Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 11:27:45 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Good form aluminum chair...arm pieces

Started by cajunpedaler, August 14, 2015, 09:55:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

cajunpedaler

I am a mid-century aficionado.  I have several Goodform chairs that have arms.  And on those arms, origninally there was a little pad that curved or conformed to the curve of the structure.  In 90% of the cases, that arm piece is gone or broken and I've not come up with a good way to re-create that.  Any body familiar with a fix that might work?
Perry
I can post a picture if it helps.
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success. If at first you fail, redefine failure.

SteveA

Just guessing - a heavy cardboard form - covered and attached with screws from underneath or door panel retainer posts ?
SA

MinUph

Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

Are you talking about a piece of bentwood that has been padded and covered? Possibly with small t-nuts?
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

brmax

I have one in need of a recovering, I have use this in my shop setting for at least 20 years.
Mine I think its the same if my search for pictures came up correct, anyway this one is all aluminum special formed box styles, mostly government spec types with green vinyl most likely.
Cajun the arms here I show a factory aluminum plate cut slightly smaller than arm/hand rest, its held on with 2 screws from bottom and also at the back edge of plate it has a square knotch out and here is where a sliver/piece from actual chair arm aluminum locks it in position.
sorry no pics, so maybe using .075 aluminum and rolling the front edge over as this is for a factory setup you could glue some padding onto it, as I cannot see another method that was used here on this.
I do agree the chairs are well thought out in there design, look forward to any fixes you come up with.
good day there