Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 29, 2024, 02:37:59 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Sprung seat cushions

Started by colette12, November 20, 2015, 01:39:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

colette12

Hello, I would like to hear from some experts! I am considering options for a sofa seat cushion and can choose between sprung seat cushions- I mean sprung in the cushion as well as the base, feather or latex. I have tried feather, and find they are too flat/hard to sit on, so the sound of a sprung cushion is appealing, but is latex even better? Many Thanks

brmax

Hi there, you have an interesting question for sure. I would think the same with feather/down, after the loft is flat its in need of the typical fluffing like a pillow.
just a second there

kodydog

November 20, 2015, 02:47:28 pm #2 Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 02:55:54 pm by kodydog
A feather and down mix is top of the line.  70% feather 30% down is normal. The more down the better. Goose feathers are better then chicken. But some people do find this squishy. And it is expensive. For a sofa plan on spending $400 to $600.

Next is a foam cushion with a spring core. The whole thing is covered with a down envelop. Once again fairly expensive. But when done right is very comfortable

Next is solid foam wrapped with a down envelop.

Or solid foam wrapped with dacron. Polyurethane is the most common and comes in different densities depending on your comfort level. This is most common and least expensive.

Latex is solid rubber. Hypoallergenic. And less toxic to the environment. It last longer than polyurethane and is very comfortable but costs about 4 times more.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Darren Henry

I do the warranty work for most of the furniture retailers in town and routinely have to exchange spring cored cushions because the have ripped the cheezy fabric bag that holds the springs in place inside the foam border that makes up the rest of the cushion. I always replace with polyurethane foam and have never had a complaint.

That said, these are not top end sofa's with down envelopes or feather/mix options like Ed was talking about. Maybe I just don't see the "good ones" because the sprung cushion outlasts the one year warranty.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

gene

A customer has a settee that has a foam/down wrap insert. She loves the 'French' soft look (as she calls it) of the cushion but it is too soft for her to sit on. I'll be replacing the foam insert with a more firm foam insert.

I don't know if anyone uses 100% feathers any more. The foam insert helps it to keep it's shape a lot longer. Other than someone wanting to pay a lot more money, are there any advantages to all feathers over a foam/feather wrap?

QuoteGoose feathers are better then chicken.
Hey, have you seen the price of horse feathers lately?  :o

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

colette12

Thank you for the replies and thanks Kodydog for that information, much appreciated! I am in the UK and feather cushions seem to be the high-end option, but then I had also read that much depends on the sprung base beneath the cushions.
Hi Darren, is interesting to read that the sprung cushions need replacing more often, there are not many manufacturers here that make them, as foam wrapped in fibre or fibre only seem to be the mainstream options.
I am leaning towards latex, but would be interested to hear if anybody has sat on sprung cushions and thinks they are the most comfortable!

Darren Henry

I don't feel any appreciable difference between spring cores and foam. The foam may be a wee bit firmer but at my weight it's hard to tell.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

gene

Collette, here's one guys' view on the subject. It's a bit slow but some good info.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z1SqllXIv0

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

colette12

Thanks Gene for the ytube link, it was very interesting and he made a good point about the body weight!