Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 13, 2024, 03:21:27 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Shop Table

Started by brmax, July 17, 2015, 11:30:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

My cutting table is 47" high.

For the first few years I had lower back pain. I read that you should be able to stand beside your table and have your elbow rest on the top. I did this and I haven't had lower back pain for 8 or 9 years now.

I've talked to other folks and this does not seem to be an issue for them. For me it works great. I have a long bench stool that I stand on when I need to lean across the table. My table is 60" wide.
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

I guess it never occurred to me to make a table any height other than the sewing machine that I butt up to it.

Maybe it's just what I'm used to, but I don't think I could ever get used to having my sewing machine separate from my table.

I'm 5'8". My table is around 30" high. I can barely reach across it to the other side now. If it were 47", I'd need a step ladder.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mike

my table is 30" like the machines  7 '1/2 feet wide and I always have to reach across as far as I can using 60"  wide canvas. my last shop I had 2 sewing table 30" one id cut on and the other sewed the job unless 2 job were going at once , sure tller would be nice but I don't have room for more then one table  last place had 2 tall assembly table also with storage under

Darren Henry

The shop I'm in has a cutting table about the height Gene suggest ( at 5'6" it's about elbow high on me) and I have a 30" table between the two machine with a drop leaf that extends it to 60+".I begrudge the waste of space, but it is easier on the back.  I have to run around to the other side for 60" goods regardless. If it wasn't for June , I'd be the shortest one here LOL.

Where I apprenticed the tables where higher than a standard machine so the machines all sat on 4'X4' base to bring them up to the table. I recall them being 2X4's on edge with a plywood top---but they may have been 2X6.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

brmax

August 22, 2015, 07:10:58 pm #19 Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 07:23:16 pm by brmax
Progress Update, With some great help and ideas here ( Big thanks )I managed to build the three main table modules and they are with the 2" x 1/8 angle material. The covering structure has some 3/4" b/c sheathing for the bottom shelf area and for the top 3/4 mdo plywood. The structure I painted n primed with gray rustoleum, the plywood was primed with some oil based Zinsser and followed up with some white premium enamel from Vansickle, and usinge hardener in the 2 top coats. All the paint seemed to roll out ok with a couple different foam rollers using a standard 9" foam and even though a couple different makes seem to have a lot of bubbles this I was expecting a "bit"  but had more so than planned, so while wielding a 9 I followed shortly as planned with these little 6" white foam covers slowly this done in sections trying to keep a wet edge of sorts and worked great- uh as can be for rolling and lucky no ropes found.
There are 3 sections 2 are 6' wide x 8' one is with machine and seat area cutout completely the other forward section is a 6' x 6' keeping in my work area constraint, so total table is 22' x 6' and bottom structure shelf is 24" clearance below. The adjustable leg stubs I made primarily because a couple floor drains in this area unlike the class a floor on opposite side, oh well.  Any way this setup I'm running at present is a 38" top height and gives my lower shelf clearance or height a 12".
Now before some other question for ideas I will mention or explain some things I have run into and some I read about and should have considered more, so I will say what I recommend if certain pieces or styles are used to help in future endeavors.
Machine height with a k stand as in my case and opinion not designed to be at 38" so a complete lower shelf area could and should I think be setup or planned for. I made a 4.75"plywood box for the k stand its a pain even having locking casters.
Anyway I finally set one of the machines in place yesterday eve finally, a mini hyd jack helps adjust.
I now or next week will start plans on a 2' extension that drops down left table side, along with some plans with some of your experience in ideas for flat/sheet goods storage.
I today took a good look at some 12" sono tubes, thinking about getting a couple 12'rs and cutting them in half, as some cheap ones are close to 20$for a6' its a consideration for some kinda small organization I like.

Darren Henry

Quoteseem to have a lot of bubbles this I was expecting a "bit"  but had more so than planned, so while wielding a 9 I followed shortly as planned with these little 6" white foam covers slowly this done in sections trying to keep a wet edge of sorts and worked great- uh as can be for rolling and lucky no ropes found

I spent a year working in my friends' sigh shop before I hung out my shingle. [seem like the honourable thing to do before I became my trainer's competitor]  What we used to do preparing billboards (4X8 sheets of what ever) was "tip them off" as soon as we finished painting them. All this entailed was taking the damp roller we had in our hand and instead of re-loading it in the tray we rolled it over the substrate using very light pressure and long smooth strokes. Really cut down or eliminated the orange peel.

