Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 12:42:11 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Sewing a hide with hair

Started by cajunpedaler, July 30, 2015, 03:01:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

cajunpedaler

I have a project that involves sewing a hide with hair...I don't know if the creature is/was horse or cow?  It had hair.  I am inserting the hair part into a border of hairless, finished leather.  My concern is how to keep hair from having "cowlicks" as I seam it together.  I have sewed leather many times.  I use a leather needle, pray that I get it right the first time, etc.
I am wondering if I "shave the hide just a millimeter or so into the seam allowance.  I do have hair clippers that I could do just that. 
Any ideas or experiences on this?
Thanks.
Perry
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success. If at first you fail, redefine failure.

kodydog

You just reminded me of a project Rose did a while back. A customer asked her to make two pillows from these hides. The way she solved the hair issue was to sew them and then go back and pick the hairs out with a needle. Worked for her.

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html