Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 10:47:58 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Bad batch of zipper

Started by cajunpedaler, July 30, 2015, 06:28:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

cajunpedaler

My preferred size of zipper has always been a #4 aluminum.  It's what I've always used.  This past month I bought a new 100 yd roll of zipper, sewed 9 cushions with zippers from that roll.  Two of those zippers spontaneously just come apart.  My supplier was willing to credit me.  He also suggested a 4.5 nylon zipper.  It is a coil zipper.  His pros were being able to sew right over it, and not messing up a needle or being able to cut it and scissors don't suffer.  However I've seen more nylon zippers go south than metal. 
Your input?
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success. If at first you fail, redefine failure.

MinUph

When I was in NY I used aluminum zippers. Never trusted the new fangles nylon ones. BUT when I started up again down here the shop was using 4.5 nylon. I find them to be much stronger, smoother, lighter, and better in everyway. I recommend them. As another plus they don't corrode, if thats the correct term for aluminum.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

kodydog

Yep everything Paul said. We've been using nylon for 16 years. Much stronger when stuffing a tight cushion.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

baileyuph

Some questions:

1.  Anyone else ever run into a bad batch of aluminum zippers?

2.  Anyone had an issue with nylon coil zippers?

3.  Anyone got a price comparison - they must cost about the same?

I have used and worked around both, don't recall a problem with either, just looking at
the coil it suggest being a good product.

Doyle

sofadoc

Back in the 80's, we always bought #4 aluminum zipper chain because someone had given us a box of 10,000 slides.

I don't know if it was the slides or the zipper, but we constantly had problems with them splitting open.

One day a salesman talked me into trying some 4.5 nylon. I liked it so well that I threw the 10,000 slides in the trash and never looked back.

I don't recall ever having a bad roll of nylon zipper.

I'm not sure what the difference in price is, but I'd buy nylon even if it cost 3X's as much.

What surprises me, is that most of the cheapo stuff that comes into my shop has nylon zipper. Normally, the low-end furniture manufacturers will do anything to save a nickel.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

gene

Yep. Me too. I use the same nylon. I carry white and black. I sew a lot of knife edge pillow covers and such and I've never needed another color.

I have never had a problem with the nylon zippers. I have a bit of aluminum but I have never had a need to use it.

Yes, Paul, aluminum corrodes. Aluminum turns to aluminum oxide. Technically iron rusts, not aluminum.

Nylon does not corrode. It deteriorates if left in the sun. This is why we always put the zipper in the back of the cushion cover.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

I just looked at my zipper stock and matched it with the supply catalog that I ordered it from.

Apparently unbeknownst to me, the last 3 rolls of zipper that I received were in fact 4.5 polyester, not nylon.

I paid $24.95 each for three 100 yard rolls. I've compared it to the nylon zipper, and can't tell the difference. Slides BTW are $6.95 per 100.

And looking at the same catalog, I see that #4 aluminum tape cost twice as much for 100 yards. And the slides are also twice as much per 100. I don't get that at all. Aluminum zipper would have to be almost free for me to even consider it.

I've seen some aluminum zippers on indoor furniture that corroded for no good reason at all. Just humidity I guess, or perhaps liquid spills or pet pee.

Quote from: gene on July 31, 2015, 07:58:45 pm
I carry white and black.......... I've never needed another color.
I always felt the same way, until I started stocking beige too. Now, when I'm choosing the most appropriate color for a job, I tend to gravitate to the beige more often. It may just have to do with the fabric colors that are trending right now. I'm using very little white zipper lately.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kodydog

I suppose there could be a bad batch of almost anything you order. Staples, cotton, dacron, button twine, gimp, fabric and the list could go on. It would be easier to list the things that I have never had problems with. Tissue welt cording comes to mind.

Cajun, give the nylon zipper another chance, I think you'll be pleased.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html