Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 14, 2024, 12:28:45 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

wedding gift - upholstery project

Started by bgm, February 16, 2016, 05:53:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bgm

February 16, 2016, 05:53:29 am Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 05:55:05 am by bgm
Hi All,

I'm completely new to upholstery, yet I managed to pick myself a project that involving some serious skills and extensive knowledge - none of them I currently have. So here I am asking for advise.

I am marrying love of my life in 2017 and decided to give her a very special wedding present, I reupholster/refurbish her late grandmother's old armchair.

So I have just over a year to make something very special for her, with my hands (rather than going to a professional upholsterer and paying for to have it done). I managed to remove the old fabric and stripped the chair until its frame and came across a bunch of problems and questions.

First of all, this chair had lots of staple and tacks which left behind holes (some of them broken, I was unable to completely remove them). Also, the frame is very wobbly, doesn't feel very strong and safe to sit on.

I had put together a process flow, basically an order I thought should be followed for the chair re-built. Now as I mentioned I have no knowledge, just a bit of common sense, some help from YouTube videos and Google search.

Would you guys help me by glazing through my process flow if I'm right and if I make any sense?

If you would like to see the chair itself, I placed a link where you can see the photos of the chair with all the problems.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/o5ezfnu5vqvvfnr/AACDsOPHQE7UL3R2RBO8ypFna?dl=0

1. Frame to stripped off paint (using wood stripper or heat gun)
2. Sand down the less damaged surfaces with detail sander until surface is smooth
3. Saw out the badly damaged parts and replace with new wood parts (cherry or oak pieces)
4. Attach additional support parts for seat area (for the horizontal wood bits between the legs)
5. Fill staple holes, tack holes and all the cracks and join gaps with food filler
6. Sand down the whole chair
7. Paint for desired colour
8. Re-upholster the chair.

I made the re-upholstering point (Nr. 8.) sounding like it's super easy. I know it's not, but I feel it's a loooong way to go, I will be asking questions before I get to this stage.

I know it's an insane project, but I really would like to do this for her, I think it would be a great and very memorable present

Please let me know what you guys think.

Thanks for your time.

Kind Regards,

Ben

byhammerandhand

February 16, 2016, 06:35:57 am #1 Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 06:39:06 am by byhammerandhand
First, welcome to the forum.   There's a lot of good people here.

There's a lot of work there, and much to learn.

I can recommend a few resources for your guidance and research.

Regluing chair joints (those staples across the joints really have no strength)
http://www.popularwoodworking.com/techniques/finishing/regluing_doweled_chairs

General repairs and restoration of wood frame
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1580110061?keywords=furniture%20repair&qid=1455631948&ref_=sr_1_2&s=books&sr=1-2

Advice on horse hair padding from our buddy, Kim (Buck) Buckminster
http://www.buckminsterupholstery.com/video-gallery.html

General upholstery processes, dated but still useful
http://www.amazon.com/Upholstery-Techniques-Illustrated-W-Gheen/dp/0070236232

Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

brmax

Its a pretty cool idea,  I really would be more interested in the role it might play in meanings at any part of a mentioned ceremony, you ask!

FYI, I live around 4 women and helped raise 3 along with other nieces to, I can point out things about your chair now and when beautifully finished what ?might interest them, and can promise each would be different what they see or "care to hear about" just a kind word of warning!

Moving on, In my mind  I am a builder or I can take anything apart, then the money part is a bit slower, with assessing the proper methods which I usually find always interesting.

I have had a job in the far far past stripping furniture of finish with some other things after the pros worked their magic and set in my area. So I can say without a doubt anything is fixable, repairable and so on. If I busted my butt I could be granted the opportunity to watch the actual repairs needed again only if my other worked was done.

A point I want to make is man you picked one, the quality of furniture restoration this piece needs only you will know, " so please" don't be bummed when it "all" is not seen.

These restorations of repair, only should be mentioned at different great stages, because its overwhelming with all the other preparations in your future. These miniature tough steps can be remembrance to "you" the many things that need thought, integrity, precision and kind patience.

This chair needs proper wood species finely crafted at past repair areas, corner joints most likely my approach being taken apart.
These would have surfaces squarely sanded to fit opposing part, and following up with proper re-doweling used or as one joint I seen possible tenon thorough repair or inspection.

Welcome to the forum, and you can count on some great help.
Good day
Floyd

SteveA

This is beyond a first time project.  Welcome to the forum - you have a genuine 19th century French Fauteuil - don't ask me how to pronounce that/
Woodworking, upl, springs, repairs, insect damage, loose joints , cosmetic abrasions, etc.
Suggest find an craftsman in your area and ask him if you can pay per day to work on your chair in their shop under their guidance.  Don't do this on your own for a first project.  Your eagerness is refreshing and your marriage meter is through the roof but this is beyond a first time project.  Salute to Grandmother for knowing how to hold on to Family treasures.   

