Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 10:41:29 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

CHANGING CLUTCH TO SERVO

Started by Regina NEEDS help, January 16, 2016, 10:09:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Regina NEEDS help

I have a juke LU 562 with a clutch motor.

Was thinking of changing to a servo motor. 

Has anyone changed motors on their machines?  Is there anything I should know before switching over? Will it effect my sewing machine (negatively) if i change over to a servo motor?

sofadoc

Easy as pie. Won't cause anything negative. The mounting bolts should all be the same. You might have to find a shorter belt.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

brmax

Hi there, I think everybody likes the change very much when they do. I'm confident saying this about the experienced ones I listen to.
For one they are quiet, I don't know how much energy they save but enough!
There are some different makes and models that should be looked at and considered in my opinion.
I would consider someone to remove the old clutch motor as they are heavy and awkward, but the servo is a few pounds and easily workable.
Some have an optional pulley size as normally a 90mm with smaller options like 50mm and my choice. This smaller one allows me control better at my slower sew speed plain and simple.
The ability to have a v-belt that is another size will be needed most likely, white ones or ace hardware carries some to try and return easy enough I found.
Some have options on a positioner they call it, this might be considered but I don't know.
Hope this is a start in your quest, and asking I agree is like photos worth a lot so have a good day.

Tejas

January 16, 2016, 11:53:35 am #3 Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 11:59:05 am by Tejas
As has been said, changing from a clutch-motor to a servo-motor is easy and will likely require a different size belt.

I've had experience with two motors of each of two brands, Consew servo-motors that were not variable speed and that I do not recommend and Family FESM-550S variable speed servo-motors that I do highly recommend.

Both brands allow setting the top speed. Setting the Consew was tedious and a hassle with flashing numbers. Setting the FESM-5550S is via a dial. With the FESM-550S I can single-cycle the needle. With the Consew, I cannot reliably single-cycle the needle.
Dave

Juki 1508; Bernina 217 with CAM Reader

gene

January 16, 2016, 01:02:42 pm #4 Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 01:03:16 pm by gene
I also have a Juki LU 562, which by the way, has a smaller bobbin than the Juki LU 563.

I looked into getting a servo motor all the way to how it would be installed, and it looks like it would be rather easy. I haven't bought a servo yet simply because I haven't gotten around to it. I've gotten very good at varying the speed on my clutch motor.

I have a neighborhood hardware store that has a very large collection of drive belts and that's where I'll get a belt when the time comes.

I would suggest buying a servo motor from someone who sells and services industrial sewing machines. There are servo motors that do not have the 'pick up' needed for industrial machines. Do a search on this forum if you are looking for such sellers.

Best of luck,

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Tejas

Quote from: gene on January 16, 2016, 01:02:42 pm
I would suggest buying a servo motor from someone who sells and services industrial sewing machines.

As for where to buy, I purchased the FESM-5550S servo-motors from Gregg at keysew.com, a frequent contributor to this forum.
Dave

Juki 1508; Bernina 217 with CAM Reader

Regina NEEDS help

thank you all! Much to think about.  Was considering changing to a servo to have more control over speed.  I have practiced long and hard with my clutch motor and just can't get the hang of starting off slow.. its absolutely driving me nuts.  In the mean time today, I picked up a smaller pulley to see if that at all helps with controlling the speed.

sofadoc

Quote from: Tejas on January 16, 2016, 01:30:34 pm
Gregg at keysew.com, a frequent contributor to this forum.
I wish he still were. He answered a lot of sewing machine questions. But he hasn't posted here in 3 years.

I bought 2 servos from Gregg. If you tell him your model #, he will recommend the right servo for your price range.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mojo

I have done the change out several times. It is no biggie. I did have to change the belt out once on one.

I cut my stitching teeth on a servo so am very partial to them. You will find some of our older masters grew up on clutch motors and are partial to them. The first machine I ever sat down at I was 5 yrs old. It was my Mom's Kenmore and it had a servo type motor. My first industrial machine had a servo and I got so used to it that when I did sew on a clutch machine I nearly ran my hand under the foot. Try as I may I never found the art of controlling a clutch motor. I also hated the sound of the motor running all the time.

Servo's are awesome additions to any shop.

Chris

Darren Henry

Quotesome of our older masters grew up on clutch motors and are partial to them

Hey, I resemble that remark Jack!! LOL

I've never used a servo, but have heard many positive reports on them. Personally I can't justify the expense, but I've been using a 226 Consew with reverse for the last 5+years and can count the number of times I've used the reverse (other than starting stopping) with out taking my other sock off so call me old school.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!