Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:06:35 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Canvas guys

Started by MinUph, August 28, 2015, 07:22:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MinUph

Question for Mike, Chris and anyone else that works with Sunbrella type fabrics.
  I need to change the wording on my awning and want to know what paint will work on Sunbrella that will withstand the Florida sun. Or some place that I can have it done inexpensively. I plan on hand sewing a new skirt on the front of the awning.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mike

September 03, 2015, 07:48:29 pm #1 Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 07:52:41 pm by Mike
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CC0QFjABahUKEwiS-LX7q9zHAhVBLB4KHSasCO4&url=http%3A%2F%2Feu.sunbrella.com%2Fen_uk%2Fpdf%2FHowToApplyGraphicsToSunbrella_en.pdf&usg=AFQjCNEdFNt5DmsZHkBe-itrre-i3VsASQ&sig2=cpcukYFqaDXEYBoUzOJb-A

reads this I tried this once I cut a stencil with my vinyl cutter wedding out the letters leaving the reverse vinyl as a stencil I stuck this on the sunbrella Green rub the edges down good then with a acrylic latex in the same color as the canvas green I applied the firt primer coat  the green oaint will the fibers and sealed any bleed under the edge of the stencil is camoflagwd being the same color ap[ply a few coat to seal it good and built up covering the canvas fibers , some people used a clear coat instead of a matching color then apply the finnish color you want for your letters white ect let it dry fully between coats and on the final coat, then carefully remove the stencil

speaking of awnings paul they are building a parkway acroos from my house im one a corner with it and before there done 2o17 I wanr to repaint my house but also built awnings to dress up the look plus add shade to help cool the house

MinUph

Thanks for the tips Mike, Kinda what I planned but never thought of using black primer. The skirt will be black. I did find that instruction on Glen Ravens site. Maybe going to do it this week end. I will try to remember to take pictures before and after. It will be a bear hand sewing the skirt on in this heat but I gotta do it sometime. Don't want to pay the 800+ to have it done.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mojo

Paul:

Sorry I cannot offer advice or help. Never painted canvas before.

Chris

MinUph

Well I'm into it. I cut the stencil last night applied it this morning did a coat of black on the black Sunbrella, and just put the first coat of white on. One more coat and onto the next section. I just wish my table was long enough to do both words in one shot but that's OK. If it looks good I will post pictures when done.
  Thanks for the help.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

MinUph

I got it all hand sewn on this morning. Looks good and saved me around $700+ doing it this way.

https://goo.gl/photos/jpzmXgjhMTcfxiFx6
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Dede

Looks really, really good.  Window graphics look sharp, too.
West Village Studio
www.workroombuttons.com

MinUph

Thanks Dede,
  All by yours truly :)
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

Looks really great Paul. I can't even tell what part is hand-sewn.

"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kodydog

Looks great Paul.

You say you made a stencil. How?

You applied it to the canvas. Does the stencil have sticky on one side?

Then the rest is painting black primer to match the canvas and several coats of white paint. Did you use a brush or spray it on? Is this regular old paint you get at the hardware store?
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Mojo

Awesome. You dah man. :)

Chris

MinUph

Quote from: kodydog on September 09, 2015, 05:56:25 am
Looks great Paul.

You say you made a stencil. How? I have a vinyl cutter like to make vinyl lettering.

You applied it to the canvas. Does the stencil have sticky on one side? Yes it does.

Then the rest is painting black primer to match the canvas and several coats of white paint. Did you use a brush or spray it on? Is this regular old paint you get at the hardware store? Yes acrylic exterior paint as per Glen ravins recommendation.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mike

looks great paul I missed this last month huh , so you have your own vinyl cutter I sold mine last year to a guy in Miami,   I never used it only made a signs when I moved 3 times in the last 11 years I could use it now for my new windows.   kody when you cut out vinyl sign letters with colored vinyl sticky back. you just remove the negative and you have a stencil

MinUph

Thanks Mike,
The awning came out nice. I bought the cutter mainly to do the boat but have used it many times since. This was the first stencil i made wit it. Worked great.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website