Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 08:25:52 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Curves and wrinkles ?!?!! GRR

Started by Regina NEEDS help, March 30, 2016, 01:25:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Regina NEEDS help

So Ive been re-upholstering vinyl marine seats.  I can sew the perfect curve but when I turn it inside out to fit it on the cushion the curves come out all ripply and it friggin' annoys me! 

I even will try to cut away as much seam allowance as possible to take off the extra fabric that bunches up but still no matter what there is still some wrinkly spots.  .. I try to pull and push as much when it comes to stapling it down but still not looking like the close-to-perfect curve that I originally sewed. 

What are some tricks to get a nice looking curve when you turn vinyl inside out?  Any and all suggestions are welcomed!

Thank you so much!

Darren Henry

QuoteI even will try to cut away as much seam allowance as possible to take off the extra fabric that bunches up

Are you trying to top stitch this seam? That may make a difference. FYI I try to avoid top stitching there for that reason if the project permits.

I'd say take some remnants of the vinyl you're working with and try A) scrimping on the seam allowance of the top plate at the curve ( pulls it up a little tighter) or B) stretch your border as you sew around the curve. I would not be afraid to really reef on it through the curve if the vinyl is giving you that hard a time.

Quotecut away as much seam allowance as possible

Have you tried relief cuts across the salvage instead ? I leave a thin 1/8Th when I do that.

Good luck, keep us posted.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Corjen1

In addition to what the other folks have said, I staple almost the entire length of the curve..

This might help also....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJXewDgvwbc

Rich

Regina, I think photos are needed to give advice on your specific application.

On that video, maybe it's because I've done this for so long, but if I'd never done it before and I watched the video, I think I'd be more intimidated than ever. He makes it look a lot more difficult than it actually is!

Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

Mike

do you have pic of the issue?  heart works wonders with wrinkles. also heat the vinyl then lay a wet damp towel on the area . it will shrink the wrinkles away