Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 10:17:32 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Presidential election year

Started by Rich, March 13, 2016, 05:19:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MinUph

I don't profess to have the answers here. I do see we are facing an unpresidented issue both here and all over the world.  This is not like anything we have seen before and steps do need to be taken that most don't like. What will it take to understand this? These people do things that are just horrible inhumane and there will be no easy defense against them. They are from basically one group or religion if you want to call it that. Untill we know how to deal with them we have to be unwilling to allow more to come unveted. One of my good friends came fro the area andarticulated into an american citizen. Ifeel bad for him now as im sure he sees all this differently than we might. People that come to the USA and wish to live like we do are fine. Its the people that come and expect this country to change to their ways are the problem. So the people that feel like if this happens then i will move to some other country i say see ya. We need to stand up for what we are and stop bowing down to all this crap.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Rich

"I will also say that we are 7 years + into Obama's Presidency terror acts have been minimal."

You could say the same thing about the homeowner who saw no reason to have the termites in his house dealt with since everything looked fine to him from where he sat.

They are here now. Some have come through our borders, others are American sympathizers, all are dangerous to our way of life and liberty and they thrive on our reluctance to limit our freedoms and to encroach on others' rights. Republican candidates have not said they'd want to "round up every person from the Middle East and/or of Muslim Faith", they have said that we need to be much more vigilant about dealing with those who may be playing into anti-American sentiment by advocating actions against America. That, I believe goes on all too often in certain circles right here in America.

The ironic thing is that those who are so vocal about the rights of others and tolerance etc, would be the ones most likely to be executed or imprisoned under this radical ideology. At some point, we need to re-think how we are addressing this threat and the weak approach our leadership has employed in recent years is digging us deeper into future difficulties that we might otherwise imagine.
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

Virgs Sew n Sew

Paul, I have posted several times that future immigrants must be vetted.  BTW, that goes for all immigrants, not just Middle Eastern or Muslim immigrants.  Terrorism knows no religion or skin color.  I am reading more and more about ISIS recruits that are white, American born in the lap of luxury as the saying goes.  We are just as likely now to have an issue with an ISIS recruit who is born and bred Brit, France, Italian, etc. as being from the Middle East.  In fact, that is one of their recruiting mantras, recruiting from native soil, as it is easier to get onto the soil they want to terrorize.  I would hope that a flag would be placed on passports of returning Americans who have spent months in the known ISIS hotbeds.  If you are first time and have been for several days, I wouldn't think that the same level of scrutiny would be required but I'm not an expert.

So, that should take care of new immigrants entering the USA and hopefully the "home-grown" ISIS terrorists.  How we deal with those that have been in the US for years, children born here, etc., I must say I'm not sure what to do.  I just know that rounding everyone up and putting them in internment camps is not the answer.  We learned that after WWII with Japanese-American citizens and it is not a bright spot on our Country's history.  If you ever have a chance, listen to the dude from the original Star Trek Series.  His family was ripped out of their house and put in internment camps for no other reason than being Japanese American living in the US during WWII.  Very sad.

There must be reasonable precautions that can be taken.  I hesitate to say that feedback from US citizens can be used because I know, from living in Grand Island, that there are way too many who are willing to say just round them up and send them back.  Plus, now you have generations married to white Americans and they have had children, in some cases children have had children.  It is the same thing I say to those in Grand Island who still espouse that we should send all the Hispanics and Af-Americans back to "where they came from" ... how do you do that when you are talking generations that have now melted and married into "our culture"  I don't think that is a reasonable option.  I don't believe that most Muslim-Americans cheer when these terrorist acts occur and treating all of them as if they are cut from the same cloth is wrong on many levels.  Just my opinion.

