Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 12:43:37 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

CLUTCH MOTOR- HELP

Started by Regina NEEDS help, January 16, 2016, 09:57:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Regina NEEDS help

I recently purchased a used juke lu 562 with a clutch motor.  I am new to sewing on an industrial sewing machine.

Is there any tips to help control the speed on this machine? 

People keep telling me that i will "get used to it."  And after much practice and creating small projects like box cushions, I still feel like controlling the speed is very very difficult.  Once I get it started I am able to slow the speed down, but starting off really slow is difficult and I was wondering if there is anything I can do/alter/fix to make the speed more manageable for a newbie such as myself. 

PLEASE HELP ME!

-Regina

sofadoc

You could loosen the belt until it almost slips until you get used to the start-up speed.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

brmax

Sometimes the motors have an arm of sorts on them, this has a linkage or chain that connects to the foot pedal. Its possible to move the linkage to another "farther" away left or right slot/hole thus giving more handle to the operation, like using a longer handle shovel or ice scraper, Its easier but also slower.
good luck

gene

I wonder if folks who have a heavy foot while driving also tend to have a heavy foot while sewing?

I've gotten very used to the clutch motor on both of my machines. I can sew extremely slow or full blast.

Setting the linkage to best work with my foot seemed to help a lot.

I wonder if taking the clutch motor apart and cleaning the clutch pad parts would be of help. Maybe check with a technician on this?

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Regina NEEDS help

Thank you all so much. I will certainly try some of your suggestions.
I basically have a hard time starting off slowly.. it seems to go 0-100 no matter how gently i press the petal =(.
Its extremely sensitive.

So frustrating because it is the only thing holding me back from making projects without screwing them up!

I have read about possibly changing the pulley to a smaller one.. has anyone had any success with this?

Tejas

Quote from: Regina NEEDS help on January 16, 2016, 01:15:44 pm
I have read about possibly changing the pulley to a smaller one.. has anyone had any success with this?

I was as you were new to industrial sewing machines when I purchased a Singer 111W155 with a clutch motor. Professional sewers apparently get along quite well with a clutch-motor. Being a novice, then and now, I was and am unable to control the speed with a clutch motor. Not only were projects more difficult than necessary, I feared for my fingers.

I tried a smaller pulley, and it helped, but not enough.

I now have servo-motors on both of my industrial machines.
Dave

Juki 1508; Bernina 217 with CAM Reader

Regina NEEDS help

Hahaha Tejas  I too fear for my fingers! Well I am in the middle of switching over to a smaller pulley! fingers crossed that it makes a difference..

I can work with the clutch once i get it going but keeping it at a slow speed or starting off at a slow speed is nearly impossible.. It's preventing me from processing.! grr.. If all else fails then I will have to buy a servo motor.  And i have no idea where to start with that.

Darren Henry

This is a very common thread. The smaller pulley will help, and Floyd is right about adjusting the clutch linkage. There is also an adjustment where the rod form the clutch attaches to the rod from the treadle. Your ankle should be comfortable when the treadle is " in neutral".

The most common problem I've found with people having trouble controlling their machines is poor body positioning .The analogy I always use is that you wouldn't drive your car with the seat all the way back and your whole foot on the accelerator. Adjust your seat to where your thigh is parallel with your foot resting on the treadle. Place your foot on the treadle with your ankle directly above the pivot point of the treadle. You should be able to change from brake to neutral to sewing by simply rocking your foot. Now move your chair to where your lower leg is straight up and down. If you have a chance to use  a true treadle machine you will find that "sweet spot" where a simple rock of the foot runs the machine. This is exactly where your foot wants to be on a motorized machine as well.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Regina NEEDS help

So Update,

I changed the pulley to a smaller one and this has helped greatly.  Big enough of a change and with my husbands help he made some other modifications on the machine such as adjusting the petal and now i feel like i have a better handle on the speed.  Especially bc with the smaller pulley the max out speed isn't so "scary" anymore. Now I can finally focus on my upholstery projects. Thank you all again for your suggestions.

sofadoc

BTW I forgot to ask. What is the RPM of the motor? You want a 1725 RPM. Sometimes, used walking foot machines have been mis-matched with a 3450 RPM motor, which is designed for high speed tailoring machines.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

BlueFlamingo

I made my own speed reducer for my clutch powered machine.  Cost me $20 bucks for two bearings and a 1/2" x 8" bolt.  Took me one weekend to make it out of plywood and install it. Works great and I can now sew one stitch at a time just like those guys with the Servo Machines.  I'll try and post some pics of it later.