Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:16:21 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Caster Wheel

Started by brmax, July 02, 2015, 09:05:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

brmax

Hi there you all, I had looked around a bit for some wheels to mount on my table build.
The ones selected came in today and look like they will work as planned. I wanted to share a thought or two about the total lock ability with a brake, they in hand look HD with the pedal/lever to engage both options at once seems quite durable "will see" I mention this because some other sizes I have in past were plastic and not boot tough. These rate enough for my tables I do believe and now some new plans to use 4 on my band saw as its way over due for a caster setup. Shipping gets up a bit though for a quantity but I believe you can be happy with them and a one time thing you could say.
fyi no issues on the sale
Good day there

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Total-Lock-Stem-Caster-TS-1-2-13x1-Polyurethane-Wheel-4-x-1-1-4-Bearing-/151428119761?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2341d1bcd1

SteveA

Those are quality wheels but may raise the band saw up too much.  Type in mobile machine  bases - there are at least two good companies supplying them at a reasonable cost.
SA

brmax

That's a good point Steve, I was just the other day measuring the surface height on it and though tough It was realized the stand would need to be lowered. Tough on a first new machine in the early 90s Woodwork was then like therapy getting away from machinery.

I wanted the lower enclosed saw version but slim pickins back then dealt other priorities.
This is a good time to talk to my tinner buddies and have them shear some pieces to cover and rivet to the stands sides these guys have worked wonders for me through the years.

I do remember the factory mobile stand as you mention and have taken a look again this morning they are pretty cool, keeping a safety factor in the design as when you lift foot it lowers its structure and is sitting back stable on floor. I think that delta model is half the price it was 20 odd years ago hmm, excellent ideas thanks

MinUph

On my 12" Craftsman band saw I wanted to be able to move it easily but didn't want to add any height to the saw, or allow it to roll when in use. So I came up with this.
  I bolted a board on the front of the saw legs and put two castors on it. When I tilt the saw forward it travels on the the wheels. When I raise it back to position the castors no longer come into play and it is solid on it's legs. Works well. 
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

Quote from: MinUph on July 03, 2015, 07:02:58 am
On my 12" Craftsman band saw I wanted to be able to move it easily but didn't want to add any height to the saw, or allow it to roll when in use. So I came up with this.
  I bolted a board on the front of the saw legs and put two castors on it. When I tilt the saw forward it travels on the the wheels. When I raise it back to position the castors no longer come into play and it is solid on it's legs. Works well. 
I like this idea. Like most of us in small shops, it's nice to be able to roll things like table saws out of the way when we aren't using them.

Way to go Paul. At last, you're using your head for something besides a hat rack.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

MinUph

I thought that was what it was for. Now I know differently. Maybe I will take the 20 hats I have off and see what happens.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

brmax

You totally win this one Paul, my hats off to ya hehehe