Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 29, 2024, 04:21:21 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Swiss cheese chair rail repair help please.

Started by cthomps, November 18, 2015, 06:23:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

cthomps

Good morning.  Could one of you really smart folks advise me as to how to repair this rail?  The nails pictured are what I removed from the two layers of webbing.  It appears that the previous upholster added another layer of webbing under the springs instead of replacing.  Thank you everyone. 

"Trying to make a living, one stitch at a time."

brmax

I have a 3 hour option with approximately 30.00 in materials, though I'm sure some others have ideas.

Stop by your local o-riley auto or marine repair shop and pick up a qt. of fiber glass resin w/hardener and next to it pick up some fibre glass cloth and you can use the remains of the yard next time. Oh they all have plastic gloves in the areas nowadays get some and a few mask they usually have some 3 packs. I'm considering micro small sanding or else get a pro 3m mask there on the pro shelf at 38.i think was last I recall.

I would pull the other nail.
Rough the surface with 60 grit where it kinda looks to have a finish because it was always there.(my eyes)
I would then mix a small amount of resin ( 3 glugs )hehehe or 1/4 of a top from an empty spray paint can.
With a paint brush ( like mine) worthless but decided you really might just be able to use it on a 5" line as it a 1" brush, oh sorry the rant.
Anyway I would (saturate) the surface first as its key and try to a maintain a level surface, this might take a couple coats ( small mix amounts ) several caps available or ask them at the counter for mixing cups " there so cool to have" and ya never have enough.
After this initial application has mostly dried you could cut a few sized patches graduating to build a better surface back.
Apply another thin surface application with resin and proceed with a layup of (saturated mat) trying best to remove all air in the material.
I find this stuff is great actually but working in small amounts "( as in no sanding amounts )".

I have never used this in a furniture type setting, but a lot of others.
Take this all with good thoughts it might be a useful somewhere.

Well lunch is over, good luck
Floyd

MinUph

Mix up some fine (bandsaw type) sawdust and glue and work it into the wood. Smooth it to the shape of the frame and it will dry in a day or two. Hard as needed and will hold tacks and staples like wood. Can be sanded but not as easy as getting it as close to the shape while applying. Make sure it is dry and hard before use. Even it takes longer. Fingernail pressed into it will tell you.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Darren Henry

I've used Paul's method with the sawdust from table and chop saws as well.

QuoteCan be sanded but not as easy as getting it as close to the shape while applying.

For there I'd cut some strips of wall panelling etc... the dimensions of the rail and clamp them on after I applied the mixture to squeeze it into the crevices and form it. A layer of wax paper or cling wrap will keep the mixture from sticking to your "forms".

One of the guys at work was a weapons tech. when he was in and swears by J-B weld. I've seen him use it on some similar "nasties" over in the RV shop and have fixed one of my shotgun stalks with it. I've always had more sawdust and quality wood glue than J-B weld on hand, so call this anecdotal information.

P.S Did you ever talk to Warkov about your mystery tool?
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

SteveA

Can you send a photo of the entire chair showing the damaged rail in the front view ?

SA

brmax

Good eye
I think with the pile of nails I should have ask is that part cracked through to the top.
Maybe a another view is a good idea here, I'm now also in favor and adding that because I have used large dowel like material for big and devastating breaks on fine furniture ( 3/4broom handle dowel ).
if a main part like this some what serious I would not hesitate a precision boring from the front to implement the repair with larger dowel materials.
Good day
Floyd

cthomps

Thanks everyone.  It was a 4" rail and it was only the bottom inch or so that was damaged.  I opted for building dams as suggested with cardboard and plastic.  I used two part wood epoxy mixed with sawdust to fill that part.  The other random holes I filled with sawdust and wood glue.  So far so good.  Thanks for all of the suggestions.

re: mystery tool.  No I haven't figured it out yet.  I have a hunting back tag holder on the market ( tagbagstore.com ) and I am just too busy with work to investigate.  The folks dropped off some additional parts at my brothers. (same color) It will be awhile for me to pick them up.  He is about 3 hours away.  When I get those parts and work slows down, I will look into it and let you all know what I find out.  I did learn the man had an upholstery shop in his garage, and a leather shop in the basement.  So I am leaning towards leather. 

Thanks again,  Have a great weekend!
"Trying to make a living, one stitch at a time."