QuoteI made a 4.75"plywood box for the k stand its a pain even having locking casters.

The bases I mentioned in my previous post were permanent, had no wheel, and accommodated both machine and operator.

Quotealong with some plans with some of your experience in ideas for flat/sheet goods storage.

the best set up I've seen is what we had at the sign shop and the techs have over in our RV shop. 4X8 sheets are stood on end in compartments framed out of 2X4's . Picture the reflection of a library in the fun house mirror that makes everything look really tall and skinny.

OMG I'm old! I almost said like the K-tell record holder turned side ways LOL.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

brmax

Morning!
Getting old Hmmh, surely not with that knowledge their gonna name a dictionary site after ya : )
try to remember us as I'm sure we would all like to go play ping pong a while and call it a stress relieving trip (paid of course).
That roller trick is an excellent one, I was trying to keep the small rollers that way almost loaded and wrung completely out as I heard when they make the sticky sound there a bit to dry, Still learning here so all is good.
I worked up the wood stand/box like you mentioned for the machine only on this table, I think this is the ticket. My excuse for the just machine couldn't be ? because I was out of ply but was because I'm using a couple old auction find drafting stools nothin special, and seriously need recovered but have got used to them in the other shop. I remember my first stand project was putting casters on the machines and I guess the wheels they seem handy.
I recall the fold away panels stands in the box stores that's a bit bigger scale right now, though the best for plywood, poly or lexan stuff storage for sure.
I'm thinking maybe 2 or 3 shelves something like 3" tall smaller shelves just under the main table surface for clear vinyl and maybe some starboard and door panel type sheet goods. This all might just fit above 5, 12" sono tubes on the lower shelf, its a thought I'm considering over coffee.
Thanks and good day there

brmax

I picked up a steel sew table with one machine earlier in the year and it has a machine area cutout made in it, some dimensions are a 3' forward of machine and 18" to the left side and roughly 3' from machine towards rear they used it in their binding work.
I been hammering it around to expand this just a bit for a separate area and needing a bit more table to left.
Well I'm able to keep a decent walk area in front with the same 3' forward and with a widening to the machine table left at 4' If I then stay with the 3' from machine to rear I can still walk around. It would be nice for a section directly behind for rolls of stuff and other storage but this particular spot I'm cut short and I need the walk around room.
So today figuring a material list for this rehash/re something and adding it with my other needed extension material I can go stop in at the machine shop for a work order placement.
Just keep moving forward they say!

brmax

October 01, 2015, 10:03:12 am #23 Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 05:02:17 pm by brmax
I wanted to share some pics primarily because of all the examples and ideas I have had from you all here upholstery.com, coverandcushion.com, thehogring.com, just to name a few. I have found that in a new build situation if one can use something of size temporarily it can be more accurate in some decisions, I was super lucky and found a deal on the blue Styrofoam and use it in these table builds, at 7.00 a sheet several years ago versus 27. a no brainer its 2"; )

Big thanks, its a process starting up and I'm having a blast!
ps its been a long tough choice for my photo storage and it is also a new process

Thank you

Floyd

http://www.wheelhousecanvas.com/Shop-Works/Canvas-Work-Table/

Darren Henry

Nice job Floyd. I love a good bit of overkill. You could cut up moose on those bad boys LOL.

I guess I'm a bit thick, though. where did you use the 2" styrofoam insulation? That isn't your surface material is it? Your pics said MDO.

It would be nice for a section directly behind for rolls of stuff and other storage but this particular spot I'm cut short and I need the walk around room.

I bet roll goods are a PITA in a narrow shop like that. I've got a couple of bins of roll goods that are too close to the cutting table that drive me nuts.

