Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 08:36:49 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Learning the hard way- SHARPIE NIGHTMARE

Started by Regina NEEDS help, February 11, 2016, 02:18:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Regina NEEDS help

Soooooo. Yeah of course after I read all the old posts about marking tools, I learn that sharpies on vinyl is not the best idea. Swell. Grrrr

Well some the of sharpie I used for patterning had rubbing off onto the good side of the vinyl and I was wondering if anyone has any magical solution for removing sharpie marker off vinyl. 

Lesson learned find a new marking tool for vinyl.

I'll take any suggestions for marking tools too. Thank you all!
Xo
REGINA.

gene

Try a dry erase marker. I'd take a scrap piece of vinyl and put sharpie marks on it and then you can see how easily the dry erase marker takes off the marks.

Dry erase is great for when you get sharpie marks on a counter top or wall. It will take the sharpie marks off vinyl but I don't know if it will cause damage or other marks to the vinyl or just smear the sharpie marks and make it look worse. It depends on the type of vinyl.

I use pencil on the back side of vinyl if it has a fabric backing or chalk on the face side.

Wipe on, wipe off.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Darren Henry

If you catch it quick enough you can sometimes get it off with spray silicone or hairspray.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Virgs Sew n Sew

I used toothpaste one time with pretty good success, also Dawn dish washing liquid works great as does Scrubbing Bubbles bathroom cleaner.  I had one that was particularly nasty and used all three of the above suggestions in rotations.  It took maybe 6 complete cycles to lift it to the point that there was a slight shadow but only if you knew where to look.

Yes, Sharpie's can certainly be a nightmare.  I think most, or all, of us have had a Sharpie nightmare at one time or another!

Virginia

Rich

Alcohol is the only thing I know of to work on ink. The problem with ink is that it will begin to bleed into the vinyl on contact. The longer it sits there, there harder it is to remove. I've even seen marker ink come through from behind when it was used to mark the foam filling.
Wishing you well, but it may be a replacement of the vinyl that is ultimately needed.
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

SteveA

Not an easy solution but lacquer thinner used lightly will work  - test first.  Experience with vinyl and leather repair products from Mohawk are a life saver if the thinner leaves the surface dull or needing color.  Check out the Mohawk web site for more information
SA

kodydog

It sounds like the marks are just lightly on the fabric created when you folded the fabric in half. Like Steve Iv'e always used Lacquer thinner. Surprised to learn sharpie ink is alcohol based.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Mike

I learnt not to use a sharpie when doing uphoilstery along time ago. when patterning canvas cover on a boat when marking the edhe of a pattern somtime where the pattern is cut close then marking the seam line ive marked the fiberglass. like Darren said get it quck even just my finger will brun it off if im in time or lacquer or acetome will work , ve used it lightly on vinyl too. but ya ive been there I marked all the foam for pattern then t bledd through the vinyl/