Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 04:03:20 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Worksharp

Started by byhammerandhand, February 11, 2016, 04:58:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

byhammerandhand

Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

SteveA

I'd buy the number one seller before I'd buy that tool sharpener   ::)
SA

kodydog

You can't link to the #1 seller with out watching the video. lol, lol, lol.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

byhammerandhand

I will occasionally watch "Just for Laughs" a TV show / Youtube video program from Quebec.   They tend to be a bit more risque update to Allen Funt's "Candid Camera" that I enjoyed as a kid.  You will sometimes find that #1 seller there.    I was tempted to take it to Sunday School some weeks.  Gene knows why.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

gene

Thanks sofaD for your response on my other post about why I couldn't reply to this topic.

QuoteGene knows why.
And I'll never tell.

QuoteI'd buy the number one seller before I'd buy that tool sharpener

Steve, there's a few posts about the WorkSharp. I bought it because of what folks said about it on this forum. I absolutely love it.

It seems all male primates enjoy a good fart joke. It must be something in our jeans. (Malapropism intended.)

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Darren Henry

QuoteI will occasionally watch "Just for Laughs"

I much preferred Candid Camera because I think some of the skits on Just for laughs are stupid or over the line. they do have some good stuff though.

Did you see the "shrinking door" gag? They brought in carpenters to remodel an office and put in a door in the new wall. He measures for his top header and goes into the other room where they made him set up his saws etc... and they slide the wall over 3-4". When he comes back his board is way too long, so he scratches his head and re-measures and goes back to his saw. You guessed it. They slid the wall back. After about 4 "wrong cuts" they let the guy in on the joke.

My favorite was the "blind guy" who lost his friend. The sidewalk is two rows of 4X4' concrete slabs. One of these slabs is a man hole, which is open and flooded right to the top. They floated a straw hat in the manhole and had this older "blind guy",with an identical hat, standing there trying to fiend the friend he had been walking with. If he didn't get enough reaction from passers by he would start walking toward the flooded manhole. The best reaction was the young guy who took one look and dove in head first to rescue the "other guy".

Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

SteveA

" Steve, there's a few posts about the WorkSharp. I bought it because of what folks said about it on this forum. I absolutely love it."

Gene I'm sure it works well.  I'm using the Norton 100 grit white friable wheels  - 1750 RPM - then Arkansas flat oil stones  - 2 different grits  - final polish on the buffer wheel 3500 RPM  with the green rouge .  There is no better method although some will swear by the diamond stones -  This system has served me well for many years.  No belts to change - no size limitations - I can run a lawn mower blade, turning tool bowl gouge - , scissor, chisel, pocket knife anything -

SA

Darren Henry

I've watched Steve Meadows of Meadows sharpening in Kenora do some amazing things on a less sophisticated version of the belt sharpener, but don't understand how he can maintain uniform angle on a belt that is not supported. I always did a Steve A does except that I had a 180 or 200 grit and often skipped the oil stone step.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

gene

For those using the Work Sharp in the link Keith posted at the top of this topic, I recently bought new abrasive belts. I got a pack of 6 medium and a pack of 6 course. The $12.00 shipping stinks, but I could only find packages containing fine, medium, and course belts all together at other places. Work Sharp seems to be the only one who sells packs of one type of belt only.

Anyway, in looking into buying these I read on a forum somewhere that when you go to sharpen scissors or knifes that are dull, run them across a course belt first and then run them through the medium belt. This will help your medium belts to last much longer. I haven't tried it but it certainly makes sense.

Does anyone make their own sanding belts for the Work Sharp or anything else?

Gene

Mojo

gene

September 05, 2016, 04:16:05 am #10 Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 04:17:12 am by gene
Thanks for the post, Paul. And yes, that is what I tried to explain in my post. I can get that same combo pack of 6: 2 fine, 2 medium, and 2 course, for that same price on Amazon and at two stores on my way to work.

I do not want the fine belts. I don't use them. The only place I can find all of the same kind of belts is at the Work Sharp web site.

However, you got thinking.

If I buy the combo 6 pack, I'm only going to use the 2 medium and 2 course belts. That's $10.00 / 4 = $2.50 each.

I bought 6 medium and 6 course for $32.00 ($10.00 for each set of 6 and $12.00 shipping). That's $32.00 / 12 = $2.67 each.

If my math is correct, I would save money buying the combo pack and throwing away the two fine belts.

Let the buyer beware!

Gene

Mojo

Gene:

I have done that many times with other items. Kinda crazy when you think of buying a variety pack of something and throwing away
some of it away but sometimes it ends up cheaper that way.

Just thought I would post that e-bay thing for you.

Chris

sofadoc

A lot of stuff is priced that way today.

When the batteries on my cordless tools are worn out, it's always cheaper to buy a whole new rig complete with the tool(s), charger, and new battery(s) than it is to just buy a replacement battery.

At most fast food restaurants, it cost more to buy a burger and fries with NO drink than it does to buy the complete meal deal WITH drink.

Replacement cartridges for inkjet printers often cost nearly as much as just buying a whole new printer that comes with new cartridges.

"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

MinUph

And to take this back even further it has always been cheaper to buy salad dressing with the cruet than to buy the three packets without the cruet.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

byhammerandhand

Just a quick check -- both Woodcraft and Rockler carry the single grit sets. 

Rockler appears not to stock in store, but I've had them special order stuff for me and ship to store free.   Or they have a promo where orders of $35 or more ship free.
http://www.rockler.com/220-grit-sanding-belts-for-work-sharp-wskts-6-pack

Woodcraft may or may not carry in the store, but will ship for $3.25.  I bumped quanity up to 3 packs and still the same price.
http://www.woodcraft.com/product/154355/work-sharp-knife-tool-sharpener-p220-belt-kit-6pcs.aspx

Cabela's (not to far away) has free ship to store
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Work-Sharp-Replacement-Belts/1410019.uts?productVariantId=3309567&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=03562175&rid=20&gclid=CMS34PjO-c4CFQoLaQodYtoHAA&gclsrc=aw.ds

Northern  Tool, Free shipping
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200593741_200593741

Or an alternate supplier: (free shipping)
https://www.amazon.com/Medium-Knife-Sharpener-Sanding-Belts/dp/B01GOOXM1O/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1473126501&sr=8-10&keywords=work+sharp+belts

Keith