Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 05:46:22 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

I Screwed Up (Literally)

Started by jojo, October 21, 2015, 04:54:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jojo

So I was screwing snaps into the windshield, and didn't drill the hole big enough. So when I screwed the snap stud in the head broke off of the screw. There is a little bit sticking out. Anybody know how to get this out of the aluminum? Should I file it down? Drill it out? Move out of town?

brmax

Spray a bit of wd40 and at the (little bit sticking out ? ) and by the way this is stupid crazy but I have did this in a clip ; ) with some big size clippers, or hemostats/medical things, or if lucky tiny vise grips.

As my old mentor taught "this critical part" slowly back & forth do this 20 times with out seeing it move then you have the wee bit motion correct, so about then it does actually move and you spinner out like a new prop.

I hope this helps and I'm cheering for ya, I cannot count how many times I have did this  ::)

Good luck on your mission and better days ahead
Floyd

SteveA

If there is enough to grab - maybe a wire cutters can pinch it enough to turn.  I grind my wire cutters to a point on the grinder - also helps for pulling nails from wood just below the surface.  Just don't overheat or grind the tip too much.
Alternatively get the dremel and level the surface.  Than with a tiny bit make a small concave hole in the screw so a drill bit won't wander. Use a colbalt bit - I get them in Sears.  Drill it out - good luck - don't move it's too expensive !

SA

Darren Henry

If vise grips won't bite onto what is sticking out file it down and drill a new hole just beside the broken one for the new snap. the new snap will cover the broken screw.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mike

October 22, 2015, 05:10:13 am #4 Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 05:11:48 am by Mike
Darren beat me.   Been there too mary times myself. Good luck.
Could have been alot worse. Drilled to deepmtouched the golass and shatter. Been there too once.

Darren Henry

QuoteDrilled to deepmtouched the golass and shatter

I didn't go too deep. The bone heads that glazed the window didn't leave the usual 1/4 " gap between the edge of the glass and the outside of the frame. 43' cabin cruiser, port side windshield,Friday afternoon on a long weekend, tempered glass, and the owners was coming from 2-3 hours away to live on their boat. Luckily the owner of the local glass shop was a neighbour and sled head buddy of my boss and in the same snowmobile club as me. And it was a flat piece of glass. That was not a good day, but we "got 'er dun!"

How did you make out Jojo?
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!