SA 

Darren Henry

Welcome to the board Ben. Always nice to have a fresh perspective. I commend your wanting to do this for your fiance with your own hands, any shmuck can stroke a cheque. Your flow chart is a very accurate plan of attack and the fact that you had the foresight to take pictures as you disassembled the piece leads me to believe that you are not on a whim here and that you have some background in similar restorations or at least know what the pointy end of a screw driver is for LOL.

That said; As you acknowledged, you have  jumped into the deep end on this. Don't be shy to ask for help. Keith (byhammerand hand) is a master at wood repairs/refinishing like this. [Not to take away from any of the other fine crafts(wo)men here---he just gets the most passionate LOL]. Depending on your experience and comfort level, I can see merit in Steve's suggestion to swap some sweat hours or a few quid for some tutoring.

Let's get started:
serial 1: I am very fond of "circa 1850" stripper. Some folks will use fine/very fine steel wool to clean out the grooves etc...but any stray stands left behind can rust and stain when the stain is applied. I prefer to use scotch bright pads and or burlap (sometimes called hessian) to "wash" those areas.

serial 2: Is redundant. Wait until serial 6 and sand the entire chair at once. From the pics I would guess that some of the carving etc...will need to be smoothed out and recut/detail sanded/what ever. Might as well wait until you can do it all in one continuous flow.

Let us know how that goes. In the words of the immortal Red Green " We're pullin' for 'ya, we're all in this together."
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

gene

February 16, 2016, 04:41:33 pm #5 Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 04:42:58 pm by gene
Did you take a lot of pictures of the chair before you started taking things apart?

There are many youtube videos that can be of help for each part of the process that you listed. For example, there are videos that show folks pulling staples and tacks and what tools they use. I would take out every tack and staple. It is possible with a $15 staple/tack puller. Use a wood filler to fill in any big sized holes.

An idea: While working on the wood, call around or visit any near by upholsterers. You may find one that would be willing to answer some of your questions. Be sure to take in all the pictures you took before you started on the chair. Also be sure to take him or her a Starbucks coffee. If you are going to retie springs, there are youtube videos showing how to do that, and a local upholsterer might be interested in letting you watch him or her retie springs on one of their projects. Also, if you get to something that you feel you can't do, you may be able to pay a few bucks to have an upholsterer do it.

The good news: Marriage is not nearly as difficult as reupholstering an old arm chair.

Best wishes,

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

kodydog

When I first read your post I was thinking what Steve said. I admire your enthusiasm and am sure you will give this project your best effort but you need to understand no matter how hard you try it will not come out looking like a professional upholsterers with many years experience.

Like Steve said this will not be an easy job for a beginner. Most of the folks on the forum started in a family business. Their parents guided them every step of the way. Most of us pulled staples for two or three years before we ever started the process of applying fabric.

I started in a factory. They started me off slowly, teaching me quality first and speed later. For the first year I did outsides only . Outsides are the easy part of most pieces of furniture and some upholsterers never go any further.  As the years went by I graduated to insides and tackled harder and harder pieces.

I'm not trying to discourage you and I'm not trying to sound like a know it all. I just want to make sure you know what your getting into. Going forward I'll give you as much help as I possibly can.

Having said that let me make one more suggestion. You didn't say if this was going to be a surprise or if your involving your fiancee in the project. After being married over 30 years I can tell you my wife would be very disappointed if I did not include her in the decorating decisions (fabric). Just something to think about.

That's all for now, gotta get to work.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

baileyuph

What is your background educationally and workwise - any patterning in upholstery, sewing, and how much knowledge do you have in the equipment  - machines and special hand tools, special materials required - so much involved.  Judgement is involved in everything and it breeds from experience/understanding/special skills/ and natural attributes

Level with the love of life, find out if she will be happy with a delayed, less than the standard for a gift?

Conceptualizing is not demonstrating performance.

Look at the odds before you jump. 

Blunt, why not?  I wouldn't be able to totally disassemble an engine in a modern car and

go through the steps of machining, replacing, and calibrating and handily handle the task of understanding all the sensors, their function, much less testing (the equipment and understanding how to test can be over whelming task.  There are upholsters with years of experience who shy away from much of any upholstery involving air bags, their sensors, lastly and probably more important the liability should something fail.  But, with ambition, experience, large investments in equipment, and the drive there are many who succeed.  So, this isn't a total discourage, but help in how to start.

Good luck,

Get the equipment and practice, practice, and hopefully the dream can be accomplished in a few years.  There are career people in this business who are limited to the level of
technical stuff they get into, me included.  We never stop learning because technology marches on.

Make the girl happy is the reality in your objective.