It won't solve the problem ---but! what about a free standing rack that straddled the table down at the far end like you see at the flooring retailer's? My table back in my own shop was butted against a wall at the "far end" and I made a ladder of hooks up the wall for the most common stuff. I did a lot of boats so my heavy rolls of window plastic where on the bottom , then a couple of racks for the sunbrella of the day etc... and the bug screen up top. It would save you a lot of trips out to the shed with 50 yard rolls of vinyl [wink].

brmax

That's a lot of stations for cutters, wrapers, umbrella drink makers, & couple a bosses as the norm haha, its 11 gauge pretty lite really.
  As always Darren I'm hitting the nail and your driving it home, rock on!
Ya have to remember I was a heavy equipment mechanic not quite the writer, though a certified tech writer way back for mechanic techs and good thing there were editors sometimes. Maybe I should reread that cert, may have said certifiable ? haha

What I meant was the stuff came in handy using some cut pieces for area table planning and such, just threw it on some saw horses to have a look see and wahla.
I put a few different pics of small foam table sizes up just for ideas someone might use as it helped me, the foam worked pretty good for that as I have had 30 sheets for a good while.
( for good mention; Chicago studies have proven it requires 1.5" of this type to make a proper moisture barrier without sweating as the humidity here in Midwest is like drinking your air ).

The rack you mention and room available, I am still in need of reworking a mobile one but getting it around the back could be done but tight moving back and forth although some area back there for getting it out the way.
I'm putting a bender I picked up on the wall where I have placed some foam real close to the machine and a crowner at the forward end, that's when I find a deal on one of them someday so anyway the wall clearance is a bit closer than wanted at 30" and my old rack at 34" base with a straight back and angle front.
Another part I think for answering was me mentioning the available room around the machine area for rolls of binding maybe mountings of different types under table and behind me, the smaller table is a bit different and I was considering ideas for small roll good hangers, milk crates, and some things that I might need to weld while all was out in other shop.

good days there
Floyd

Darren Henry

QuoteWhat I meant was the stuff came in handy using some cut pieces for area table planning and such, just threw it on some saw horses to have a look see and wahla.

I wondered if that was what you had done.

When I laid out my shop I made scale paper cut outs of all my equipment etc...and a scale drawing of the irregular shaped room. My finisher (shoe making machinery ) weighs  a  ton even though it's in three sections. I only wanted to move it once!! It was kinda like a doll house for red necks. " and I can make a table this big over here for gluing"---"and the fridge fits right over here"......

SteveA

Floyd
Those are the nicest work tables I've seen in a sewing shop bar none - thanks for sending the photos
There was no learning curve that I could see -
SA

brmax

Thanks Steve
  Its been some of the great ideas mentioned around here and appreciate it.
I made another 5" high plywood box for a k-stand at the small table, and yesterday put the top coat paint on it, It needed some rope handles to drag or carry and it finally dried so loaded up the machine.
Trying to keep in my mind adjusting machine and table heights for machines to interchange when needed, seems the tv makes it tough when good plays are watched.
Gotr done leveled and pushed the old stool up and noticed I needed it higher ? oh man, then I just stood there and thought I can sew standing, not happening.
Trucked to the machine shop, Friday 4:00 crowded and got a welcome : ) so I picked up the bar stock for the stool, I needed a couple feet of 1" cold roll and because its an old drafting type stool and things are a bit more workable. 
Measured and cut a bit off, drilled some set height guide holes as the stool has a hand screw positions for adjustments so I made .5" adjustments for an 8" area.
Might this weekend get a few more items started, just stoked to get to this stage.

Good day there
Floyd

brmax

October 19, 2015, 07:13:00 pm #29 Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 02:04:28 am by brmax
I wanted to post up and mention the start to a ( roll goods rack discussion) and its mounted on the end of one of the tables I been working up. The need is there to have some better access to a few materials of the day or week.

The space at the end is a close 4' with no turning room for any pro storage on casters, so with some looking around in a search here.  I don't seem to get the super correct search word ever, and so some of the pictures of fabric roll goods racks, stands through different setups many have had here would be cool to look at. ( where's the sign :)

You know in some special projects and regular experiences, everyone has made some easier time savers so hunting them has been pretty windy on the tracking trail, its never easy for the good stuff.

Heck I even listen a bit and decided its go time for a semi permanent rack mounted to the existing table with the main uprights touching the floor somehow.

Your ideas and experience, as always welcome here.
good days there

Floyd