Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:32:13 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

sofa sleeper

Started by lizzieb, April 28, 2016, 09:39:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

lizzieb

I have a sofa sleeper to reupholster - not a hide-a-bed with the mattress, this is one where the back comes down and joins the seat so the couch becomes flat.  The fabric was already off of this sofa and I can't figure out how to do the back - the customer says you can't tack the fabric all the way down because it needs to have enough fabric in the back to have ease so it can fold down.  I will try to put photos up but, would appreciate and help out there. Thanks.

sofadoc

That type of sofa is called a "Sofa Bed". The hinges "click-clack" to let it lay flat, or return to the normal sitting position.

The customer is right. You must leave the outside back panel open from about a couple inches above the back hinge down to the base frame. Just fold the fabric inside and leave it loose.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

lizzieb

Thanks for your response.  If I just tack it with brass nail heads to just above the hinges?  and finish the bottom - how much fabric should I allow?  I was thinking about 4" or so, the sides can be sewn and then just left?  I am confused but I am going to town on Monday and want to look at a few furniture stores.  I appreciate your imput and what I should be calling this - it makes sense.

sofadoc

When the sofa bed is in it's fully upright position, the OB panel should be fairly tight.

You tack it to the base frame. Just leave it open from the base to above the hinge.

Yes, you can use brass nails.

Maybe one of the other furniture guys here can better put it into words.

Unless you're going to a used furniture store, you're probably not going to find a good example.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Darren Henry

I've also heard them called davenports.

'Doc's right
QuoteWhen the sofa bed is in it's fully upright position, the OB panel should be fairly tight.

You tack it to the base frame. Just leave it open from the base to above the hinge.

I do the OB like any other OB with the unit in sofa mode except that I leave the bottom of the edges loose as mentioned. You will have a little bag of material in bed mode---but physics are what physics are.

The RV and camper world commonly use a variation of these. It's like a cross breed with a truck seat. The mechanism is the same but the seat and the back are metal frames like truck seats that bolt to the mechanism. they are then upholstered like truck seats where the seat gets hog ringed underneath and the back/outside back get hog ringed together and attached to the back frame at the bottom of the OB. Without seeing your frame I don't know if that would be an option for you.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

MinUph

Easiest way to figure out where to leave it open is to put the ob on leaving the sides alone. Open the bed and watch where it will need to break. There will also be telltale staple, tack holes on the side rails of the back so you can see how far down the ob was finished.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website