Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:43:51 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

window glass

Started by lizzieb, May 11, 2016, 07:50:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

lizzieb

I am replacing clear plastic for window glass and want to know what is the best way to do the binding on the edges? 
Thanks.

byhammerandhand

a little more information -- what are you putting it into and how big?
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

MinUph

If your just binding the edge use a binding folder. They work great and are not that expensive.
If you want a fabric border then you would put that on first then bind that.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

brmax

I think the boat and just how some other materials look help me in the question Lizzie, so I could use some more information also.
Because I stay in the heat I will go ahead and chime in as its about water and that's always cool : )

In a basic, covering that sharp edge you could use some 3/4" on the "first" outer edge seam and as an only one.
Some of the newer and higher end pieces the usage of the same material as original is a real touch, but in any case it can get tough just trying to not have a gazillan seams showing on that 1" area of different or really contrasting thread.
Some times a way in which you could cover the left over old window that's not removed from original seam 1" area is to use some wider strips made custom, "this" area mentioned is always a consideration.
I'm always leary of side windows brought in as some shrink over time and can be tough in fitting even before any new fab so a question as does it fit now and when the last install was.
Whatever I know you can fix it up sharp, good luck

Floyd

Mike

a cheap easy way sew the new clear on the inside then use 3/4" binding sewing it on flat covering the raw edge of the vinyl. then you can flip the outside up and cut the old vinyl out cutting close to the canvas edge   light scoring with a utilty blade and then tearing the old out work well