Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 09:59:30 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Method for sewing curves. all opinions welcomed! =D

Started by Regina NEEDS help, February 11, 2016, 06:50:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Regina NEEDS help

Hey guys! A new project and new question for you you experts! =)

I will attach pics in a link.  I am working on reupholstering a piece for a boat that has curved parts to it.  I was wondering when you sew your curved pieces together do you start sewing from the center and work your way out, turn the piece around and continue from the center and finish the curve or do you sew it starting from one end to the other?  Was asking this bc, I started one panel by sewing from the center out bc I was scared of sewing one end to the other in fear of it not matching up in the end? I donno. hah. so how to you tackle curves? I use a lot and I mean a lot of staples to hold the pieces together too.

Thanks a bunch!
xo
Regina

https://www.flickr.com/photos/139730956@N05/shares/3E9Ny6

Tejas

February 11, 2016, 10:59:45 am #1 Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 03:52:07 pm by Tejas
Not an expert, just DIY. However, to ensure matching fabric pieces on long runs, I layout the project and make either matching fabric to fabric marks or matching small inset cuts using a tool for that purpose called a pattern making notcher. The inset cuts are similar to the little matching triangle notches in dress making, just narrow and shallow.

The worst case I learned from was sewing a 40' finished zipper into a jib cover. The ends of the two sides of the zipper weren't close even though I used seam tape. Stapling, which I also use, was not possible. I unpicked the stitches, reapplied the zipper sides to the fabric with seam tape, checked that the starts and ends were correct, than made matching marks on each side of the zipper to the fabric, and sewed slowly ensuring that the marks on the zipper tape matched the corresponding marks on the fabric.

Update: I should have mentioned that in other situations, I've sewn from the center to the sides to avoid creep.
Dave

Juki 1508; Bernina 217 with CAM Reader

gene

I start from the middle and sew one way, then flip it over and sew from the middle the other way.

I also put in a lot of notches on both pieces so I can line up the notches as I sew so I can be sure that I am sewing everything even without any panel stretching more than the other and so one side does not get stretched different than the other.

I recall seeing some videos on youtube about sewing vinyl boat cushions. You can also check out sailrite.com and their videos.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

brmax

I love Staples, and hate taking them out but their my best help. I was searching around for some cool fabric/vinyl notch pliers here but haven't picked any up yet.
If I can turn material on the table instead of through machine I will start where it benefits that process also. Them 3, 4, 5", circles or ovals are a pain especially working with screen and its fabric edge covering. This week the same circles with seam allowance on inside, got last one of four covers waiting on me now.
Some others I could use and appreciate the tip n here what say about a shorter stitch length on some curves, uhm not sure on vinyl and for sure if its not backed.
good day
Floyd

Tejas

In addition to staples, I should have mentioned:

•   HDX 3/4 in. Mini Spring Clamps, I aways have 15 or so clamped on the thread stand for quick access (about 40 cents each from Home Depot)

•   Binder clips from an office supply store, such as 3/4" wide, 3/8" capacity
Dave

Juki 1508; Bernina 217 with CAM Reader

brmax

Tejas,  Super tip! those hdx clamps would be great, have some small ponys that I use on tubing but bit big for just materials, so I plan to pick up a handful of these you mention. Thanks
Floyd

Mike

I don't sew center out a lot but I do  have enough match marks.