Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:53:02 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Shoe maker's kid/ I hate domestic machines!!!

Started by Darren Henry, September 21, 2015, 07:40:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Henry

We all know the shoemaker's kid ( or in my case his motorhome) goes bare foot. I finally broke down and started redoing the cushions in the old motorhome. I didn't want to do it at work so I borrowed the diaper's domestic machine so i could do it at home without interruptions or $$$ cab fares.

I hate domestic machines----temperamental  little sods!!!

It's a singer 9110 and I don't think I have it strung right. When I opened the floor plate the bobbin and carrier   went "sproing" ---so I'm guessing how that was strung. The needle alignment is also probably cocked up. Now that I have redone several electrical connections inside I can keep the power on---but it sews for a bit and then snaps the thread. I'm also trying to use a spool of sunguard thread the size of a soup can, so may be feed issues up top too.

Any one know the correct way to thread these little "darlings"?
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Dede

If you don't have the manual, maybe this will help:

http://www.singerco.com/support/instruction-manuals/search

The biggest needle my domestics can handle is 16 (sold as a "denim" needle) -- yours too, maybe?  Is 16 big enough for Sunguard?
West Village Studio
www.workroombuttons.com

Mojo

I started sewing at the age of 5. My Mom taught me on her old Singer. I loved it.
Fast forward 50 plus years. I hate the damn things and if any sewing on that machine has to be done
I summon the wife.

I really pissed her off one day when I referred to domestic machines as Suzy home maker machines.
I pointed to my twin needle Highlead and said " now this is a sewing machine ". She felt it was derogatory and showed no respect to the many women who sew on these machines.

Yes Dear....... :) I probably should watch my step. The last lady you want to piss off is an Aussie woman. Especially one who has no fear of anything ( Croc's, gators, poisonous snakes, rats, venomous spiders ). Nothing bothers her.

Chris

Dede

Quote from: Mojo on September 22, 2015, 08:06:46 am
I really pissed her off one day when I referred to domestic machines as Suzy home maker machines.
I pointed to my twin needle Highlead and said " now this is a sewing machine ".

Sometimes I need to sew something that my Juki would shred.  Hence... the domestic(s). 
West Village Studio
www.workroombuttons.com

Darren Henry

Thanks Dede. I only had time to scim over the manual, but I think it will be good to have on hand. I had the needle in right (figured the kerf had to face the hook just like any other machine) and their diagram shows the thread just angling across the room to the needle so I guess I'm not missing a thread guide at the top of the needle bar, so I guess I'll have get the thread to spool off the larger spool more smoothly or load it onto a smaller spool.

The store I went to only had 12 and 14 needles---which work okay ONCE you get the thread jammed through the tiny eye on them. I picked up a small spool of smaller diameter monofiliment thread while I was there so could go to that in a pinch I guess. I had an old domestic machine years ago that I could adapt the needles for my patcher to fit. Sweet---you can thread a #24 patcher needle from across the table, by candle light.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!