Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 09:05:32 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Get staples inside 1/4" groove?

Started by omh, August 29, 2015, 04:55:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

omh

Hello,

I am working on some Louis XVI chairs that have a groove that is about 1/4" wide around the seat and back pad. I have discovered that the nose of my stapler is too thick to fit inside the channel. Any suggestions - of staplers that will fit inside the channel or other approaches?

Thank you!

gene

I've heard folks say they filed the sides of the staple gun to make it narrower. I've never done this.

I've put staples in with my staple gun as far as they would go, and then used a screwdriver or metal chisel that fits the slot perfectly and tapped the staples all the way in with this tool and a mallet. But this has been with double welt cord.

Is this something that can be glued on with hot melt glue instead of staples?

Good luck.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Darren Henry

QuoteIs this something that can be glued on with hot melt glue instead of staples?

Or splined in like  a window screen with a welt with the salvage removed tapped into the groove to hold the material?
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

sofadoc

I've been using the same BEA stapler for about 15 years. The very first thing I did when I got it out of the box was grind the nose down a little. Before I even plugged an air hose into it. I grew up being told by other upholsterers and supply salesmen that it was standard procedure. When you get a new stapler, you immediately grind the nose some. Kinda like breaking in a new catcher's mitt.

Mainly for occasionally hiding a staple between double welt. But also for getting into narrow wood grooves, like omh describes.

Some brands of staplers require little or no grinding, because their nose isn't that fat to begin with.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

SteveA

I bought a tool a couple of years back from Double Rock.  The tip of the tool will set a staple that sticks up.  Works OK - maybe worth the investment.
SA

omh

Thank you so much, everybody! Very helpful.