welding, auto mechanic skills and some others.  I think we had 17 graduate from there last Monday.  They should have meaningful skills to get them in the job market.  I think we've had it less than 5 years so I don't know the long term success rates.

Virginia
Fuck this place.

sofadoc

Our local high school (that I graduated from) still has vocational programs. But they have certainly evolved into something different over the years.

When I went there in '74-'76, the vocational courses were:
Upholstery
Wood Shop
Radio & TV Repair
Auto Mechanics
Welding
Electronics

Today, the courses are:
Metal Fabrication
Floral Design
Video Editing
Architectural Design
Culinary Arts
Robotics

SteveA

In the local high schools here they have workshops for trades but due to insurance concerns they do not allow the students to get too involved with power tools.  They turn the classes into more reading and theory than actual hands on work

SA

Virgs Sew n Sew

Ours are hands on.  I hope the program succeeds long term.

Virginia
Fuck this place.

Rich

This video is a good example of how the details of anything can be presented in a way to give others any impression you'd like to convey. That part of Annandale VA may not be the best (compared with the surrounding areas), and certainly his apartment complex is run down, but overall, I never got anywhere near the impression of the place that this guy is trying to give during my 27 years of doing business here.
Check out this site:
http://www.bestplaces.net/economy/city/virginia/annandale

Then, do a Google street view and have a look around.

It's like watching TV network news, if that's the only place you get your information, you will definitely have a skewed view of the nation and the world.
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

sofadoc

Quote from: Rich on June 03, 2016, 03:50:53 am
It's like watching TV network news, if that's the only place you get your information, you will definitely have a skewed view of the nation and the world.
You're right. After seeing the video a couple weeks ago, I did a little Google research about Annandale. And some of the stats that I found didn't really jive with the image that this guy was trying to convey.

Ever notice when the network news is doing a story about global warming, that they always show a clip of a melting iceberg? Usually right after they show a clip of falling trees in the rain forest.

byhammerandhand

But, it must be true, I read it on the internet.

My definition of the difference between a commentator and a journalist is that when a journalist does a story you can't tell their opinion.   Sometimes, it's just the difference between an adjective or adverb here or there. 

Those irresponsible gorilla killers here in Cincinnati.  The best response to the critics that I read was they don't know what they are talking about and they were not there.  I would add, "If that was your child, what would like them to do?"   Would you live with those consequences?
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison