Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 16, 2024, 10:50:59 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

New Project

Started by Virgs Sew n Sew, April 12, 2016, 06:58:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Virgs Sew n Sew

My barber came yesterday with the one of the five chairs from his waiting room.  Plan is to tear apart the first one, get all five cut out, finish the first one.  He'll bring two when he picks up the first.  When those two are done, we will swap out for the remaining two unfinished ones.  That way, his customers will always have a minimum of three seats to sit in.

Back is pretty straightforward.  Both pieces have welting.  Seat is waterfall type, which I did about 60 of for one of the restaurant's in town so that is not a big deal.  Fabric is black with just a hint of texturing in it.   The frames are stainless steel, I think, with wood handles.  Wood is in great condition for the age.

Stainless steel has some spotting on it, I guess you would call it.  Not part of my job, but if it's not too difficult, is there something I can use on the frames to get them sparkling again and get rid of the spotting?

Thanks!

Virginia
Fuck this place.

SteveA

Sounds like a good bit of work -  nice to be busy for sure -

A metal polish like Noxon my help -

SA

kodydog

Car wax will clean it and put a protective coating on it.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Darren Henry

The best metal polish I have ever found is called "Never-dull" . It is a cotton wadding soaked in what ever the active ingredient is. It comes in a blue can the size of an oil filter. I get it in the auto section of Canadian tire with the other car polishes but have seen it at places like NAPA Piston ring etc...I'd have all my brass done and be off to the mess before the other guys finished their cap badge with brasso.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

MinUph

I'm a Never Dull guy also. But I have tried it on Stainless with less than great results. For some reason it just didn't work as well as it does on steel.

Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Virgs Sew n Sew

Quote from: Darren Henry on April 13, 2016, 04:25:47 am
The best metal polish I have ever found is called "Never-dull" . It is a cotton wadding soaked in what ever the active ingredient is. It comes in a blue can the size of an oil filter. I get it in the auto section of Canadian tire with the other car polishes but have seen it at places like NAPA Piston ring etc...I'd have all my brass done and be off to the mess before the other guys finished their cap badge with brasso.

LOL!  I was just kicking myself that I didn't still have a can of Brasso hanging around someplace!  I'll make some calls and see what I can find around here.

Thanks for the input everyone!

Virginia
Fuck this place.

Darren Henry

i don't remember using it on  actual stainless, but I have used it on chrome. Not as OMG as on steel or brass but still impressive. Bear in mind though; I'm in the middle of the Canadian prairies---no experience with "salt air". I also haven't seen it do much with pitting other than cleaning some of the gunk out. I'd like to hear about something that works on that, even if I have to import it.LOL.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mike

Quote from: Darren Henry on April 13, 2016, 04:25:47 am
mothers  neva dull  great struff farren spent many a hours in the fall polishing the running boards on my sled to a mirror shine

Darren Henry

The stuff I get up here is not a Mother's product. Probably the same stuff made in Freeport NY under a different label.

They don't list stainless on the label, but those chairs are more likely chrome.

"

This stuff will take cold blueing off a muzzle loader ( My stupid)   or polish a 105 MM casing from gross to presentation grade in about an hour. And that "protective film" , WORKS !! The trophy casings and cups in the mess got dusted regularly and "touched up" annually.

How long did it last on the aluminum running boards on your sled Mike ?

Virgs Sew n Sew

I'm going to get a tub of that Monday or Tuesday.  All 4 high schools in Grand Island have Senior Prom next Saturday (23rd).  I already had 3 dresses, all with varying types of complexity, and didn't plan on taking in any others.  But, a customer referred the mother to me so I had them come over.  2 skirts to shorten.  I told here that it would probably be Friday evening and if she could handle that, I'd get it done for them.  So, now 4 dresses.  2 of the original 3 are almost done.  It's just that I should get vinyl for this project either Monday or Tuesday and I want to get going for Dax.  I have progressed to where I can pretty much do anything I want to (walk without crutches most of the day) but going up and down the stairs wears me out.  Still don't have my toilet and sink set down here so I make more trips upstairs than I care for.  Also, I'm just slower than pre-break, which I haven't figured out why.  Maybe my brain thinks it's still on sick leave or something.  Dunno.  Hoping that changes as I'm ready to get back full throttle with these projects.  Delighted that I have as much going on as I do.  Also, still have to do my 1040 (have all the attachments completed) and Nebraska's little easy-peasy 1040 to do.  Heading over into IT area right now.  Want to knock out the Fed 1040 and then start prom dressing.  They are nice change and my cash reserve looks pretty deplorable right now so these dresses will perk up my bank balance.  LOL

Virginia 
Fuck this place.