Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 08:56:20 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Pfaff 145 Thread breaking...help!

Started by Dhouse1062, January 14, 2016, 08:22:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Dhouse1062

I am sewing some 10 oz duck cloth and my thread keeps fraying and breaking. If I sew heavier fabric, no problem at all. Checked threading, tension, needle and thread...all seems fine. My repair guy is not responding, so I'm looking for some wisdom so I can finish my project. Thanks!

SteveA

I thought duck cloth was fairly heavy on it's own ?  You have an industrial machine I'm sure and the needle isn't too small and the thread not too old ?
A fabric can be heavier but one needle can work on one type of fabric better then another - you are using two different types of fabric - true ?

SA

sofadoc

Yeah, I don't get it either. 10 oz. is a decent weight.

It's usually the other way around. It's normally heavier fabrics that might cause fraying. Have you tried a bigger needle (even though that doesn't really make sense?).

"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Dhouse1062

I finally got in touch with the guy that works on the machine. I'm gonna pick up a heavier needle from him. He thinks the thread is being split by some action in the take up.

And yes, it is two different fabrics. The duck which is softer and the heavier fabric which is more dense and a tighter weave.

It's just very odd. Thanks for your input. I will see if the heavier needle works.

brmax

I think that's a great answer, a scenario I have some times follows- I end a line of stich where ever and grab a left hand of thread on left side take up arm then lift foot and move material. All is good but sometimes I somehow get thread wrapped around guard in front of take up lever  and that tension somehow starts a fray "only noticed late" or couple stiches.
If I'm hearing correctly I seem to feel it should do this more on heavier/vinyl or even more denier if same needle is being used. But pics are worth lots
Good day
Floyd

SteveA

With my 31-15 all is right when I follow the instruction manual -
Last stitch turn wheel so take up arm is at its height and when resuming lower needle before foot.  This along with the right thread matching the needle keeps me out of trouble. No thread breakage since beginning the practice.  One of these days a Consew/ walking foot/servo is in the plan -  I keep saying I'll buy it when the Singer dies but the Singer will outlast me  ?  What a machine - 75 years old and can't kill it.  I read about so many troubles with new machines - is it operator error or are the machines not made with the quality of years ago ?

SA

baileyuph

January 15, 2016, 06:31:08 am #6 Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 06:35:37 am by DB
Thread fray, for me often has been related to tension or wear in the thread path system.

Can't rule out anything but keep checking like you are doing.   Fraying is almost definitely (if thread is not the issue) related to mechanical or tension.

Old machines can be very durable, condition will follow.  The way things in every market are geared to price sells, it wouldn't surprise if there is some cost cutting in manufacturing of newer equipment.

What about replacement parts for older quality machines....new as good?

Parts made in Japan seemingly work very well for a long time for my machines.

The 31-15 or Consew equivalent made in Japan are very good machines.  It is convenient for one machine to do it all, but the heavier walker foot can be too much for some fabrics,  
that is where the 31-15 or can be the ticket, especially if there are no heavy welts to negotiate.  Then, some fabrics just don't like the walkers, you can get better seams out of the drop feed (the 15's).  Vinyls, hower are better managed through the walkers.

Thread can be related to tension, the nylon or some are not as flexible going through the machines and can be an issue.

For leather, walkers work better but there are special machines like Darren is familiar with that are the ticket and as he expresses, "in condition," is the key not the age.

One ticket can carry the business but changes can come and go as in any industry.

Since everything remains constant but the fabric, keep looking at the tension if thread quality is ruled out.  Clean that machine out, especially the thread path up and down.

The outcome could be interesting.

Doyle

Dhouse1062

Well, after walking away for a bit, I had an epiphany! Amazing, I know. I had just purchased some welting cord from a lady moving out of town and it was slightly stiffer than I normally use. Low and behold, I tried the duck cloth WITHOUT the welting cord (I had been working on welting) and no issue. Tried the welting....frayed and broke every time. Welting cord is the problem.  Now, I don't know what I'm gonna do with all that welting cord!

Thanks for all your thoughts. Clearing the mind and walking away is very helpful to think it through.

sofadoc

If the welt foot is too small for the welt cord you are using, the cord will deflect the needle, causing the hook point to fray the thread. A thicker needle will usually help if you don't have the proper size foot/cord match.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Dhouse1062

Thanks for this information. I picked up some larger needles today and now I will give that a try as I have more work and lots of that welt to use. Many thanks for the support. Always helpful.

Darren Henry

QuoteIf the welt foot is too small for the welt cord you are using, the cord will deflect the needle,

I use one size larger foot. i.e 99% of my work is 5/32 welt cord and I use 1/4" welt foot (or my double if required).
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

poppy79424

Pfaff 145? Thats a oldie but goodie. My grandmother used a 145. She started our business in 1948. My stupid uncle sold her old machine. We have several 545's and 2 1245's. Bigger bobbin machines. Nevertheless all Pfaffs ending in 45 are basicly the same machine. The never wear out. You just have to replace the bobbin hook assy once in a while. Try a 6.0 foot. You may also remove the nut on your tension spring and clean the dirt out between those 2 disks. Look at the hook on the bobbin assy, and make sure there isnt a burr on the point of the hook. Try Nymo thread. Nymo seems to work best on all 4 of my Pfaffs.
Quote from: Darren Henry on January 15, 2016, 03:09:30 pm
QuoteIf the welt foot is too small for the welt cord you are using, the cord will deflect the needle,

I use one size larger foot. i.e 99% of my work is 5/32 welt cord and I use 1/4" welt foot (or my double if required).