Doyle

kodydog

Quote from: DB on February 17, 2016, 07:01:32 am

Make the girl happy is the reality in your objective.

Doyle

Exactly. She will think it very special that you took the time to go through the extensive process to get this chair restored. To find a good refinisher who will repair and refinish this chair the way it deserves. To pick just the right fabric to match the chair, maybe a nice tapestry or even leather with brass nails would look awesome. Then to find an upholster, one that comes highly recommended by friends or family. Who specializes in antiques and will add to the value of this family heirloom.

This will be a very special gift that both of you will enjoy for the rest of your lives. She will have tears of joy if you do this right. And 30 years from now after you've been through the whole thick and thin thing you both will look at this chair as a cherished memory.

If you still want to get into the upholstery trade or just want to do it as a hobby I say welcome. But lets start with something small, like dining seats.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

bgm

Wow, thank you all for your comments! Your support and opinions are hugely appreciated, I'm overwhelmed on the volume of responses, I will try to answer you all.

Keith:
thanks for the links, they are very useful. I did a lot of research on youtube and unfortunately there is a lot of useless crap can be found too, the methods cannot always be taken granted. I'm definitely ordering the books too.

Floyd:
I haven't thought about involving the chair in the ceremony, we are not at this stage yet :) there is a lot of talking and ideas, but nothing final, apart from an aim to have the wedding sometime in the summer 2017.

Steve:
I realised after stripping the chair that I may have "made a mistake" jumping into a project like this, but nr1. there is no going back, nr2. I enjoy challenges, even if they seem to be unachievable and feels depressing in the beginning. The research is still on to find a local upholsterer who knows a bit about antiques, not to have the job done by her/him, but to learn. After finding a few upholserer who suggested to throw it away and buy a new chair from the money I'm about to spend on tools, material and more importantly time, still haven't given up to find one who interested in passing some knowledge. So I have been looking for courses, but so far I only found modern upholstery courses with literally no interest in antique furniture restoration. Well, I have no intention of using IKEA techniques to restore the chair. I was suggested not to bother with the traditional way, but just use foam (no strings) and rather than getting upholsterer tools, just buy a hot glue gun... I'm sorry, but no way. I am more than happy to spend my money and time in a workshop and learn the craftmanship to do it properly.

Darren:
No restoration background I'm afraid. Watched youtube videos, searched on the internet and picked up a few books about upholstery.  I am looking into learning from a professional rather than from my mistakes :) I will be asking you guys questions and will be posting regularly, to show the progress, if any :)

Gene:
I have a photo with our cat sitting on the chair prior to stripping, does it count? :) Apart from that, I have a few more photos of the half naked chair, just to help me remember how to put it together. My collection of tools are growing, various staple and tack removers, hammers and mallet, curvy needles, upholsterer needles, etc. Only the skills are missing :) I am hunting for local craftmen, unfortunately I am very close to London, it means everything needs to be done by tomorrow and it's not about restoration but making it look like new. Still seaching.

Kodydog:
I realised that the task I'm trying co complete is something that would make proud even a professional with several years of experience, so I probably came across a bit naive. The task itself both fascinating and scary. Not because it has to be perfect and has to look like it was done my a professional. It's impossible, because I don't have the skills and knowledge. Hands on heart, I will do my best to learn the upholsterer/restorer profession to a level I can deliver something that will make me proud and will last for decades.  After calculating my available spare time and halving it, still have 1.400 hours to make it happen :) I can't go back now, you saw the state of the chair :) the practice starting tonight, when I attempt to reupholster the dining chairs. I haven't thought of becoming an upholsterer, I'm 40, but still don't know what I want to be. It's a project came up out of the blue and I jumped on it. Jumped too high :)
It's not a secret project and the "involvement" is already there :) I was told that the wood shouldn't be white, silver or gold. The preferences are dark brown or light brown and as it's still early days, no upholstery fabric design mentioned yet, but watch this space :)

Doyle:
I was born in Hungary, but living and working in the UK for the last 12 years. About education, I studied zoology but never dinished uni. after completing some manager courses and I spent the last two decades managing warehouses; stock control, people management, the whole 9 yards. I can do basic DIY but nothing extraordinary. Oh, and I practiced martial arts for 17 years. Really nothing that gives me a right to retouch an antique piece :) I bought some tools, but rather than keep buying new toys, I will find an upholsterer and learn from him, including learning what tools I really need. And I'm reupholstering the dining chairs on the weekend :) baby steps :)

Ben

baileyuph

Ben,
Seems there is potential in your involvement.  Being in the UK is likely an asset because it is my understanding there is involvement still in older - traditional restoration. 

I love their publications on this subject, have bought a few by their authors.  Their terminology in this type of activity is a learning process.

The learning process has already started and hopefully will never end.

Doyle