Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 05:04:46 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Button stuff

Started by brmax, July 12, 2015, 09:02:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

brmax

Hi everyone
  I have located a used button press and so picked it up,  Its a Jr. model with 22 and 30 dies.
There looks to be several tufting needle and tooling selections needed for the task,  these I will plan to purchase so could use some experiences to make first and further along selections needed items. with that I can keep a eye on any tool sales etc.
I welcome your recommendations and do appreciate it.
  Some questions also is what eyelet 44 small or 9 large size I see on an Osborn page I just found and have been thumbing thru along with above sales, should I select one over the other and possibly any brief laymen reasons.
Another struggling question is caps or tops material choice, lost here on that. Confused with rust resistant top choice yet I don't see that term for bottom/eyelet.
Its a step here so thanks for your tips

sofadoc

July 13, 2015, 05:56:30 am #1 Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 06:31:03 am by sofadoc
You can buy the eyelets (backs) in plastic form for outdoor applications, but all steel backs are zinc plated for rust resistance. The caps (shells) come in regular or rust resistant (notice that I said "rust resistant".........NOT "rust proof"). If you leave a button tufted cushion exposed to constant beverage spilling, rust will eventually form.

I prefer the #44 loop eye. It's smaller and therefore doesn't make as big a hole in the fabric.

Keep an eye on E-bay for additional dies. Sometimes the bidding gets crazy, but other times you can pick up a used set of dies at a significant savings over buying new ones.

They make the dies in different weights. The heavy weight dies are better for making vinyl, leather, and thick fabric buttons.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

brmax

Thank you, the help with decision is made and will start with some 44s.
The times looking on ebay seller stores have been an eye opener with different dies, interesting in a way. Not that using the weed eater on the terraces outside for the last hour help that interest but seems sacrilegious to do that work to early and let the coffee just sit to cold.
Not having looked into the plastic ones yet are they used with a press also, reason I ask is some snap ring types have came up in the few searches. I don't want to do the shortcut here without proper home work so will do a bit of looking today.
Appreciate the help this morning, Good day

Darren Henry

reason I ask is some snap ring types have came up in the few searches.

Those are called Dura-snap rings. They work with your #30 dies (regular or heavy as appropriate) to make buttons that snap onto a standard snap fastener. Not used much in soft furnishings---but cat's meow for padded and upholstered boards like boat interiors, or inside RV's. Mount your panel with a #6 wood screw (I'm guessin' #1 phillips down there) and a snap cap, cover it with a matching button---budda boom budda bing.

I prefer the #44 loop eye. It's smaller and therefore doesn't make as big a hole in the fabric.

Up here we have no choice as to the size of the loop---only the size of the back (#22/#30/etc...). What I was always shown was to squeeze the eye shut with a pair of pliers once the button twine was passed through and then set them. i.e make the "O" into an "I". pssssttt this also keeps the button twine from falling out as you're getting the needle through in an awkward spot.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

brmax

Hey thanks Darren that's something on the dura snap that will come in handy no doubt, initially passed right by them as they were over my head at the time, not now and big thanks
I bet that has been handy many a time with putting the squeeze on the string, as taking a look for the same pull as other buttons and a quick tie off made easier. Great tip and super help for sure
A by the way still putting some angle together for tables and probably getting it more as ya mentioned, had to go picked up a full 75/25 bottle for the mig 82bucs huurrtme.

Dede

Psst... Darren... sent you a PM. ;)
West Village Studio
www.workroombuttons.com

Darren Henry

psst---Dede---replied to it. grin.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

byhammerandhand

Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Dede

West Village Studio
www.workroombuttons.com

Darren Henry

Quiet---we're gonna get caught