Virginia

SteveA

V.... I always admire your knowledge in these areas.  Where I disagree is the faith you place in Colin Powell.  I liked him to have been a Presidential candidate but was disappointed in him when he endorsed a rookie senator with no experience.   Powell states Bush was given bad information ?   Powell wouldn't know if his neighbor three doors away had a new car.  How could anyone sitting in an office in the Pentagon really know what's happening on the ground thousands of miles away.  It took them 10 years to find Bin Laden - it seems surrounding countries close their eyes to terrorist activities  -
The administration did what it had to do.  I'm one who believed / believes in the Bush Presidency

SA

scottymc

So when do you know who is actually running for president?

Do the political parties have a leader? Over here the leader of the party in government is Prime Minister and if the party does not think he is doing a good job they can vote him out, which is happening a bit to often lately.

Hi Darren, I honestly don't know which is better, compulsory or not. One thing the guy making the doco on Trump said at the end was that for him to be elected it could come down to the weather as most of the people at the rallies were low income or unemployed and did not have transport, so if the weather was bad they'd just stay home.
So I suppose it would make a huge difference if you had to vote by law as politicians have to target everyone to win votes, not just the ones that can be bothered to get off there bum.   

scottymc

Sorry , I have another question, I was listening to the news the other day and they said over 40,000 people signed a petition to be allowed to take a handgun into republican rallies. Is this a right to bear arms thing or a right to have a shot a Trump? :-))

Virgs Sew n Sew

The gentleman who started the petition did it as a kind of humor/dig at Republicans for the very liberal interpretation of the second amendment.  Like schools, sporting events, churches and more according to the NRA should have open carry.  I've been to Nebraska Football games and I have no desire to sit beside some drunk fan who's carrying a semi-automatic and gets po'd because the Huskers got creamed by some cup cake team.  Anyway, the dude decided that if the NRA and some other Republicans want all this open carry, then you should be able to open carry at the convention. 

Last I checked, the petition was just shy of 50K signers.  Saw on the yahoo news feed this morning that the Sec. Service said that open carry would not be permitted at the convention.

Virginia

Rich

Quote from: Virgs Sew n Sew on March 29, 2016, 06:37:10 pm
The gentleman who started the petition did it as a kind of humor/dig at Republicans for the very liberal interpretation of the second amendment.  Like schools, sporting events, churches and more according to the NRA should have open carry.  I've been to Nebraska Football games and I have no desire to sit beside some drunk fan who's carrying a semi-automatic and gets po'd because the Huskers got creamed by some cup cake team.  Anyway, the dude decided that if the NRA and some other Republicans want all this open carry, then you should be able to open carry at the convention. 

Last I checked, the petition was just shy of 50K signers.  Saw on the yahoo news feed this morning that the Sec. Service said that open carry would not be permitted at the convention.

Virginia

Has that (the drunken fan shooting up the arena) actually happened?
One thing I think is probably true, even the mentally ill would prefer not to open fire at an open carry venue. Why take the chance of getting shot back?
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

Virgs Sew n Sew

No, weapons are not allowed at our football games.  Is it Texas that just changed their legislation regarding that?  Some state did and I think it is just a question of when.  Alcohol loosens inhibitions and makes some people think that they are invincible.

Perhaps it is just people talking chit but especially after the theater shooting in Colorado, I read way too many comments from "John Wayne" types who were convinced that if only they had been in that dark theater, they would have shot that dirty rotten SOB before he had taken any lives at all.  I wondered how their accuracy was going to be that great when he waited to start firing until the movie got to a scene with a tremendous amount of noise (if I'm remembering correctly).   Regardless of that, it was dimly lit and you are sure you are hitting the gunman and not another Good Samaritan.  Much more confidence than I would have in my skill and when I weapon qualified with the M-16, I hit 78 out of 80.

Virginia

sofadoc

Quote from: scottymc on March 27, 2016, 12:03:37 pm
So when do you know who is actually running for president?

Do the political parties have a leader?
Both parties hold their conventions this July, at which time they will officially nominate their candidates to run for President. This is normally when bitter rivals suddenly become BFF's, and join forces as running mates for Pres/vice-pres. Although I don't know if that will happen this time.

Each party has a national chairman. Usually elected by vote of the individual state chairmen during winter meetings.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban